Pumpkin-Oat Muffins with Cinnamon-Streusel Topping

Pumpkin-Oat Muffins - 7

Over the weekend, hubby and I stopped at a local farm to pick up a few pumpkins to decorate our doorstep. Saturday was a clear and uncharacteristically warm day, so we enjoyed a leisurely afternoon eating lunch and strolling around the grounds of the farm, picking out one round and one tall pumpkin…and a couple of winter squash as well, since we still have yet to receive any from our CSA this year. Even though I’ve been cooking up a storm with the other types of squash we purchased and have recipes to share, I had to share these pumpkin muffins that I made for my sister. For years, I’ve followed a recipe given to me by a friend to make pumpkin muffins using a boxed cake mix…so this time I decided to make them from scratch, and I can honestly say that it wasn’t any more trouble than the boxed recipe was. I also added some oats, as well as an oat and cinnamon streusel topping. These muffins go wonderfully with a hot cup of coffee – especially pumpkin spice coffee, although I may be just a tad pumpkin-obsessed this time of year! Either way, I hope you’ll give them a try, and I hope you are enjoying autumn, regardless of the weather.

For the muffins:

For the streusel topping:

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and spray a muffin pan with cooking spray. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, spices, and oats.

Pumpkin-Oat Muffins - 1

In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg, pumpkin, milk, and yogurt.

Pumpkin-Oat Muffins - 2

Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients just until combined.

Pumpkin-Oat Muffins - 4

To make the streusel topping, whisk together the flour, oats, brown sugar, and spices. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender.

Pumpkin-Oat Muffins - 3

Spoon the batter into the muffin pan, filling each one 2/3 full. Sprinkle on the streusel topping. (It’s okay if you make a mess. I totally did!)

Pumpkin-Oat Muffins - 5

Bake 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Pumpkin-Oat Muffins - 6

Let cool at least 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Makes 12 muffins.

Posted by on October 11, 2011.

1. Beautiful, perfectly Autumnal muffins!

by Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies on Oct 11, 2011 at 12:22 pm

2. Those muffins look fantastic. I cannot wait to try them out. We are celebrating our first anniversary today and our first give away. Come over and visit. We would love for you to be a winner.

by carolinaheartstrings on Oct 11, 2011 at 3:04 pm

3. These look great – I love both pumpkin and streusel topping. Every time I make muffins topped with streusel I have to stop myself from just eating bites of topping out of the bowl 🙂

by Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen on Oct 11, 2011 at 3:14 pm

4. That cinnamon streusel topping looks sooo good!

by Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen on Oct 11, 2011 at 3:50 pm

5. Yum! I always get obsessed with streusel topping and anything with cinnamon crispiness in the fall.

by Casey@Good. Food. Stories. on Oct 11, 2011 at 4:59 pm

6. Those look SO delicious. I could eat a pumpkin treat every day during fall. I had to buy some huge pumpkins and cook them up so that I would have enough to satisfy all of my pumpkin cravings.

by Kristen on Oct 11, 2011 at 7:03 pm

7. Mmm love the topping on these especially. So yummy!

by Katrina on Oct 11, 2011 at 7:07 pm

8. These look so yummy! I could eat that streusel topping by the spoonful! 😉

by Erika - The Teenage Taste on Oct 11, 2011 at 7:43 pm

9. Amazing. Why can’t we be neighbors?

Great recipe, I’m always looking for yummy muffins to tuck into school lunches. Thanks!

by Aimee @ Simple Bites on Oct 12, 2011 at 8:16 am

10. Oh, dear. Must. make. today. no. NOW!

by Leslie, the Home Maker on Oct 12, 2011 at 11:34 am

11. I’m loving every moment of your pumpkin obsession. So no need to apologize. =)

by Jenna on Oct 12, 2011 at 11:47 am

12. YUM … I want them now! I find nothing wrong with a pumpkin obsession.

by Brenda on Oct 12, 2011 at 12:40 pm

13. I love almost anything with pumpkin in it! I’m still eating last year’s pumpkin because I grew and roasted so many! I look forward to trying these! 🙂

by Paula @ Dishing the Divine on Oct 12, 2011 at 12:55 pm

14. These are inspiring. I made pumpkin streusel muffins with a dab of cream cheese filling last week. While delicious, they seemed a tad greasy and sweet despite little oil in the batter. Think I’ll try the same filling with yours which have zero additional oil, and the egg should provide the taste/mouth feel and a happy medium. Thanks!

by wendyb964 on Oct 12, 2011 at 3:43 pm

15. These muffins look so good. And, I really love the photo of the baked muffins in the tin. Lovely!

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Oct 12, 2011 at 9:21 pm

16. This recipe looks awesome! It’s a rainy, dark day here in Chicago, and I think I may just have to make these pumpkin muffins to brighten the day a little.

by Anna on Oct 13, 2011 at 8:43 am

17. Enjoying their spicy aroma wafting through my kitchen as I type this… 🙂

by Sam on Oct 13, 2011 at 10:44 am

18. these look amazing! i absolutely love pumpkin-everything this time of year and i think i will be whipping these up tonight 🙂 thank you for the delicous inspiration!

by Hailey on Oct 13, 2011 at 11:47 am

19. These look wonderful! I can almost smell them through the screen!

by Angela @ The Dancer Bakes on Oct 14, 2011 at 1:17 pm

20. These look amazing. I have 3 cans of pumpkin in my pantry waiting for me and I think this recipes qualifies as one to try.

by Danelle @ www.danellesdish.com on Oct 15, 2011 at 3:03 pm

21. I love everything pumpkin and these muffins are no exception. I made some similar to this last week, but added a bid dollop of cream cheese in the middle. So good!

by Jamie | My Baking Addiction on Oct 17, 2011 at 4:22 pm

22. Oh my goodness streusel topping..I though you had me at pumpkin. Drool!!!

by Diane {Created by Diane} on Oct 21, 2011 at 12:27 pm

23. apparently I drooled so much I couldn’t spell streusel correctly.

by Diane {Created by Diane} on Oct 21, 2011 at 12:28 pm

24. These look like the perfect fall muffin!
    I’m a muffin fiend, so I can’t wait to try them. I love that they use sour cream – always a good addition to quick breads and muffins. Yummy!

by Rachel @ Bakerita on Oct 24, 2011 at 9:31 pm

25. I would eat all of these muffins in one sitting if given the chance. They look so good!

by Michelle @ Taste As You Go on Nov 1, 2011 at 8:09 am