Butterscotch, SunButter, and Coconut Bars

Butterscotch, SunButter, and Coconut Bars - 6

Sometimes I have weird dessert ideas. Case in point: these bars. Butterscotch, SunButter, and coconut are all good things, but not necessarily together – so what made me decide that the combination of the three would lead to something wonderful, I don’t really know. The butterscotch chips are super sweet while the SunButter is creamy and a little bit salty, so they meld quite well together. The coconut gives these bars texture, and the shortbread-like crust keeps them from being overly sweet. All in all, I found this experimental combination to be something different, in a very good way, than the usual treats that make an appearance on my cookie trays for the holidays. Give them a try and let me know what you think! And, be sure to check out the rest of the 12 Weeks of Christmas Cookies blog hop to get more ideas for your holiday baking.

For the crust:

For the filling:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease an 8×8? baking dish. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, powdered sugar, and salt. Stir in the melted butter.

Butterscotch, SunButter, and Coconut Bars - 1

Press the dough into the baking dish and then bake 15-20 minutes or until the edges of the crust turn light brown. Let cool completely.

Butterscotch, SunButter, and Coconut Bars - 3

In a microwave, melt the butterscotch chips, SunButter, and butter until smooth.

Butterscotch, SunButter, and Coconut Bars - 2

Sprinkle 1/2 cup coconut over the crust and then pour the butterscotch filling into the crust.

Butterscotch, SunButter, and Coconut Bars - 4

Sprinkle the top with the other half of the coconut. Refrigerate 2 hours or until firm. Cut into 2″ pieces. Makes about 3 dozen bars.

Butterscotch, SunButter, and Coconut Bars - 5

Posted by on October 20, 2011.

Tags: , , ,

1. We’re a SunButter family too. And we grew up making a Rice Krispie treat that had butterscotch chips and peanut butter. So I think this combo sounds good. Only downside is that I can’t use butterscotch chips because of the food dye they contain. Have you ever come across a way to make your own butterscotch chips? I’m wondering if I could use white chocolate and some sort of butterscotch flavored oil or something.

by Debbie on Oct 20, 2011 at 10:06 am

2. Debbie – Sorry, I haven’t made my own butterscotch chips. I don’t see why you couldn’t try it with flavored oil, though. Good luck!

by Tracy on Oct 20, 2011 at 10:10 am

3. I might try making it with real butterscotch instead of chips and see how it goes!

by Casey@Good. Food. Stories. on Oct 20, 2011 at 10:24 am

4. How great is it when a random combination turns out so wonderful?

by Erin on Oct 20, 2011 at 11:37 am

5. Mmmm! I love the unique sound of these bars. And I’m a sucker for coconut, so I think I’d love ’em.

by Jenna on Oct 20, 2011 at 11:41 am

6. What a great experiment! It looks scrumptious.

by Kristen on Oct 20, 2011 at 2:28 pm

7. Never heard of sunbutter, but your pictures have me drooling!!! I love the shot of that butterscotch being poured into the baking dish. Butterscotch makes me so very happy 🙂

by Desi on Oct 20, 2011 at 3:55 pm

8. These bars sound wonderful and they look incredible! What a great addition to holiday cookies!!

by BreAna {Sugar & Spice & All Things Iced} on Oct 20, 2011 at 6:13 pm

9. This looks like an awesome creation born of brilliance!

by Kita on Oct 20, 2011 at 7:02 pm

10. Very interesting combination! I love when experiments work out. 🙂

by Carrie @ poet in the pantry on Oct 20, 2011 at 8:42 pm

11. This sounds so yummy! I can’t eat coconut, but I know these bars would be just as nice without it. Yum!

by Katrina on Oct 20, 2011 at 9:05 pm

12. I must be living under a rock, because I just had to turn to Google to find out what Sun Butter is 🙂

These look delicious, and I’m quite envious of how neatly you sliced them. I can never get bars I make to look like that!

by Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen on Oct 20, 2011 at 9:21 pm

13. Those are beautiful! And they sound yummy, you had me at “butterscotch”. 🙂

by Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust on Oct 20, 2011 at 9:37 pm

14. Wow, this certainly does look like an interesting gathering of ingredients in this bar. It sure does look good though 🙂

by Becca on Oct 20, 2011 at 10:25 pm

15. How creative! Sweet and salty is always a real treat.

by Lisa @ Sweet as Sugar Cookies on Oct 21, 2011 at 1:07 am

16. Thanks, Tracy & Casey. I think this sounds like the perfect opportunity to experiment with something I’ve been wanting to try for months. I’ll report back what I find.

by Debbie on Oct 21, 2011 at 4:05 pm

17. I love bar cookies. SO much! 🙂

by Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies on Oct 21, 2011 at 5:26 pm

18. Don’t you love when “weird” recipe ideas turn out to be some of your favorite dishes? These look so darn good!

by Cookin' Canuck on Oct 21, 2011 at 7:36 pm

19. Love you blog! All of your recipes are wonderful and I intend to try them!!!

by Jenny on Oct 22, 2011 at 10:22 am

20. I just made it and it’s cooling in the fridge as I write this. If the end product tastes as good as the melted parts it’s going to be a huge hit in our house! Thanks for the recipe.

by Christine on Oct 22, 2011 at 8:31 pm

21. I love that the edges cut so neatly – the bars look perfect! I’m a big fan of the salty/sweet combo.

by Tracey on Oct 23, 2011 at 2:18 pm

22. I’m another one who hasn’t heard of SunButter. The bars look scrumptious!

by Barbara @ Barbara Bakes on Oct 24, 2011 at 12:34 pm

23. These look really amazing, Tracy! I could certainly go for some butterscotch right now. Yum 🙂

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Oct 26, 2011 at 10:21 am