Vanilla Latte Cookies

Vanilla Latte Cookies - 5

Now that Halloween is over (and we’re halfway through the 12 Weeks of Christmas Cookies!), are you already planning for Thanksgiving? I know some who are already knee-deep in planning, and others who haven’t even thought about it yet. I’m somewhere in between; since it’s my turn to host again this year, I’ve been trying to put together a menu at least so that I can let people know what else to bring. So far it’s slow-going, although I do have a few ideas in mind. My mother-in-law’s cracked wheat rolls for one thing, those are a given! I’ve also been thinking about taking care of dessert this year – since I normally take care of the turkey, stuffing, gravy, and a side or two, I usually leave dessert to someone else. However, I’ve been thinking about running a pie week here on Sugarcrafter the week before Thanksgiving, with a different pie Monday-Friday. I’d like to know your thoughts and whether this is something you may be interested in, so please leave a comment or shoot me an e-mail to let me know! In the meantime, I hope you enjoy these soft vanilla cookies with a hint of espresso. They are perfect by themselves or dipped into your after-dinner coffee!

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl, beat the butter on medium speed until smooth. Reduce the mixer speed and beat in the powdered sugar, espresso, vanilla, vanilla bean, and cinnamon.

Vanilla Latte Cookies - 1

Add in the flour, beating until combined.

Vanilla Latte Cookies - 2

Roll the dough into 1″ balls. Place them 2″ apart on the baking sheet and press to flatten slightly.

Vanilla Latte Cookies - 3

Bake about 12 minutes or until the edges are set. Transfer to a wire rack to let cool.

Vanilla Latte Cookies - 4

Store at room temperature for up to 3 days in an airtight storage container, or freeze for up to 3 months. Makes about 3 dozen cookies.

Posted by on November 3, 2011.

1. Those cookies look amazing they would be good with a cup of tea.

by Sarah on Nov 3, 2011 at 10:40 am

2. These cookies look delicious! I definitely am going to have to try them some time. And I think a pie week the week before Thanksgiving is a terrific idea!

by Nikki on Nov 3, 2011 at 11:15 am

3. Now you’re talking! I usually find sugar cookies to be the blandiest of the bland, but adding espresso makes me stop and take notice. Awesome.

by Casey@Good. Food. Stories. on Nov 3, 2011 at 11:42 am

4. I fully support a pie week. I also support these cookies (and second the recommendation of a cup of tea).

by Marilyn on Nov 3, 2011 at 11:46 am

5. I can just taste these cookies, and I seriously want them for breakfast. I’d love a pie week, Tracy!

by Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies on Nov 3, 2011 at 11:55 am

6. We thought we were hosting Thanksgiving for a few hours–and then were told otherwise. Phew! During those few hours, I was feeling a little overwhelmed. Do you get stressed by hosting at all?
    Your cookies look great, as usual, and a week of pies sounds awesome!

by Jenna on Nov 3, 2011 at 12:07 pm

7. I love baking with instant espresso! Makes the kitchen smell wonderful :)

by Rebecca on Nov 3, 2011 at 12:16 pm

8. Ooh, I love vanilla lattes and I love cookies, so I have no doubt that I’d love these! They look so fabulous and light–yum! I’m totally interested in a pie week–sounds like fun!

by Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl on Nov 3, 2011 at 12:34 pm

9. Love the idea of pie week, I need some new pie ideas and how to store until Thanksgiving!

by carosail on Nov 3, 2011 at 1:41 pm

10. These sound awesome! I love the idea of a vanilla latte in cookies! :)

by Jessica on Nov 3, 2011 at 2:53 pm

11. Yes, please and thank you :) those sound great!

by Katy ¦ Alphabet Soup on Nov 3, 2011 at 5:20 pm

12. I love the idea of a pie week! What a great idea leading up to Thanksgiving!

by BreAna {Sugar & Spice & All Things Iced} on Nov 3, 2011 at 6:41 pm

13. These look great! Can’t waiit to try them.

by danellesdish on Nov 3, 2011 at 7:36 pm

14. Love these! They look so cute and rich without being so heavy…if that makes any sense. I definitely will try them! Going to pin for later. :)

by JulieD on Nov 3, 2011 at 7:43 pm

15. I’m hosting Thanksgiving again this year, too… Just ordered a turkey today! But, I haven’t gotten much further than that. I’m thinking I could use a few of these cookies to nibble on while I’m working on my menu!

