Pumpkin Spice Scones

Pumpkin Spice Scones - 7

Last year, pumpkin scones were at the top of my “to-make with pumpkin list” (yes, I have a list for that. I told you it’s an obsession!), but they ended up getting lost in the shuffle as October turned into November and the holidays descended upon us. This year, I resolved that I’d make them before all the craziness of the holidays hits, and I’m so glad I did. I’m not sure if any of you out there give homemade Christmas gifts, but I think you understand when I say that even though I tell myself I’m going to start everything early – during the summer even – it rarely happens, and I’m always scrambling to get everything done right up until Christmas Day. Incidentally, the 12 Weeks of Christmas Cookies that’s going on right now helps greatly with that, since by the time it’s over my cookie trays are all done for the season…one more thing to check off the list! But back to the scones – of the many types I’ve made, this recipe is definitely another keeper. I used the handy scone pan that my friend gave me as a Christmas gift to bake them up, although you certainly don’t need a pan at all to make these, just a baking sheet will do. While I usually top my scones with something even if it’s just a bit of milk and sugar, this is the first scone I’ve made a glaze for, and I can tell you that it really makes these scones shine. Have them for breakfast or dessert with a cup of coffee or hot cocoa!

For the glaze:

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and spices.

Pumpkin Spice Scones - 1

Cut the butter into tablespoon-sized pieces, and using a pastry blender, incorporate it into the dry ingredients.

Pumpkin Spice Scones - 2

In another medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, pumpkin, milk, and maple syrup.

Pumpkin Spice Scones - 3

Whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Turn the dough out on to a floured surface and knead to combine.

Pumpkin Spice Scones - 4

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. If you’re not using a scone pan, separate the dough into halves. Shape each half of dough into a circle, and then cut each half into four wedges. If you are using a scone pan, spray it lightly with cooking spray. Divide the dough into equal pieces and press into the pan.

Pumpkin Spice Scones - 5

Place the scones in the freezer, uncovered, for about 30 minutes. In the meantime, make the glaze. In a small bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, maple syrup, cinnamon, and nutmeg.

Pumpkin Spice Scones - 6
When the scones are ready to be baked, put them right in the oven. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack to cool before drizzling with the glaze.

Pumpkin Spice Scones - 8

Posted by on October 18, 2011.

Categories: breakfast & brunch

1. YUM! There’s a good chance I’ll be thinking about these pumpkin scones for the rest of the day… And I love that scone pan you have!

by Colleen @ What's Baking in the Barbershop?! on Oct 18, 2011 at 11:41 am

2. Oh, wow! My list of what to make with pumpkin this fall just grew! I want.

by JenniferA on Oct 18, 2011 at 11:50 am

3. These look utterly divine! Pumpkin + carbs are always good in my book!

by Lauren on Oct 18, 2011 at 12:02 pm

4. MMM!!! Let me just say that again… MMMMMMM!!! We adore pumpkin scones here, and I’m loving your use of the maple! My daughter would go nuts for these!

by Kim - Liv Life on Oct 18, 2011 at 12:08 pm

5. These look so good! Moist indeed!

by Noelle (@singerinkitchen) on Oct 18, 2011 at 12:09 pm

6. I have a growing list of pumpkin foods to make too! Why do we wait til fall when we know they’re good all year long! Thanks for sharing…

by Jenn on Oct 18, 2011 at 12:31 pm

7. Yum, I love pumpkin scones! I’ve never seen, nor heard of, a scone pan. LOVE it!

by Aimee @ ShugarySweets on Oct 18, 2011 at 12:41 pm

8. I just made pumpkin scones a little while back – they’re pretty much the best things ever, especially glazed! And I’m loving your scone pan. Super jealous :)

by Angela @ The Dancer Bakes on Oct 18, 2011 at 1:37 pm

9. Those are my absolute favorite kind of scone. Look just delicious! Come visit us. We have an awesome pumpkin panna cotta recipe to share.

by carolinaheartstrings on Oct 18, 2011 at 3:41 pm

10. These sound absolutely wonderful! Great recipe!

by Katrina on Oct 18, 2011 at 5:05 pm

11. These look absolutely delicious! I love making scones and this is a perfect fall version. thanks for sharing!

by Amilia @justeverydayme on Oct 18, 2011 at 6:10 pm

12. Pumpkin scones are one of my very favorite kinds, especially when topped with a maple glaze! I have a long list of pumpkin goodies to bake too, and sadly I know there’s no way I’ll get through it before the holidays get crazy.

by Tracey on Oct 18, 2011 at 9:12 pm

13. I’ve toggled with the idea of making pumpkin scones for a while now as well. And on the rare ocassion I go to Starbucks, that pumpkin scone is all I have eyes for, but I never get it. Yours look absolutely gorgeous and I love me a maple glaze.

By the way, I’m a new reader, I’m starting to read previous posts. You have good thing going here :)

by Becca on Oct 18, 2011 at 10:31 pm

14. I might have to glaze my next batch of scones – those are SERIOUSLY shiny.

by Casey@Good. Food. Stories. on Oct 18, 2011 at 10:56 pm

15. THese look amazing

by Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. on Oct 19, 2011 at 9:15 am

16. Scones are SO fun to make…and THESE just got on my list!!

by Amy DeKok on Oct 19, 2011 at 10:34 am

17. I need that pan! I’m a bit of a scone addict, and these are on my next to make list now!

by Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen on Oct 19, 2011 at 3:29 pm

18. I love pumpkin scones and these look superb!

by Maria on Oct 19, 2011 at 5:40 pm

19. Just made these and are sitting in the freezer….can’t wait to eat them! BTW…why do you put them in the freezer before baking??

by Karen Armstrong on Oct 20, 2011 at 10:34 am

20. Karen – Putting them in the freezer for a bit before popping them in the oven helps the butter to firm up quickly and results in a taller, fluffier scone – just the way I like ‘em! :-)

by Tracy on Oct 20, 2011 at 10:48 am

21. Thank you Tracy!

by Karen Armstrong on Oct 20, 2011 at 11:07 am

22. Ooh, more pumpkin! And, a reminder that I still need to get one of those scone pans. I will remind Santa (aka hubby) to put that on my list. :)

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Oct 26, 2011 at 10:22 am

23. These scones where the hit of a knitting group session today! Thanks! I have many things from your blog and never had a bad one yet! Keep up the great ideas.

by Sunya on Oct 30, 2011 at 4:18 pm