Kahlua Balls

Kahlua Balls - 5

With Christmas only about a week away, I’ve been busy wrapping up loose ends. The shopping is done and most of the presents are wrapped, but if you can believe it, I’m a little behind on my holiday baking! Therefore, this week I’m going to be sharing some quick and easy “last-minute gift” recipes. While I was working on putting together some homemade gift baskets last week, I decided that I wanted to include rum balls in some of them. However, a quick check in the refrigerator revealed that I was out of rum – but, I still had a half-full bottle of Kahlua. Wanting to use what I had on hand, I modified my rum ball recipe, and now I’m not sure I want to go back to the original! I gave away samples to a few people as well, and they’ve already put in their orders for a batch or two of these for their own holiday gifts. These are definitely going into my permanent Christmas treat rotation…and I hope you enjoy them, too!

In a large bowl, whisk together the crushed graham crackers, powdered sugar, cocoa powder, and chocolate.

Kahlua Balls - 1

Stir in the vanilla, agave, Kahlua, and coffee until the dough comes together.

Kahlua Balls - 2

Shape the dough into 1″ balls. Roll them each in the granulated sugar.

Kahlua Balls - 3

Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days to develop the flavor. Makes 15-20 balls.

Kahlua Balls - 4

Posted by on December 19, 2011.

Tags: , ,

1. I really need to make these. For breakfast.

by Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies on Dec 19, 2011 at 12:09 pm

2. These looks delicious, I actually have a bottle of Kahlua at home that I haven’t use. Thanks for sharing

by Kathia on Dec 19, 2011 at 1:04 pm

3. These look right up my alley. Thanks!

by Aimee @ ShugarySweets on Dec 19, 2011 at 1:32 pm

4. YUM!

by Blog is the New Black on Dec 19, 2011 at 1:37 pm

5. I may have to try this!!! Very creative 🙂

by Amanda on Dec 19, 2011 at 2:06 pm

6. Tracy these look fabulous!! I’m totally down for some Kahlua and chocolate. Wish you could bring me some 🙂

by Cookbook Queen on Dec 19, 2011 at 2:27 pm

7. What a brilliant idea! I’m definitely going to have to try this one out! And you’re not the only one behind on Christmas baking…I still have a TON to do! YIKES.

by Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl on Dec 19, 2011 at 2:34 pm

8. I can believe that the Kahlua beats out the rum–mmm!

by Jenna on Dec 19, 2011 at 3:51 pm

9. Oh my word! I love this! My close friend is a kahlua junkie and would go absolutely bonkers for these. Thanks!

by Katrina on Dec 19, 2011 at 4:23 pm

10. I love Kahlua – so these sound way better than Rum Balls! Just perfect, Tracy!

by Jamie | My Baking Addiction on Dec 19, 2011 at 5:07 pm

11. Wow… they look great! Kahlua is soooo good !

by Emily ~So Domesticated on Dec 19, 2011 at 6:50 pm

12. I actually have had a tiny bottle of Kahlua for awhile that I’ve been meaning to either drink or bake with! How many did you get out of the recipe? Thinking maybe I could halve or quarter it…

by Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) on Dec 19, 2011 at 10:18 pm

13. I’m an idiot and can’t read 🙂 I see 15-20… thinking I could cut it in half… thanks!

by Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) on Dec 19, 2011 at 10:19 pm

14. Wow, this is so simple and yumm.

Can the Kalhua be substituted with any other Liqueur?