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Nov 3, 2011 at 7:54 pm

16. These look awesome! I’m going to have to whip up a bunch of them this weekend to go with a hot drink. We’re expecting rain, but I’ll bet you’re more in need of a hot drink than I am. Good luck with Thanksgiving! I’d love to see a pie week on Sugarcrafter!

by Marie on Nov 3, 2011 at 7:54 pm

17. Great idea! I can’t wait to try them!

by Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. on Nov 4, 2011 at 9:10 am

18. Can’t wait to try these! And yes, bring on the pies! Thanksgiving is all about the pies for sure! (well, maybe Turkey and stuffing too).

by Dawn on Nov 4, 2011 at 9:41 am

19. Just clarifying…you use expresso powder, not actual expresso (i.s. the liquid)…right? Thanks!!

by Wendy on Nov 4, 2011 at 10:41 am

20. Espresso, not expresso…that’s just embarrassing!! *shame*

by Wendy on Nov 4, 2011 at 10:41 am

21. Yummy! These look sooo good. I love the idea to have vanilla and coffee in a cookie. I am going to definitely make these; I know I would love them.

A pie week sounds fun! One of my favorite things about Thanksgiving is pie:)

by Raina on Nov 4, 2011 at 10:46 am

22. These cookies look great can’t wait to try them. I have just made your vanilla bean scone recipe it was just wonderful. I would like to see a pie week here also.

by Sherry on Nov 4, 2011 at 10:48 am

23. These sound absolutely scrumptious! Love the latte cookie idea!

by Katrina on Nov 4, 2011 at 12:23 pm

24. I might just have to add this to my growing list of Christmas cookies! These sound delicious! Although pretty much anything with vanilla bean is great :)

by Lauren on Nov 4, 2011 at 2:58 pm

25. These look delicious!

by Candace on Nov 4, 2011 at 7:03 pm

26. yum!! these look delish. i love vanilla. and lattes. and cookies!

by Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga on Nov 4, 2011 at 9:17 pm

27. Vanilla Latte Cookies…just reading the name makes me drool. I’m adding this to my “To-Make” list. I cannot wait until I get to bake Christmas cookies everyday!

by Erika - The Teenage Taste on Nov 5, 2011 at 6:51 pm

28. those look like they are the perfect match for a glass of milk.

by sue on Nov 5, 2011 at 7:31 pm

29. Do you need to line the sheet with parchment paper? I saw on another recipe that you need to line the sheet with parchment paper but when I did that, when I went to take the cookies out of the oven, I pulled the tray right out from underneath the paper and the cookies fell down into the bottom of the oven. I had to spend two hours cleaning out the burnt crumbles of cookie from the bottom of my oven.

Can I just spray the sheet with cooking spray or something?

by Paige on Nov 5, 2011 at 10:01 pm

30. These look amazing! I love using whole vanilla beans in baked goods. Bookmarked this to make during the holidays!

by Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen on Nov 6, 2011 at 7:30 pm

31. You can never go wrong with pie! I say go for it. I’ll be anxiously waiting to see what you come up with.

by Renee - Kudos Kitchen on Nov 6, 2011 at 9:34 pm

32. I just ate a cookie and I still totally want those.

by Angela on Nov 6, 2011 at 11:24 pm

33. What a great idea! Thank you for this nice recipe!

by Susanne on Nov 7, 2011 at 8:38 am

34. Wendy – You are correct; I used espresso powder.

Paige – I’m sorry to hear about your bad luck with parchment paper! You can use a nonstick cookie sheet for these, and just spray it lightly with cooking spray. Hope that helps!

by Tracy on Nov 7, 2011 at 3:16 pm

35. Those look fantastic. They might just be my new favorite! Come visit us. We have a terrific pumpkin cheesecake today.

by carolinaheartstrings on Nov 7, 2011 at 8:22 pm

36. I can’t wait to make these! This is such an awesome idea. So winter-y. I love Christmas cookies :)

by Peggy on Nov 8, 2011 at 11:36 am

37. I have a coffee loving family and I know they would love a cookie with a hit of espresso like these.

by Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen on Nov 8, 2011 at 3:56 pm

38. i made this last night. delicious. I added an egg though because i added too much flour and the mixture was a bit dry (my fault, not recipe.) they are tops! forgot to bring them to work with me though… so now i get to dream about them all day!

by meliaka on Nov 8, 2011 at 6:37 pm

39. They’re in the oven now! I’m so excited

by Peggy on Nov 8, 2011 at 8:36 pm

40. these are calling out to me!!!

