Pumpkin Pudding

Pumpkin Pudding - 4

Every year around Halloween, seasonal pumpkin-flavored pudding boxes appear in our grocery store for a limited time. My sister and I always giggle when we see the displays, because my mom loves the stuff and always stocks up as soon as it becomes available just in case the store runs out quickly. Even though I love anything pumpkin myself, I’m actually not a huge fan of the pudding, since I find that it has more of a plastic-y taste than anything else. So, I got to thinking a few days ago – why not make my own pumpkin pudding from scratch, and with real pumpkin? I set to work in the kitchen and found that, as usual, the homemade version tastes much better than its boxed counterpart – and, as I’m sure my mom will agree, one of the best parts is that you can have pumpkin pudding whenever you want! Enjoy!

In a small bowl, whisk together the milk and egg.

Pumpkin Pudding - 1

In another small bowl, combine the pumpkin and spices.

Pumpkin Pudding - 2

In a sauce pan over medium heat, combine the cornstarch and sugar. Gradually whisk in the milk mixture, scraping the bottom and sides with a rubber spatula to break up lumps. Bring to a boil and cook until the mixture thickens and coats the spatual, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat.

Pumpkin Pudding - 3

Add the pumpkin mixture to the pudding, stirring to combine. Place the pan back over low heat and warm until heated through. Strain through a mesh strainer into a bowl to remove any lumps. Transfer the mixture to a clean bowl or bowls, and place plastic wrap directly on the surface of the pudding so that a skin will not form (unless you like the skin, in which case simply cover the bowl or bowls with the wrap). Refrigerate at least an hour before serving.

Pumpkin Pudding - 5

Posted by on October 3, 2011.

Tags:

1. I’m making this soon! Perfect easy fall dessert!! Looks so yummy

by Carrie @ Bakeaholic Mama on Oct 3, 2011 at 11:26 am

2. I have never seen pumpkin pudding! But oh my, it looks perfectly delicious, creamy – and best of all – pumpkiny.

by Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies on Oct 3, 2011 at 11:26 am

3. I’ve been looking for some pumpkin inspiration for today and I think I just found it!! This looks heavenly!

by Taylor at greens & chocolate on Oct 3, 2011 at 11:28 am

4. Yummy! Love pumpkin pudding!

by Lori @ RecipeGirl on Oct 3, 2011 at 11:30 am

5. I can not wait to make this… I was unable to find the store bought pumpkin pudding in the store last year and don’t think I will care to find it this year. I can make your homemade verse\ion!!!! thank you

by becky on Oct 3, 2011 at 11:31 am

6. I always buy tons of the boxed mix on clearance at the end of the season. Last year I got them free after a coupon and donated a bunch to the food pantry as well. Definitely lacks the actual pumpkin depth, but is a welcome change from regular flavors.

Will have to try this out, Does ti come out as yellow looking as the picture or is it a more orangey color?

My favorite use for pumpkin pudding is mixed with cool whip to make a dip for fruit and graham crackers.

by Angela Watts on Oct 3, 2011 at 2:40 pm

7. I’ve never heard of pumpkin pudding before, but this sounds delicious! I bet it would make a really yummy parfait with some whipped cream and crushed gingersnaps. Yum.

by Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen on Oct 3, 2011 at 3:04 pm

8. This sounds amazing! I’ve never had pumpkin pudding before. I really want to try it!

by Christina @ This Woman Cooks! on Oct 3, 2011 at 6:10 pm

9. I am LOVING all of these pumpkin recipes I’m finding online! YUM!

by Lauren from Lauren's Latest on Oct 3, 2011 at 6:19 pm

10. OH MY GOD ITS THE PUDDING. GRAB IT ALL. GRAB IT ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

by Laura K. on Oct 3, 2011 at 8:37 pm

11. I am trying this!!! I LOVE pudding and I LOVE pumpkin… this is a great idea.

by SnoWhite @ Finding Joy in My Kitchen on Oct 3, 2011 at 8:53 pm

12. Mmm love this! Perfect for fall 🙂

by Katrina on Oct 4, 2011 at 7:36 am

13. I love this dessert! I haven’t made pudding in ages, so maybe this weekend I’ll give it a whirl.
    By the way, I made your split pea soup last night–AMAZING! So comforting and delicious. I’ll blog about it at some point in the next month or so. Thanks for a great recipe–my husband even said “Why don’t we make this all the time??”

by Jenna on Oct 4, 2011 at 12:08 pm

14. Never had pumpkin pudding… and that’s gotta change.

by Paula @ Dishing the Divine on Oct 4, 2011 at 12:38 pm

15. ahhh pudding from scratch is so comforting and i love anything pumpkin. this recipe is awesome.

by what katie's baking on Oct 4, 2011 at 1:32 pm

16. I’ve never had pumpkin pudding but I want to try it!

by Maria on Oct 4, 2011 at 1:33 pm

17. Yum! This sounds wonderful, great use of pumpkin. I think my kids would like this too:)

by RAINA on Oct 4, 2011 at 8:25 pm

18. Sounds good, I love pudding in it’s chocolate and butterscotch forms so this is right up my alley.

by Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen on Oct 4, 2011 at 8:26 pm

19. Yum! I’ve never had pumpkin pudding before, but I have had a dip made with vanilla pudding and pumpkin, and it was divine. So, I’ll be making this. Perhaps tonight 🙂

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Oct 6, 2011 at 4:10 pm

20. I am pretty much obsessed with pumpkin everything right now. And it never crossed my mind to make pumpkin pudding. This sounds incredible.

by Jamie | My Baking Addiction on Oct 9, 2011 at 7:05 pm

21. Oh my gosh! I love this recipe sooooo much! I just made it with my friends and we’re serving it up tomorrow during a charity event that we’re hosting! It is so wonderful and creamy and flavorful! Thank you for the great recipe.

by Brittani on Oct 15, 2011 at 4:12 am

22. I just made it, and it’s waiting in the fridge for dessert! 🙂 Thanks for posting a great, naturally gluten free, and easy recipe to use up all my leftover pumpkin with!

by Courtney on Oct 8, 2012 at 9:03 pm