Easy All-Butter Pie Crust

Coconut Cream Pie - 1

Are you ready for Pie Week? I am! And in order to make sure that you are too, today I’m posting an easy recipe for all-butter pie crust. A couple years ago, I posted about how I had finally made the leap from buying pie crust to making my own. I used Pioneer Woman’s all-shortening pie crust recipe, and while ahead of the grocery store version, I came to realize that there were a couple things about the recipe that I just wasn’t crazy about. First, it was always a little hard to work with because it never seemed good and sturdy – no doubt due to the shortening, it always seemed a little on the greasy side. And second, the three pie crusts you get out of the recipe must be for exactly 9″ pies, because I never had much extra to do any fun pie crust decorating. Don’t get me wrong, the recipe still produced a flaky pie crust. But this year I decided to try a new, all-butter recipe, and I won’t be going back. This recipe from Aimée of Simple Bites is very sturdy, and her recipe makes two generous pie crusts that allow me plenty of room for using even in my deep dish pie dishes, with much to spare for decorating. Now, go forth and make pie crust, and I’ll be back tomorrow to kick off a week of pies!

Recipe adapted from Simple Bites.

In a measuring cup, whisk together the egg yolks, lemon juice or vinegar, and water. Stir in the salt and sugar.

All-Butter Pie Crust - 1

In the bowl of your stand mixer, measure out the flour and add in the cubes of butter.

All-Butter Pie Crust - 2

Using the paddle attachment, beat on low speed until the butter and flour are somewhat crumbly. Gradually add in the egg mixture, mixing until the dough starts coming together. (Don’t have a stand mixer? That’s okay! Just cut the butter into the flour mixture with a pastry blender, and then use a fork to blend the egg mixture with the flour mixture until the dough starts coming together.)

All-Butter Pie Crust - 3

Form the dough into a ball with your hands, and then separate into two equal-sized balls. Flatten each ball slightly.

All-Butter Pie Crust - 4

Wrap each piece of dough in plastic wrap and chill for 3-4 hours. You may also freeze the dough for later use.

All-Butter Pie Crust - 5

Posted by on November 13, 2011.

Tags:

1. Excellent!

by Sonia Rumzi on Nov 13, 2011 at 2:53 pm

2. I never ever make my own pie crust but I have a feeling after pie week I’m going to want to try!

by Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) on Nov 13, 2011 at 3:56 pm

3. I am always looking for the perfect pie crust!! I will be trying this one for sure…love that it uses all butter 🙂

by Cookbook Queen on Nov 13, 2011 at 4:15 pm

4. I love making my own pie crust. It is so easy and I always have the ingredients on hand. I make mine iwth butter also but not eggs and vinegar. I am going to have to try this one out. Thanks for sharing!

by danellesdish on Nov 13, 2011 at 7:15 pm

5. So glad you’re making my pie crust!! Can’t wait to see your contribution to pie week.

by Aimee @ Simple Bites on Nov 13, 2011 at 8:48 pm

6. Eeeeee!! Pie week is my favorite!

by Katrina on Nov 14, 2011 at 7:45 am

7. Tracy, you know pie dough is one of the (many) things that terrifies me in the kitchen. You make it look so freaking easy.

by Wendi @ Bon Appetit Hon on Nov 14, 2011 at 9:31 am

8. I’m looking forward to pie week! Thanks for suggesting so many recipes, I can’t wait to make some of them for Thanksgiving.

by Sarah @ a dash and a pinch on Nov 14, 2011 at 9:51 am

9. I can’t wait to try this! Honestly, I’ve never heard of a pie crust that’s all butter, plus the eggs & vinegar. Yay!

Thanks so much for sharing.

Pat

by Pat on Nov 14, 2011 at 10:49 am

10. Hello there, beautiful pie crust!

by Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies on Nov 14, 2011 at 11:11 am

11. I am definitely making this crust using my mixer even though I just got a new food processor especially to make pie crust.

by Brenda / SweetSimpleStuff on Nov 14, 2011 at 1:55 pm

12. Hooray for pie week!! (and the fudgy chocolate pie looks incredible, by the way)
    I’m going to have to try your all-butter crust, because I also had some problems with the PW’s. I mean, it was really good, but hard to work with. As a non-expert baker, I need all the help and ease I can get!

by Jenna on Nov 14, 2011 at 3:03 pm

13. Delicious! I must make this soon!

by Brandon @ The Yummy Bits on Nov 14, 2011 at 6:19 pm

14. I love making pie crust. Took me several times before I got it right, but now I’ve got it right. I make mine in the food processor using 1/2 butter and 1/2 shortening, and a little more water to have the crust “wet”. Comes out great every time. This is an interesting recipe. Looking forward to trying it.

by Mark on Nov 15, 2011 at 1:13 pm

15. This pie crust looks great! I make an all butter pie crust, but it doesn’t have eggs in it. I have to try your version next time.

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Nov 15, 2011 at 11:53 pm

16. Will this work on a 9.5 inch pie plate? That is all I have, and I have never found a pie crust recipe that will fit it.

by LB on Nov 17, 2011 at 10:19 pm

17. LB – I think this should work with a 9.5″ pie plate – my dishes are a little bigger and a little deeper than the standard 9″ pie dish, and they worked great with mine. Hope that helps!

by Tracy on Nov 18, 2011 at 12:28 pm

18. Best pie crust ever…everyone raved about my pumpkin pie this year…thank you!

by Aggie on Nov 24, 2011 at 6:57 pm

19. I loved this crust! I’ve been looking for an all-butter crust that is more than just a bland filling-holder, and this one fits the bill.

by che on May 3, 2012 at 10:18 pm

20. I made a crust today (not this recipe though) and although the crust made plenty to fit my 9.5 inch pie dish, the filling doesn’t seem to be enough! I never considered this a problem as i’ve never made a pie before today! So even though I still have 20 min left baking time the filling isn’t close enough to the top of the crust! I won’t complain because I love the crust, but it just looks abnormal and I was hoping to impress this Thanksgiving!!

by aimee on Nov 20, 2012 at 7:07 pm

21. Do the measurements used account for just a bottom crust or a bottom and enough to cover a pie filling?? Thanks!!

by Erika on Nov 21, 2012 at 11:28 am

22. Erika – This recipe makes two generous pie crusts, so you’ll easily have enough for a bottom and top crust with some left over for decorating. Happy baking!

by Tracy on Nov 24, 2012 at 3:27 pm