by Aggie on Nov 9, 2011 at 6:09 pm

41. This looks like the perfect thing to satisfy a sweet craving!

by Jessica @ Crafty Palate on Nov 11, 2011 at 9:08 am

42. These look YUMMY!!!!!

by SweetSugarBelle on Nov 12, 2011 at 11:43 pm

43. those cookies look so good and sound amazing!

by Felicia on Nov 12, 2011 at 11:54 pm

44. Thank you so much for sharing this. Making “foodie” gifts for my awesome coworkers this year and was looking for something a little different. These will fit the bill perfectly.

by Christina Edmondson on Nov 13, 2011 at 5:10 am

45. Wow, these look great! Thank you for sharing!

by Brandon @ The Yummy Bits on Nov 13, 2011 at 8:36 pm

46. These look amazing, but I think I would be tempted to tweak them to get a crispy cookie so I could pair them with vanilla ice cream. A soft cookie just doesn’t hold up as well to ice cream in my opinion, and it seems like a match made in heaven.

by Erica on Nov 14, 2011 at 1:22 am

47. WOW! Need I say more?

by Katy on Nov 14, 2011 at 9:36 pm

48. Wow these are my favorite cookies thanks for the recipes.

by Recipes on Nov 15, 2011 at 1:19 am

49. Mmmmm, yes please!!

by Carrie on Nov 16, 2011 at 5:50 am

50. If you were to top these with a frosting what flavor would you use?

by Caroline on Nov 17, 2011 at 1:05 pm

51. Caroline – I’d probably make a vanilla-rum frosting. Hope that helps! :-)

by Tracy on Nov 18, 2011 at 12:22 pm

52. What about if you are trying to make these at high altitude? Should the temperature be higher or should I add more flour or butter to the recipe?

by Laura on Nov 21, 2011 at 9:00 pm

53. These cookies came out awesome! I am so excited to bring these to offer my future family for Thanksgiving tomorrow! Thank you for sharing this.

by Cassandra on Nov 23, 2011 at 6:51 pm

54. Mine tasted so bland and were super dry :( I followed the recipe exactly

by Maddie on Nov 23, 2011 at 11:41 pm

55. trying again-I added a little milk. Hope it makes them a little more moist

by Maddie on Nov 24, 2011 at 12:25 am

56. nope, still awful. I cant figure out what’s wrong………..

by Maddie on Nov 24, 2011 at 1:04 am

57. Maddie – I’m very sorry to hear that! I might try adding in a little brown sugar (maybe 1/4 cup) along with the powdered sugar if the cookies were too bland for you. Hope that helps!

by Tracy on Nov 24, 2011 at 10:02 am

58. Oh these look amazing – I’m going to have to make them for the holidays – my staff will love them!

by Matt Jackson on Nov 24, 2011 at 6:30 pm

59. I made these the other day, and they were delicious! I thought it was strange at first no eggs were used and two cups of flour were, but they turned out great. Perfect match with a cup of coffee in the morning!

by Liz J on Nov 28, 2011 at 3:20 pm

60. These cookies didn’t turn out right at all :/
    I don’t know if they are missing a specific ingredient whether it be baking soda or eggs or milk or something but they did not expand, they were crumbly, dry and just fell apart. They did not have a cookie texture. I can’t figure out what it is that was missing though.

by Kristen on Dec 11, 2011 at 2:18 am

61. Ok I’m officially in love with these cookies, what a great recipe! Yum!!

by Kelly on Dec 13, 2011 at 11:20 am

62. The first batch I made were terrible – flat hard and dry… then I realized by comparing with other recipes that the LEAVENING was missing. I added baking soda & cream of tartar (baking powder) to the next batch and they came out perfectly! Thank you for the recipe. It’s basically my mother-in-law’s snickerdoodle recipe with the expresso & vanilla.

by Roger on Mar 1, 2012 at 5:23 pm

63. Roger – I did not use baking soda or baking powder in my cookies – but I am happy that worked for you!

by Tracy on Mar 1, 2012 at 5:31 pm

64. No luck with these :( I followed the recipe exactly and they came out hard and bitter and didn’t spread even a little. Really disappointed. It is the espresso powder right? Not just a tablespoon of already-made espresso?

by Caitlyn on Jul 31, 2012 at 8:24 pm

65. Caitlyn – I’m sorry to hear that! Yes the espresso powder is what you want to use. They should spread out a little bit, but not a whole lot – they are similar in texture to a butter cookie.

by Tracy on Jul 31, 2012 at 8:45 pm