Sweet Potato Casserole

Sweet Potato Casserole - 5

As promised, today I’m posting my recipe for sweet potato casserole. It was a recipe that I first tried out last year; I brought it to our Thanksgiving festivities with hubby’s family…and since I had several compliments and no leftovers to bring home, I decided that this sweet side should be made a tradition. I’ll be making it again for my family this year, and I’m really looking forward to it. Also, as you can see, I don’t have a photo of the finished casserole – that’s because I always make it a day or two ahead of time in one of my nifty Pyrex dishes that has a lid, which is perfect for storing in the refrigerator. Then, I simply take off the lid and pop it in the oven on Thanksgiving day…which, as you probably know, is always quite hectic and not conducive to picture-taking. If you’re looking for a new way to serve potatoes this Thanksgiving, I hope you’ll try this one. Enjoy!

For the topping:

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and grease an 8×8″ baking dish. Wash the sweet potatoes and pat them dry; then place them on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake 45-50 minutes or until tender.

Sweet Potato Casserole - 1

When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, scoop the insides into a large bowl. With a hand mixer on medium speed, beat the potatoes until smooth. Then, beat in the sugar, milk, butter, vanilla, maple syrup, eggs, salt, and pepper.

Sweet Potato Casserole - 2

To make the topping, whisk together the brown sugar and flour in a medium bowl. Using a pastry blender, work the butter into the mixture until crumbly. Stir in the oats.

Sweet Potato Casserole - 4

Spoon the sweet potatoe mixture into the baking dish.

Sweet Potato Casserole - 3

Sprinkle with the topping.

Sweet Potato Casserole - 5

Bake 30-40 minutes or until the topping is golden brown.

Posted by on November 21, 2011.

Tags:

Categories: soups, salads, & sides

1. I love make-ahead dishes, because you’re right–Thanksgiving day itself can be totally chaotic if you’re the main cook!

by Jenna on Nov 21, 2011 at 11:50 am

2. This looks great, even without a “finished” picture. Make-ahead dishes are my favorite for the holidays. So much easier, and gives you more time for enjoying the time with your family, rather than spending it all in the kitchen!

by Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl on Nov 21, 2011 at 12:01 pm

3. Looks absolutely scrumptious!

by Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies on Nov 21, 2011 at 12:11 pm

4. Love this classic. I really like your version. I’m not into the whole marshmallow on casserole thing.

by Katrina on Nov 21, 2011 at 12:24 pm

5. This looks like a great recipe I can see why there were no leftovers. Come visit us. We have pumpkin macaroni and cheese on the menu.

Happy Thanksgiving!

by carolinaheartstrings on Nov 21, 2011 at 1:29 pm

6. I love sweet potato casserole, and I love that there is oatmeal in your topping. Yummy!!

by Cookbook Queen on Nov 21, 2011 at 2:27 pm

7. Love it! It looks fantastic.

by Jessica @ How Sweet on Nov 21, 2011 at 3:01 pm

8. I am currently obsessed with sweet potatoes and this sounds delectable. And, ooooh, maple syrup?? YUM!

by Heather I. on Nov 21, 2011 at 5:09 pm

9. I looove sweet potato casserole. It’s not Thanksgiving without it!

by Christina @ This Woman Cooks! on Nov 21, 2011 at 5:59 pm

10. We add oats to our topping… yum-o! Can’t wait for this dish.

by SnoWhite @ Finding Joy in My Kitchen on Nov 21, 2011 at 9:01 pm

11. yes please, so simple and delish

by jennifurla on Nov 21, 2011 at 9:29 pm

12. I have a similar recipe that calls for chopped pecans instead of oatmeal in the topping. We love it!

by margaret on Nov 22, 2011 at 2:48 pm

13. If you prepare it the night before and put it in the fridge, will you need to cook it a bit longer?

by Breanna on Nov 22, 2011 at 4:07 pm

14. Breanna – Yes, I usually add on 10-15 minutes of cooking time if I’m popping it in the oven from the refrigerator. Hope that helps!

by Tracy on Nov 22, 2011 at 6:01 pm