Pumpkin Shortbread

Pumpkin Shortbread - 6

I can hardly believe it’s already week 3 of the 12 Weeks of Christmas Cookies. Doesn’t it feel like the first two weeks just flew by in a blur? This week, my pumpkin obsession continues with this recipe for pumpkin shortbread. I adapted it from Amber’s Really Perfect Shortbread recipe, and I can tell you that she’s not kidding when she says it’s really perfect; I made a batch for a little get-together I had with one of my girlfriends and we were both having trouble stopping ourselves from eating “just one more” cookie. I do want to note that if you’re using a shortbread mold like I did, you mustn’t skip the step of letting the shortbread dough rest in the refrigerator before baking. While the shortbread will still come out perfectly delicious and buttery, you may not get the nice shapes from the mold since the butter won’t have had a chance to firm up again. Of course, you don’t need a fancy shmancy shortbread mold to make this, that’s just for fun. Now, go forth and make shortbread!

Recipe and method adapted from here.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, and spices.

Pumpkin Shortbread - 2

In a large bowl, beat together the pumpkin, butter, and powdered sugar until fluffy.

Pumpkin Shortbread - 1

Add in the flour mixture and beat until combined. The mixture will be crumbly.

Pumpkin Shortbread - 3

Place in the refrigerator for 20-30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees, and spray the shortbread mold thoroughly with cooking spray. Press the dough into the mold and then prick the top with a fork.

Pumpkin Shortbread - 4

Bake 30-35 minutes or until lightly browned. Let cool before removing from the pan, but be sure to cut into pieces while it is still warm or it may crumble.

Pumpkin Shortbread - 5

Posted by on October 13, 2011.

Tags: , ,

1. I love the shortbread mold! I’m not sure I’ve ever seen pumpkin shortbread – can’t wait to try this one!

by amanda @ fake ginger on Oct 13, 2011 at 11:48 am

2. How would you bake these if you don’t have a mold?

by Beth Anne on Oct 13, 2011 at 1:40 pm

3. the mold is GORGEOUS!

by Jessica @ How Sweet on Oct 13, 2011 at 1:57 pm

4. Beth Anne – A quarter sheet pan would probably work pretty well, and Amber suggests scoring the shortbread before baking so that you can easily cut it into pieces the size you want when it comes out of the oven. Hope that helps!

by Tracy on Oct 13, 2011 at 2:02 pm

5. I’m DEFINITELY making these! Thank you so much!

by Mary @ Bites and Bliss on Oct 13, 2011 at 2:34 pm

6. What a beautiful cookie! I would love to have one right now. Perfect for a snack!

by Christina @ This Woman Cooks! on Oct 13, 2011 at 2:38 pm

7. THis looks almost too pretty to eat! Shortbread is a holiday indulgence I enjoy with a cup of tea. Add pumpkin to it–yummy!

by Brenda @ Meal PLanning Magic on Oct 13, 2011 at 3:52 pm

8. My mom-in-law has the coolest shortbread molds and she makes THE BEST shortbread for us every Christmas. I might have to sneak into her kitchen and appropriate the molds before December!

by Casey@Good. Food. Stories. on Oct 13, 2011 at 3:56 pm

9. Gorgeous! I never could get mine to look like that when I used molds. Must have been skipping the refrigeration that did it. Thanks for the tip!

by Carrie @ poet in the pantry on Oct 13, 2011 at 4:23 pm

10. Pumpkin Shortbread?! That sounds absolutely delicious and it looks amazing!! I love your mold!

by BreAna {Sugar & Spice & All Things Iced} on Oct 13, 2011 at 5:27 pm

11. I didn’t even know that shortbread molds were a thing that existed, but now I really want one! These are so pretty, and look delicious!

by Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen on Oct 13, 2011 at 5:30 pm

12. Those are absolutely gorgeous and they sound so yummy too!

by Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust on Oct 13, 2011 at 7:28 pm

13. These look awesome! I have so many pumpkin recipes I need to try! :) Thanks for sharing

by Amilia Nimblett on Oct 13, 2011 at 8:37 pm

14. Your cookies are beautiful Tracy, and I love the idea of a pumpkin shortbread! I’d never seen a shortbread mold before, what a neat idea :)

by Tracey on Oct 13, 2011 at 8:53 pm

15. Mmm, I love the simplicity of shortbread, and a pumpkin version sounds incredible! I love the design on the cookies, too!

by Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) on Oct 13, 2011 at 9:09 pm

16. Absolutely gorgeous!

by Cara on Oct 13, 2011 at 9:35 pm

17. What stunningly good looking shortbread! Wonderful choice to share for 12WCC

by Kita on Oct 13, 2011 at 9:40 pm

18. Count me in the number who didn’t know a shortbread mold existed….sounds like I need one to try this out. Way cooler then the round cake pan I normally use.