Thanks
    Shyla

by Shyla on Dec 20, 2011 at 2:09 am

15. oh my goodness! I have fond memories of my mom’s rum balls. Before I had to go Gluten-Free, she would ask me what kind of cookie I wanted her to make when I visited for Christmas and I would always request Rum balls and another kind of chocolate-orange cookie. This Kahlua version sounds delicious. I may pass this recipe on to her.
    Merry Christmas!!!

by G. on Dec 20, 2011 at 12:20 pm

16. Darn! I used up the last of my Kaluah drizzled over mocha ice cream! (You just have to try it) I’ll have to make rum balls this year, but I’m keeping this recipe!

by margaret on Dec 20, 2011 at 12:41 pm

17. Yup, printing this out NOW to make for my last minute baking needs! AMAZING!!

by stephchows on Dec 20, 2011 at 1:00 pm

18. These look terrific. Love your presentation. Come over and visit. We have a wonderful pimento cheese quiche appetizer for the holiday season. Merry Christmas.

by carolinaheartstrings on Dec 20, 2011 at 3:21 pm

19. What a fun treat for the holidays!

by Maria on Dec 20, 2011 at 5:57 pm

20. Sounds delicious, I love Kahlua!

by Cindy B. on Dec 20, 2011 at 7:29 pm

21. Oh my gosh, Tracy… I want to make a triple batch of these. And, keep them for myself! As much as I love rum, I’ve never been big on rum balls. But, Kahlua? Absolutely! This gives me the idea to try Amaretto balls, too… Which would help me to get rid of the giant bottle of Disaronno I have hanging out in my pantry. 🙂

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Dec 20, 2011 at 11:04 pm

22. I just made these but used Drambuie!!! Oh LA LA.. they are amazing. These will be on my Hogmanay buffet this year.

by linda Ferris on Dec 21, 2011 at 9:49 am

23. Oh my goodness, I want alllll of these! I love Kahlua but Kahlua balls?! Yes please! 🙂

by Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels on Dec 21, 2011 at 7:11 pm

24. Oh my gosh these are genius! These definitely trump my peanut butter balls 🙂

by Sarah @ a Dash and a Pinch on Dec 21, 2011 at 11:11 pm

25. I love a quick and easy homemade gift!

by Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen on Dec 22, 2011 at 9:42 pm

26. Hello:

I noticed that your instructions never indicate when to add the brewed coffee. I am going to assume it goes at the same time as the vanilla, agave and kahlua.

by marbaird on Dec 23, 2011 at 2:20 pm

27. Marbaird – Thanks for letting me know! You are correct, and I have updated the instructions accordingly. 🙂 Merry Christmas Eve!

by Tracy on Dec 24, 2011 at 12:54 pm

28. These look like a great idea to take to a New Years Eve party that we’re going to at a friends house…..thanks!

by Culinary Collage on Dec 28, 2011 at 12:42 pm

29. Is 7:31am too early to eat these?!? 😉

I just happen to have Kahlua in the house and I really think these are calling my name!

by bridget {bake at 350} on Dec 29, 2011 at 9:33 am

30. I think this is the best recipe I have seen in a really long time…lol. I think I’m gonna make some to take to work and hope that loosens people up a little bit!! Thanks for sharingf!!!

by Angie on Dec 29, 2011 at 10:33 am

31. these sounds soo incredibly good. these will totally be on my table at New Years.

by christina @ ovenadventures on Dec 29, 2011 at 2:54 pm

32. i see agave in the directions but not in the listed ingredients? do i need agave then and how much?

by heidi on Jan 2, 2012 at 4:30 pm

33. oops now i see it.

by heidi on Jan 2, 2012 at 4:31 pm

34. I would like to mail these and I was wondering if they need to be kept refrigerated.

Thanks.

by betty hatfield on Sep 10, 2014 at 10:33 pm

35. Betty – I don’t usually refrigerate them. Hope that helps!

by Tracy on Sep 11, 2014 at 3:03 pm

36. Thanks so much, Tracy. I can’t wait to make these.

by betty hatfield on Sep 17, 2014 at 9:12 pm

37. Where do you get the agave? Grocery store item?? I’m going to add these to my goodies list for Christmas for sure.

by Chris on Oct 22, 2014 at 4:04 pm

38. Chris – Yes, you can get it at the grocery store – I usually find it in the natural foods section. Hope that helps!

by Tracy on Oct 30, 2014 at 2:29 pm