Eggnog Scones

Eggnog Scones - 6

With Christmas less than two weeks away, the level of preparation has reached “frantic” around here. I think it’s because I still have a little of everything left to do: a little Christmas shopping here, a little holiday baking there, a few gatherings to attend, and the list goes on. I’m trying to focus all my energy this week on checking things off my list so that I don’t have to worry about them anymore, since I’m totally type A like that. In the midst of all the bustle, I made these eggnog scones, another change-up of my favorite recipe. I usually like to store them in the freezer unbaked if I’m not going to be baking them right away, but this time I baked them first and then froze them, so that I can simply warm them in the oven or microwave when we’re looking for a quick breakfast or snack. I may even whip up another batch for Christmas morning – I’ll have to add it to the list! I hope all of your holiday preparations are going smoothly!

For the topping:

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.

Eggnog Scones - 1

Cut the butter into tablespoon-sized pieces and incorporate it into the dry ingredients. In another large bowl, whisk together the eggs, vanilla, and eggnog. Whisk the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.

Eggnog Scones - 2

Eggnog Scones - 3

Turn the dough out on to a floured surface and knead to combine.

Eggnog Scones - 4

If you’re not using a scone pan, separate the dough into halves. Shape each half of dough into a circle, and then cut each half into four wedges. If you are using a scone pan, spray it lightly with cooking spray. Divide the dough into equal pieces and press them into the pan. Brush with the eggnog and then sprinkle with the granulated sugar.

Eggnog Scones - 5

Place the pan of scones in the freezer, uncovered, for about 30 minutes. Then, remove the scones from the freezer and put them right in the oven. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove them to a wire rack to cool.

Eggnog Scones - 7

Posted by on December 13, 2011.

Tags:

Categories: breads & pastries, breakfast & brunch

1. What a smart use of leftover Eggnog too, Tracy! They’re just gorgeous.

by Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies on Dec 13, 2011 at 12:53 pm

2. I love anything eggnog–these look just great! And I *need* one of those scone pans! :-)

by Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl on Dec 13, 2011 at 1:19 pm

3. @Amber : LEFTOVER eggnog? Whoever heard of such a thing?
    Tracy, you made me love scones with the cranberry scone recipe — and you helped me not be too intimidated to make them! (I thought they’d be difficult, but they aren’t.) These look good… but I still have cranberries in my freezer!

by Oldfangled on Dec 13, 2011 at 1:24 pm

4. Oh heaven help me. This might be my new favorite scone. They look amazing! Come visit. We have a great Kahlua hot cocoa this week and today we are giving away a wonderful Christmas present. A great book and it comes autographed! Come by and register to win.

by carolinaheartstrings on Dec 13, 2011 at 1:33 pm

5. I love the use of eggnog in baking–what a great idea! These little treats will be perfect to make over Christmas . . . maybe even with homemade eggnog in them. Mmm!

by Jenna on Dec 13, 2011 at 2:16 pm

6. im not a huge scone person…but eggnog scones?! oh yeah, i could down with those :)

by Alexis @ There She Goes on Dec 13, 2011 at 3:28 pm

7. Love these scones! I love eggnog flavored things more than eggnog itself.

by Jessica @ How Sweet on Dec 13, 2011 at 5:44 pm

8. Eggnog in a scone? What a perfectly delicious idea. Bookmarked! Thank you!

by Bobbi on Dec 13, 2011 at 5:51 pm

9. These sound amazing!!

by Jessica on Dec 13, 2011 at 6:45 pm

10. I’m with Oldfangled – no such thing as leftover eggnog. It never goes to waste around here!

by Casey@Good. Food. Stories. on Dec 13, 2011 at 8:55 pm

11. These scones are perfect for the holidays! I absolutely love them and can’t wait to try :)

by Katrina on Dec 13, 2011 at 10:46 pm

12. They do look tasty! Might have to try those.

by Katherine on Dec 13, 2011 at 11:00 pm

13. Bless my soul, these wouldn’t last a minute in my freezer if they went in there pre-baked. Can’t wait to try them!!!!

by Aimee @ Simple Bites on Dec 13, 2011 at 11:05 pm

14. Oh my… Did you know that I’m currently obsessed with eggnog? Can’t wait to make these scones.

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Dec 13, 2011 at 11:42 pm

15. Mmm I can’t wait to try eggnog flavored treats. We have yet to buy the stuff, so when we do, eggnog scones are at the top of the list.

by Becca on Dec 14, 2011 at 12:28 am

16. omg love this one!

by Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. on Dec 14, 2011 at 10:35 am

17. Yum! I love eggnog-everything :)

by Lori @ RecipeGirl on Dec 14, 2011 at 10:38 am

18. I’m not a huge fan of eggnog but these look delicate and delish!

by Tickled Red on Dec 14, 2011 at 12:46 pm

19. Man, all the eggnog recipes this winter are killing me! This looks like a winner. Oh, and I’m in total envy of your scone pan. LOVE IT!

by Aimee @ ShugarySweets on Dec 14, 2011 at 10:01 pm

20. Scones are one of my favorite things in life add some eggnog into the mix and I am positively swooning! Just gorgeous, Tracy!

by Jamie | My Baking Addiction on Dec 14, 2011 at 10:23 pm

21. Thanks for a wonderful looking recipe. I’m going to make some for Christmas morning!

by Always Wright on Dec 15, 2011 at 12:25 am

22. I’m a sucker for scones, in fact I used to always keep a few int eh freezer. I need to start doing that again and these are great ones to start with.

by Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen on Dec 15, 2011 at 2:13 am

23. These look fabulous!

by Maria on Dec 16, 2011 at 2:18 pm

24. JUST made these (mini for gifts for hubby’s work people) and they are delicate and one of the few scones I’ve made that don’t need a thing on ‘em! My 4 year old egg nog hater thought these were amaxing too!

by Jenn on Dec 20, 2011 at 1:45 pm

25. YUMMY I absolutely adore these!! Happy Holidays sweets!

by Wenderly on Dec 20, 2011 at 3:31 pm

26. These look absolutely divine! Wish I didn’t have to wait till the next holiday season to give them a try!

by Angela @ The Dancer Bakes on Jan 22, 2012 at 8:22 pm

27. This scone recipe is outstanding. I have made these eggnog scones twice over the holidays. The only thing I did differently was to add a handful of dried cranberries and toasted pecans and a sprinkle of cinnamon. They came out perfect both times. Thank you.

by Denise on Jan 6, 2013 at 12:58 pm