by Angela Watts on Oct 13, 2011 at 10:37 pm

19. These are so pretty! Loooooove them!

by Karly on Oct 13, 2011 at 11:11 pm

20. What an adorable mould, they make the cookie look even prettier. I can only imagine how great they tasted.

by Trisha on Oct 14, 2011 at 12:15 am

21. These turned out so pretty! Love it!

by Katrina on Oct 14, 2011 at 8:40 am

22. Love these! Going on pinterest now

by Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. on Oct 14, 2011 at 9:10 am

23. Oh my goodness… These shortbread look so good! I’m going kitchen shopping tomorrow (at a kitchen supply outlet around here), and I think I might need to keep my eyes open for a shortbread mold. :)

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Oct 14, 2011 at 10:58 am

24. Your shortbread mold is awesome! The cookies look so dainty and pretty.

by Jenna on Oct 14, 2011 at 11:06 am

25. these look adorable, and such a simple recipe.

by Sandy@divaeatsworld.com on Oct 14, 2011 at 1:51 pm

26. I’ve been wanting to make these. Love your gorgeous design on them.

by Sweet as Sugar Cookies on Oct 15, 2011 at 2:00 am

27. I’ve always wanted to make shortbread and I love this festive autumnal version! Thanks for sharing!

by Erika - The Teenage Taste on Oct 16, 2011 at 3:24 pm

28. These are so pretty! What a perfect fall cookie. They sound delicious; I love shortbread. I want a mold like that:) I have never seen anything like it.

by Raina on Oct 17, 2011 at 9:12 am

29. Yay! I’m so glad it worked out this time. And you’re a genius. Why haven’t I ever put pumpkin puree in shortbread before?

by Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies on Oct 19, 2011 at 10:37 am

30. Those look stunning, I love the decorations! Shortbread is the ultimate Christmas cookie, I reckon, and the addition of pumpkin and spice sounds like a stroke of genius :-)

by Eleanor@Eatinglikeahorse on Oct 20, 2011 at 11:32 am

31. Oh my word, these looks to die for incredible.

by shelly (cookies and cups) on Oct 21, 2011 at 9:01 am

32. Beautiful! And I do have a mold packed away somewhere!
    I must give these a try. Thank you!

by Kathleen on Oct 21, 2011 at 2:07 pm

33. Oh this does make me want a shortbread mold, because these are beautiful! And I bet delicious, too! :)

by Erin on Oct 23, 2011 at 11:30 am

34. Tracy! These are gorgeous!!!

by bridget {bake at 350} on Oct 24, 2011 at 1:56 pm

35. Gorgeous. Just gorgeous!

I just found your blog today, which is bad news for me since it now appears I’ll be gaining five pounds trying out your wonderful recipes.

by Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl on Oct 24, 2011 at 2:25 pm

36. These are gorgeous. I love the color and pattern – reminds me of the shortbread I had as a child in England!

by Rachel on Oct 31, 2011 at 10:13 am

37. These look so cute and pretty!

by JulieD on Nov 2, 2011 at 11:38 am

38. these look awesome!

saw them on pinterest…repinned onto my pumpkin board!

by Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga on Nov 4, 2011 at 8:58 pm

39. I’ve never seen a shortbread mold like that, but what a time saver! Yours look delicious, perfectly golden brown and perfect for tea.

by Yasmeen - Wandering Spice on Nov 5, 2011 at 4:26 am

40. Soooo good! Wow. Just pulled them out of the oven, and all four of us tasted one. Perfect!! Now, I didn’t use a mold. I rolled the refrigerated dough out and used mini fall-motif cookie cutters. Then I baked for 15 minutes. We will be keeping this recipe forever! Thank you so, so much.

by Pamela on Nov 23, 2011 at 1:53 pm

41. I just made these cookies and I thought they were awful! They were tasteless and a big disappointment. Would not recommend this recipe

by Alyssa on Oct 6, 2012 at 5:40 pm

42. Alyssa – I’m sorry they didn’t turn out for you! If you have any questions or would like help troubleshooting what may have went wrong, shoot me an e-mail!

by Tracy on Oct 6, 2012 at 7:49 pm

43. Hi there! I wanted to let you know I featured you on Sugar Blossoms today. Stop by and check it out! http://sweetsugarblossoms.blogspot.com/2013/09/i-freakin-love-pumpkin.html

by TJ {Sugar Blossoms} on Sep 2, 2013 at 10:38 am

44. Made a batch using a petit fours pan. Got 30 perfect, wonderful cookies out of it. My family of four ate half the batch immediately! Delicious!

by Geoff on Sep 13, 2014 at 6:05 pm