Acorn Squash Soup

Acorn Squash Soup - 4

I hope you all had a very happy Halloween!  In the past we’ve had to forgo the usual festivities due to a church-related conference that’s always held on Halloween weekend, but since Halloween was on a Monday this year, we were very excited to be first time candy hander-outers! Having no idea how much candy to get, hubby did his research based on how much our parents give out at their houses, and I’m happy to report that we served about 120 trick-or-treaters last night without running out of candy…and we only had a handful left over, so I’d say he nailed it! I had so much fun handing out candy and seeing all of the cute costumes. Some of those kids sure did look cold though! So today, I’m serving up some acorn squash soup, perfect for getting rid of any chill left over from last night. I served mine with some cheddar-parsley biscuits, and it’s definitely a meal I’ll be making again and again!

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with foil. Cut the squash in half and scoop out the seeds (you can set the seeds aside for roasting later). Place the sides face-down on the foil. Bake 40-50 minutes or until a fork inserted into the squash goes in easily.

Acorn Squash Soup - 1

Remove the skin from the squash (it should pull right off) and put the flesh into a food processor. Purée until smooth, in batches if necessary.

Acorn Squash Soup - 2

In a sauce pan over medium heat, sauté the garlic until fragrant. Add in the rest of the ingredients, adding the stock until you reach the desired consistency of your soup, and cook until heated through.

Acorn Squash Soup - 3

Serve warm.

Posted by on November 1, 2011.

Categories: dinner, lunch

1. So simple, and perfectly delicious. I should buy acorn squash more often.

by Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies on Nov 1, 2011 at 10:05 am

2. So simple , healthy, delish

by jennifurla on Nov 1, 2011 at 11:36 am

3. Your soup recipes–they call to me!! I posted your split pea soup recipe today on my blog, and I think this would be a winner at my dinner table as well. Mmmm!

by Jenna on Nov 1, 2011 at 12:04 pm

4. Mmm squash soup is my all time favorite! Yours sounds lovely. Can’t wait to try!

by Katrina on Nov 1, 2011 at 4:47 pm

5. I’ve always wanted to do something with acorn squash other than roast it- great idea!

by Laura @ Lauras Sweet Spot on Nov 2, 2011 at 1:35 am

6. Mmm…sweet, fall flavors. Yum!

by Maria on Nov 2, 2011 at 2:01 am

7. looks great! Those with the biscuits: yum!

by Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. on Nov 2, 2011 at 8:18 am

8. yum! i just roasted an acorn squash last night, with no plan for it…now i have one 🙂

by Alexis @ There She Goes on Nov 2, 2011 at 9:24 am

9. Yummers. Love, love, LOVE acorn squash in any variety. I will certainly be making this.

by elsie love on Nov 2, 2011 at 10:09 am

10. Looks great! So far I’ve made Butternut Squash Soup and Pumpkin Soup this fall. I’ve posted the recipes for both if you’d like to give them a try they are both delish! Now I’ll have to add this to my fall menu!

by Mrs. Fij on Nov 2, 2011 at 12:05 pm

11. Yum! I always make butternut soup, but never really thought to use my acorn squash for soup. I always just roast it or stuff it. This is perfect timing because I have 4 of them sitting on my counter from the CSA!

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Nov 3, 2011 at 5:32 pm

12. I recently tried making butternut squash soup and I wasn’t a huge fan of the flavor, I thought it was pretty bland. But I’m not giving up on the idea of squash soup, so maybe I’ll give this a try!

by Sarah @ a dash and a pinch on Nov 14, 2011 at 9:54 am

13. I made this for lunch today and it was so delicious! The only thing I did differently was add a couple of tablespoons of butter at the end. Thanks for the great recipe!

by Lauren on Nov 27, 2011 at 6:40 pm

14. hi, i love all your recipes. are you on pinterest so i can follow you?

by melissa on Sep 8, 2012 at 10:47 am

15. This soup is delicious…..perfect for fall..Thank you 🙂

by Ashee on Oct 5, 2012 at 8:03 pm

16. Just made this. Added the suggestion of butter and I added a couple tablespoons of all spice. Yum! Making parmesan italian seasoned beer bread to accompany!

by Laura on Oct 22, 2012 at 5:37 pm