Decorated Pumpkin Cookies

Decorated Pumpkin Cookies - 2

I am really loving the 12 Weeks of Christmas Cookies. Not only am I having fun posting about a different treat each week, but I’m feeling totally inspired by what everyone else is coming up with. This week, my recipe isn’t new, but a couple of the techniques I used to create the cookies are – I’m talking about decorated sugar cookies, of course! I always use the same foolproof recipes for vanilla bean sugar cookies and royal icing that I’ve already posted about here, which originally come from the queen of cookie decorating herself, Bridget of Bake at 350. Once I had the cookies and icing ready though, the rest was easy!

Since this cookie cutter was a little bigger than what I normally use (it’s one of the Wilton comfort grip cutters), I got a little less than two dozen cookies instead of the usual three dozen I get with my smaller cutters. I used orange food coloring to outline and fill them, but not a lot, since I wanted them to be a little on the pastel side.

Decorated Pumpkin Cookies - 1

For the sparkles, I followed Bridget’s lead and painted over the cookie with a small paint brush using a mixture of water and meringue powder where I wanted the lines to show up. Shake the sprinkles on, then shake the excess off (I shook mine off over a paper towel, which I then used to siphon them back into the jar). Then, inspired by Jen’s decorated pumpkin cookies, I colored some of my royal icing a pastel leaf green, colored in the stems, and made some random swirls over the tops of the cookies for the pumpkin vines.

Decorated Pumpkin Cookies - 3

So cute and so easy! Since I know I’m going to be making lots more of these (probably in the shapes of Christmas trees and wreaths), I packaged these up to give away for Halloween.

Decorated Pumpkin Cookies - 4

If you’ve never tried decorating your own sugar cookies before, I hope you’ll give these a try!

Posted by on October 27, 2011.

1. So cute! I don’t think I would have the patience to do all that beautiful frosting-art.

by Erin on Oct 27, 2011 at 11:56 am

2. My flood icing always comes out looking a little chalky instead of shiny….no matter how long I beat the icing in the mixer or how much corn syrup I use. *sigh*

by Stacie on Oct 27, 2011 at 12:06 pm

3. Adorable!! I love the sparkly lines!! I haven’t tried that technique yet. Thanks for sharing!!

by BreAna {Sugar & Spice & All Things Iced} on Oct 27, 2011 at 12:28 pm

4. Beautiful!!

by Tracy on Oct 27, 2011 at 12:28 pm

5. Those pumpkins are so pretty! We’ll be making our own decorated sugar cookies this weekend just like we always do before Halloween.

by Cat Davis - Food Family Finds on Oct 27, 2011 at 2:01 pm

6. I just decorated some Fall cookies as well! I did pumpkins and acorns and leaves – so fun :)

by megan @ whatmegansmaking on Oct 27, 2011 at 2:05 pm

7. Those pumpkin cookies look so delicious!

by Jen on Oct 27, 2011 at 2:06 pm

8. I looove them! So cute!

by Christina @ This Woman Cooks! on Oct 27, 2011 at 5:54 pm

9. Adorable as always, my dear. Have you seen the new jack-o-lantern cookie cutters at Williams-Sonoma where you can customize faces for your pumpkin cookies? I’d love to see what you could do with those.

by Casey@Good. Food. Stories. on Oct 27, 2011 at 6:52 pm

10. These are perfect Tracy! I love the glittery sprinkles.

by Tracey on Oct 27, 2011 at 8:08 pm

11. How adorable are these cookies? I have yet to try anything where skilled decorating is needed (because Im a pansy) but these look so cute and perfect. You’ve made another awesome choice to share with us this week! Keep ‘em coming!

by Kita on Oct 27, 2011 at 8:26 pm

12. So nicely decorated!

by laurie on Oct 27, 2011 at 8:27 pm

13. I love that blog and all of the great advice that Bridget has to offer. Her cookie recipe is my go-to one, too. In fact, I will be mixing some up this weekend to make some ghosts for a Halloween party. Gotta have decorated sugar cookies at Christmas and every holiday, in my opinion! :)

by pamela on Oct 27, 2011 at 8:57 pm

14. These look awesome! I’ve never decorated my own either but i doubt mine would come out looking that perfect.

by Stephchows on Oct 27, 2011 at 8:58 pm

15. These are lovely! So pretty :)

by Katrina on Oct 28, 2011 at 6:58 am

16. These came out beautiful! I wish I was coming to your house for Halloween:)

by Raina on Oct 28, 2011 at 8:57 am

17. TOO cute!

by Maria on Oct 28, 2011 at 10:04 am

18. I have had many decorated sugar cookie fails over the years but your step-by-step instructions make it look much easier than I thought! I see some cut out cookies in my future…..

by Brenda @ Meal PLanning Magic on Oct 28, 2011 at 10:28 am

19. These look so good! I’m a huge fan of Bridget’s basic recipe, and I love how you decorated these little pumpkin cookies.

by Jenna on Oct 28, 2011 at 12:04 pm

20. Love these! I love how you used the sparkles to show the lines of the pumpkin…so cute! :)

by Erin on Oct 28, 2011 at 2:38 pm

21. Just beautiful! I love the addition of the sanding sugar.

by Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl on Oct 29, 2011 at 7:21 am

22. Oh Tracy….they are darling! You were so sweet to give me a shout-out! I appreciate it so much! :)

One of these days, I’d love to decorate cookies WITH you! (Or at least EAT some while we chat and sip coffee!)

by bridget {bake at 350} on Oct 29, 2011 at 9:24 am

23. These are so CUTE, Tracy! I love how the sanding sugar gives them some dimension.

by Jamie | My Baking Addiction on Oct 29, 2011 at 4:36 pm

24. I just made my first sugar cookies to decorate today. My kids helped so they have lots of love in them. They turned out really cute. I used basically the same recipe you did and can’t wait to make more.

by danellesdish on Oct 29, 2011 at 8:44 pm

25. wierd that the 12 weeks of christmas is involving a lot of pumpkin :] or do you make more than 12?

by Maria on Oct 30, 2011 at 4:05 am

26. These are too cute, Tracy!! I love the sanding sugar lines…they sparkle!!

by Cookbook Queen on Oct 30, 2011 at 9:22 pm

27. Those cookies are just beautiful.

by carolinaheartstrings on Oct 31, 2011 at 7:40 pm

28. Love them!

by Cindy on Nov 2, 2011 at 10:46 am

29. Those look so cute!

by Lisa @ Sweet as Sugar Cookies on Nov 4, 2011 at 4:22 am

30. I did see this recipe on bake at 350 but now having seen you make them and see how beautifully they have turned out I am very motivated too. I hope I can do justice to them. Need a lot of patience.
    Great Job !