Glazed Sprinkle Cookies

Glazed Sprinkle Cookies - 7

Anyone else out there hosting Thanksgiving this year? I usually host for my side of the family, so I’m trying to remember what I did two years ago when I hosted for the first time (it probably makes more sense to tell you that for now, hubby and I rotate which side of the family we spend Thanksgiving and Christmas with each year – so last year we were with hubby’s family for Thanksgiving). Anyway, I’ve been gathering my notes together so that I can begin preparing things ahead of time, but I also want to try a few new things at the dinner table this year. I’ve created a board on Pinterest called Thanksgiving Dinner where I’ve been accumulating some ideas, but I’d love to hear yours, too! What are your favorite Thanksgiving dishes? Feel free to leave comments or shoot me an e-mail with links and/or recipes!

And now, on to the cookies, because we can’t be all about Thanksgiving over here while the 12 Weeks of Christmas Cookies is going on! These soft, fluffy cookies are wonderful warm out of the oven, but I think they’re made even better by the glaze that goes on top of them once they’ve cooled. The sprinkles make them fun and festive, so it’s definitely worth using some Christmas-themed sprinkles if you have them, although regular ones will work just fine. Have fun!

For the glaze:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs on high speed for 3-4 minutes until pale. In another large bowl, whisk together the flour, powdered sugar, and baking powder. Work in the shortening with a pastry blender.

Glazed Sprinkle Cookies - 1

Stir in extracts gradually until crumbly. With the mixer on low speed, beat in the eggs.

Glazed Sprinkle Cookies - 2

Roll the dough into 1″ balls and place the cookies 2″ apart on the baking sheets.

Glazed Sprinkle Cookies - 3

Bake 12-14 minutes or until very lightly browned.

Glazed Sprinkle Cookies - 5

In the meantime, make the glaze. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla extract.

Glazed Sprinkle Cookies - 4

Once the cookies are cool, dip each one into the glaze. Pour the sprinkles on top and let dry. Store in an airtight container. Makes 2 1/2 to 3 dozen cookies, depending on how big you make them.

Glazed Sprinkle Cookies - 6

Posted by on November 10, 2011.

1. love the sprinkles !

by Shruti | A Spoonful of Yumm on Nov 10, 2011 at 11:54 am

2. These look really tasty… And, I just love holiday sprinkles. I get all excited and buy tons of them as soon as I see them at the store. 🙂

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Nov 10, 2011 at 11:57 am

3. You are amazing! Love your stuff. Always. YUM!

by Sonia Rumzi on Nov 10, 2011 at 2:05 pm

4. These look so cute! My kids have been asking to help make cookies so we are going to try these this weekend. Thanks for sharing!

by danellesdish on Nov 10, 2011 at 2:52 pm

5. Using holiday sprinkles is my 4-year olds favorite part of cookie decorating! These are simple, but oh-so elegant. LOVE THEM!

by Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl on Nov 10, 2011 at 3:09 pm

6. I love the ideas on pinterest. Definitely going to take some inspiration from your board for thanksgiving.

by Rachel @ Mommygetsmoving on Nov 10, 2011 at 3:16 pm

7. I love how puffy these stayed! Adorable!

by Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga on Nov 10, 2011 at 4:14 pm

8. These look so good! My sugar cookies always flatten out. Maybe I should try them with shortening, because I love how thick these are!

Just followed you on Pinterest! I’m becoming dangerously addicted to that site…

by Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen on Nov 10, 2011 at 4:17 pm

9. You can never go wrong with classic sugar cookies! These are sure to please1

by Erika - The Teenage Taste on Nov 10, 2011 at 4:52 pm

10. How beautifully festive! I’m a bit of a Pinterest addict, but I’ll admit that it’s helped a lot with coming up with ideas and organizing my life. Good luck with Thanksgiving!

by Carrie @ poet in the pantry on Nov 10, 2011 at 5:49 pm

11. Glaze + Sprinkles = Cookie perfection 🙂

by Cookbook Queen on Nov 10, 2011 at 8:05 pm

12. Aww, these cookies look so cute and festive! 😀

by Becca on Nov 10, 2011 at 10:56 pm

13. Those cookies look so cute and the sprinkles really make them fun.

by Lisa @ Sweet as Sugar Cookies on Nov 11, 2011 at 3:56 am

14. Ooohh! These are so cute and pretty! Love the little sprinkles on top 🙂

by Katrina on Nov 11, 2011 at 7:14 am

15. These look simple and Godd … the best combo :O) I have both my hubbys fammily and my family including my aunts , uncles etc every holiday… I need easy , simple r4ecipes. :O)

by colleen on Nov 11, 2011 at 10:19 am

16. Those look so cute, and yummy

by sue on Nov 11, 2011 at 10:45 am

17. These cookies look so yummy. Cannot wait to make them.

by Carolinaheartstrings on Nov 11, 2011 at 12:45 pm

18. Yum! Nothing says holidays like sugar cookies with red & green sprinkles!

Thanksgiving is all about a sausage & cornbread stuffing my dad makes and also roasted acorn squash with brown sugar…so good! We have been trying to switch it up latelty since we had the same thing every year and my dad & I are going to try to find a new “green bean cassarole” recipe…

by Amanda on Nov 11, 2011 at 12:52 pm

19. These are darling and perfect for Christmas!

by Louanne on Nov 11, 2011 at 4:40 pm

20. I’ve never hosted a Thanksgiving, but I can’t imagine the planning for it. It seems like I’d know what to make, mashed potatoes, turkey, gravy, stuffing and so on – but I’d be nuts trying to find new things and wanting to mix it all up.

These little cookies like awesome bites and yum.

by Kita on Nov 11, 2011 at 10:14 pm

21. So pretty! I’m getting excited for holiday baking!

by Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen on Nov 12, 2011 at 5:51 pm

22. These look so yummy I feel like I can taste them right now! So soft and sweet. I’ll have to check out your Pinterest board(s) too–LOVE it!

by Brenda @ Meal Planning Magic on Nov 13, 2011 at 12:13 am

23. Wow, these look great, they remind me of glazed doughnuts.

by Brandon @ The Yummy Bits on Nov 14, 2011 at 6:23 pm

24. This is great because I have halloween sprinkles left so they would be perfect for Thanksgiving too!!!! I can’t wait to try them. Now I just have to get eggs 🙁

by Alison on Nov 17, 2011 at 7:01 pm