Lemon Snowdrop Cookies

Lemon Snowdrop Cookies - 5

Now that it’s December, has the stress of the holiday season set in yet? It has for me. My to-do list continues to grow in spite of my frantic efforts to cross a few more things off of it each day. My Christmas shopping is almost done though, which I consider a personal best for this time of the month. My growing list certainly isn’t going to stop me from having some fun in the kitchen, though! Despite the fact that we haven’t had much snow yet, which is unusual in our neck of the woods, I decided that these lemon snowdrop cookies would be perfect to welcome December and the rapidly cooling weather. This recipe is my mother-in-law’s, although I did use my own recipe for the lemon filling since I had already made a batch of lemon curd and had some left over. We normally enjoy these for dessert on Easter, but I thought they’d also make a nice addition to your holiday cookie trays this year. The bright flavor of these cookies adds a nice balance to all of the spicier holiday favorites, such as gingerbread or molasses cookies. I hope you’ll enjoy them as much as we do.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. In a medium mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar.

Lemon Snowdrop Cookies - 1

Add in the lemon extract, salt, and flour, and mix until well-combined. The mixture will be crumbly.

Lemon Snowdrop Cookies - 2

Form the mixture into a ball – you may need to work the dough with your hands a little before the butter softens enough for you to shape it. Then, roll the dough into 1″ balls and place them 1″ apart on the cookie sheet.  Make an indentation in the center of each cookie with your thumb.

Lemon Snowdrop Cookies - 3

Bake 8-10 minutes or until the cookies have browned on the bottom.

Lemon Snowdrop Cookies - 4

You can store the baked cookies in an airtight container for several days. When ready to serve, spoon 1-2 tsp of the lemon curd into the center of each cookie. Sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired. Makes 2 1/2 – 3 dozen cookies.

Lemon Snowdrop Cookies - 5

Posted by on December 1, 2011.

Tags: , ,

1. These look so sunny and lovely 🙂

by Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies on Dec 1, 2011 at 1:11 pm

2. These are just lovely! So fresh and tasty sounding!

by Katrina on Dec 1, 2011 at 2:00 pm

3. I hope you’re able to find ways to cut the stress! My goal was to finish all my Christmas shopping before Dec. 1st, and I made it in the nick of time with my amazon order yesterday. There’s a lot going on for us this month–parties, concerts, guests, travel logistics–but I’m trying no to think too far ahead. As long as I have it on my calendar (so I don’t forget!), it will happen when it happens. And yes, I’m repeating this to myself right now!

by Jenna on Dec 1, 2011 at 2:06 pm

4. You know I’ll eat ANYTHING with lemon in it! I was just thinking that lemon is underrepresented in the holiday cookie world.

by Casey@Good. Food. Stories. on Dec 1, 2011 at 5:06 pm

5. I absolutely LOVE lemon curd! And I love what a bright pop of color it gives these cookies!

by Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl on Dec 1, 2011 at 8:20 pm

6. I always like to have at least one lemony cookie for the holidays and this one looks great!

by Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen on Dec 1, 2011 at 10:07 pm

7. Lemon curd has a sweet spot in my heart! It is so refreshing. I’m glad to see that you busted it out this time of year too!

by Rebecca on Dec 1, 2011 at 10:55 pm

8. These lemon drop cookies look so cute. I can’t believe you’re almost done with Christmas shopping. I havent even started yet! But I love the crowded malls and such, so I can’t wait to go Christmas shopping this year.

by Becca on Dec 1, 2011 at 11:47 pm

9. I just love lemon curd. Your cookies look like they’re filled with drops of sunshine.

by Lisa @ Sweet as Sugar Cookies on Dec 2, 2011 at 1:24 am

10. I love lemon curd…..these look delicious!

by Culinary Collage on Dec 2, 2011 at 11:13 am

11. I’m not much of a lemon fan but my mom is, and I bet she would love these!

by Elizabeth on Dec 2, 2011 at 6:04 pm

12. Yum! I know I would love these. Desserts like this with creamy lemon curd are at the top of my favorite list:)

by Raina on Dec 2, 2011 at 6:43 pm

13. Those cookies look so yummy. I love lemon! Come visit us. We have the most beautiful dress from The Shabby Apple to giveaway. Hop on over and register to win.

by carolinaheartstrings on Dec 2, 2011 at 9:19 pm

14. Beautiful, just beautifully bright cookies!

I am hosting a linky party – 12 days of Christmas Goodies! (and one of the days we are featuring ALL cookie recipes)! This recipe would be perfect, we’d love for you to link it up!

by Tina @ MOMS CRAZY COOKING on Dec 4, 2011 at 2:00 am

15. These look delicious, and they’re so pretty! I love lemon desserts.

by Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen on Dec 4, 2011 at 3:35 am

16. These are perfectly bright for dreary winter days! I love anything with lemon curd!

by Jamie | My Baking Addiction on Dec 4, 2011 at 3:08 pm

17. These look so light and, bright! 😉 I love lemon and I never think to make lemon cookies at the holidays. I agree, they’d definitely add a little variety to a traditional cookie try.

by Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) on Dec 4, 2011 at 10:27 pm

18. I love lemon cookies. A perfect addition to the 12 weeks of Christmas cookies.

by Barbara @ Barbara Bakes on Dec 5, 2011 at 9:32 am

19. might need to make some of these soon… no lemon extract though… think some grated lemon rind will do? 🙂

by stephchows on Dec 5, 2011 at 2:27 pm

20. These look so pretty… I love anything made with lemon curd! I recently saw a recipe for cranberry curd that would be fabulous for this recipe, too! I might have to experiment with that.

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Dec 7, 2011 at 3:22 pm