Pumpkin Spice Granola

Pumpkin Spice Granola - 5

One of my favorite quick yet filling breakfasts or snacks to have throughout the day is yogurt, and ever since I made my own granola bars and realized just how easy they are to make at home, I’ve been wanting to make my own granola to have on hand. Of course, given that I am pumpkin-obsessed these days, I couldn’t resist adding it to my first batch of homemade granola, along with a few of my favorite fall flavors. The resulting granola is wonderfully spiced and perfect for stirring into yogurt, sprinkling on top of a warm bowl of steel-cut oats, or just eating by the handful. And of course, what’s great about making your own granola is that you can customize it with whatever you like best – try adding pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, flax seeds, dried cranberries or raisins, chopped dates, sliced almonds, applesauce, or coconut, for just a few suggestions. Now, what are you waiting for? Go forth and make granola!

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray an 8×8″ baking dish with cooking spray. In a large bowl, combine the oats, spices, millet, and salt.

Pumpkin Spice Granola - 1

In a medium bowl, combine the brown sugar, pumpkin, and honey.

Pumpkin Spice Granola - 2

Pour the pumpkin mixture into the oat mixture, and stir to combine. Stir in the chips. Press the mixture into the baking dish.

Pumpkin Spice Granola - 3

Bake 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and give it a good stir, then bake 15 minutes longer or until golden brown.

Pumpkin Spice Granola - 4

Let cool completely before storing in an airtight container.

Posted by on October 25, 2011.

Categories: breakfast & brunch

1. I am so pumpkin obsessed so I’m SUPER excited about your pumpkin granola. (not to mention all of the other pumpkin recipes you’ve posted, I need to comment!) I can’t wait to try this out. 🙂 Thanks for another amazing recipe!

by Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels on Oct 25, 2011 at 11:37 am

2. This looks great! I make granola all the time, and will try this recipe for my next batch. Love the fact that it’s oil-free. I saw that your instructions mentioned adding applesauce to the pumpkin, brown sugar, etc. , but applesauce isn’t in the ingredients list. How much should be used in this recipe?

by Julia on Oct 25, 2011 at 12:09 pm

3. I am always a boring granola maker. Sometimes I spice it up with a few m&ms. 🙂 This looks perfect! And non-boring!

by Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen on Oct 25, 2011 at 12:34 pm

4. Never thought of adding butterscotch chips to granola! Wow, must must must try this out!

by Lauren from Lauren's Latest on Oct 25, 2011 at 1:36 pm

5. Love the addition of butterscotch!

by Erin on Oct 25, 2011 at 1:43 pm

6. WOW! This looks great. You know about my pumpkin obsession so I will be trying this soon!!

by danellesdish on Oct 25, 2011 at 1:59 pm

7. Julia – The applesauce was supposed to be mentioned in the additional ingredient suggestions, not in the directions, whoops! Thanks for letting me know!

by Tracy on Oct 25, 2011 at 2:24 pm

8. The directions mention adding applesauce, but it isn’t listed in the ingredients. How much should I add?

by Jessica on Oct 25, 2011 at 2:55 pm

9. Another great high-fiber addition would be Wheat Germ…..i always have a bag of it in my freezer. I wonder if it would work in place of the millet?

by KirstenL on Oct 25, 2011 at 5:05 pm

10. I want this so bad.

by Christina @ This Woman Cooks! on Oct 25, 2011 at 6:51 pm

11. I need to find some millet and get on this. You think I could swap in wheat germ?

by Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies on Oct 25, 2011 at 6:56 pm

12. Oh heaven help me. This is just what I want. I love pumpkin anything! Come visit us. We have a terrific three way lasagna this week.

by carolinaheartstrings on Oct 25, 2011 at 7:12 pm

13. I just made granola for the first time ever over the weekend, and I feel like such an idiot for not trying it sooner, so easy! I’m with you, yogurt & granola is a go-to weekday meal for me, and now I’m so excited to be able to eat my OWN granola. I’ll have to give your pumpkin spice recipe a try.

by Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) on Oct 25, 2011 at 8:07 pm

14. KirstenL and Amber – I think wheat germ is a great addition! I use it a lot when I make the granola into bars, too. 🙂

by Tracy on Oct 26, 2011 at 12:07 am

15. Now somebody needs to make some cinnamon yogurt or something…that would be so perfect. Thanks for the awesome idea!

by Maria on Oct 26, 2011 at 1:15 am

16. I just saw this and had everything lying around so I just put a batch in the oven, can’t wait to taste the finished result!

by Arienaisekai on Oct 26, 2011 at 6:35 am

17. This sounds absolutely delicious! Love the pumpkin flavour in this.

by Katrina on Oct 26, 2011 at 6:58 am

18. YUm! ive been craving granola lately for some reason, i like the seasonal PUMPKIN addition!

by Alexis @ There She Goes on Oct 26, 2011 at 8:04 am

19. Wow… This sounds amazing! I will be making it ASAP 🙂

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Oct 26, 2011 at 10:16 am

20. Mmmm, I can almost taste it! This almost makes me want to eat breakfast on a regular basis instead of just making do with coffee. Hmmm . . .

by Jenna on Oct 26, 2011 at 12:05 pm

21. Maria, try sprinkling some cinnamon on vanilla (or plain, if you like it tangy) yogurt: voila – cinnamon yogurt!

by Sarah on Oct 26, 2011 at 9:55 pm

22. I’m excited to try making a batch of this granola with the pumpkin sitting in my fridge leftover from other baking projects. I’m not a huge granola fan, but my father-in-law would love this!

by Tracey on Oct 26, 2011 at 10:44 pm

23. Ooo, I like that you’ve added a little millet in there. I need to try this!

by Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen on Oct 27, 2011 at 2:04 am

24. This looks awesome! I just made some homemade granola bars the other day from a Vegan cookbook I have and it came out great. I am definitely going to try this. I’m not vegan, but the recipe I tried was worth the effort 🙂 I <3 pumpkin.

by Theresa on Oct 27, 2011 at 8:55 am

25. Granola is one of my guys favorites, hands down. Snacking, cereal you name it they like. Just wait until I make them this. They’ll be over the moon.

by Tickled Red on Oct 27, 2011 at 8:59 am

26. Hmmm me thinks i need to make up some granola tonic 🙂

by Stephchows on Nov 2, 2011 at 5:57 pm

27. This looks fabulous! I eat a lot of steel-cut oats, and this looks like a great way to jazz it up. I’m bookmarking this to try this weekend!!

by Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl on Nov 2, 2011 at 8:04 pm

28. I have been wanting to make pumpkin granola for some time now, and this looks like a great recipe (I wouldn’t even mind being a little bit naughty and adding in those butterscotch chips as it is the holiday season after all!). I typically make a maple apple walnut granola because I love those fall spices, but I think this might be a nice change.

by CulinarilyCourtney on Nov 19, 2011 at 11:18 pm