Pumpkin Biscuits

Pumpkin Biscuits - 5

Are you sick of pumpkin yet? No? Good, because I’m just getting started – I have many more pumpkin recipes to share with you! After sharing my recipe for split pea soup with you yesterday, I couldn’t leave you hanging without the perfect biscuit to serve along with it. I made these biscuits for the first time a few years ago to be served at a Thanksgiving-style potluck…but to be honest, the first version didn’t turn out all that great – they were okay, but nothing amazing. However, I’ve been making them ever since with a few tweaks here and there each time, and I’d like to believe that I’ve finally perfected the recipe. These biscuits are light and fluffy with a touch of sweetness, and they’re perfect both with a pat of butter or for cleaning up a hearty bowl of soup. I also like to serve them for breakfast with a light spread of apple maple butter. Any way you like to eat your biscuits, I hope you’ll enjoy these!

• 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 1 Tbsp baking powder
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 2 Tbsp brown sugar
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
  • 2 Tbsp butter
  • 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 2 Tbsp maple syrup

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, brown sugar, and spices. Blend in the butter using a pastry blender.

Pumpkin Biscuits - 1

In a medium bowl, combine the pumpkin, milk, and maple syrup.

Pumpkin Biscuits - 2

Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until the mixture holds together. Knead lightly on a floured surface and roll out to 1″ thickness. Using a 2″ biscuit butter, cut the dough into circles.

Pumpkin Biscuits - 3

Re-roll the scraps and cut out biscuits until you have used all of the dough. Place on the prepared baking sheet.

Pumpkin Biscuits - 4

Bake 12-14 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Makes a half dozen biscuits.

30 Responses to “Pumpkin Biscuits”

1. 1 Katrina Says:
    September 27th, 2011 at 6:27 am

These sound lovely! Great recipe :)

2. 2 Carrie @ Bakeaholic Mama Says:
    September 27th, 2011 at 7:23 am

Never ever will I get sick of new pumpkin flavors! I will make these this weekend. I plan on making a batch of crabapple butter… this would pair perfectly with that!

3. 3 Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction Says:
    September 27th, 2011 at 10:30 am

These look great! I’m not very good at baking biscuits for some reason… They never quite turn out right. I think I’ll have to give this recipe a try. I am in love with all things pumpkin, and perhaps I can redeem myself!

4. 4 Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies Says:
    September 27th, 2011 at 11:18 am

Holy smokes these look delicious!!

5. 5 Jenna Says:
    September 27th, 2011 at 2:27 pm

I really can’t believe it’s pumpkin season again. Wow–the summer has truly flown by.

6. 6 Christina @ This Woman Cooks! Says:
    September 27th, 2011 at 4:23 pm

I’m not sick of pumpkin! I want one of these for breakfast.

7. 7 Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) Says:
    September 27th, 2011 at 10:02 pm

How could we be sick of pumpkin?!? Fall JUST started! :) These look so good. I think my family would go crazy for these if I put them on the table at Thanksgiving.

8. 8 Casey@Good. Food. Stories. Says:
    September 27th, 2011 at 10:53 pm

yes! I’d smear them with butter and apple cider jelly.

9. 9 Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking Says:
    September 28th, 2011 at 10:25 am

Tracy, I love all of your unique pumpkin ideas! These biscuits look incredible. I could definitely picture them on the side of a hearty soup or chili. Wonderful recipe! Thanks for sharing and inspiring me, and for stopping by my blog, too.

10. 10 Lauren from Lauren's Latest Says:
    September 28th, 2011 at 11:24 am

Yeah, I can’t stop making pumpkin recipes! They are just too good! Love this idea!

11. 11 Cookin' Canuck Says:
    September 28th, 2011 at 3:59 pm

I can only imagine how good these would be with that maple butter. Yum! And what a pretty color these are.

12. 12 Deb Says:
    September 28th, 2011 at 6:22 pm

What an irresistible start to fall baking! Your biscuits evoke autumn memories and would be lovely with a soup or salad. i hope the pumpkin shortage is just a marketing myth!

13. 13 Tracey Says:
    September 28th, 2011 at 6:44 pm

I just opened a giant can of pumpkin so I’m stockpiling recipes to help me use it up. These are definitely going on the list, I love them!

14. 14 raven Says:
    September 28th, 2011 at 7:50 pm

I don’t have a pastry blender. Could I mix it up with a fork or wisk or some alternative tool? I really hope so because these look amazingly delicious!

15. 15 Tracy Says:
    September 28th, 2011 at 9:20 pm

Raven – You can cut the butter in with a couple of forks. Hope that helps!

16. 16 Marilyn Says:
    September 29th, 2011 at 10:39 pm

Yummy!! These look amazing..Great photo’s as well.. love it.. I would LOVE for you to link it up to my fall crawl blog party.. I’m officially following ya with smiles – I found ya on linky..GREAT blog with Lots of inspirations here :) ) – the link to link up is http://theartsygirlconnection.blogspot.com/2011/09/fall-crawl-day-12-blog-party.html

17. 17 Emily Says:
    September 30th, 2011 at 9:02 am

Hi – I made these last night and they were incredible, however, the dough was so sticky, I was totally unable to roll and cut them into biscuits. I ended up just making them a drop biscuit and they were still great, but I was wondering if I could have done something wrong?

18. 18 Tracy Says:
    September 30th, 2011 at 2:36 pm

Emily – I’d suggest adding some more flour to the dough as you knead it until it holds together well enough to be rolled out. Hope that helps!

19. 19 The Food Allergy Mom Says:
    October 1st, 2011 at 7:00 pm

Anyone tried this recipe as gluten-free? I’m thinking of trying it with King Arthur’s gluten-free baking flour. These sound amazing!

20. 20 Carol Says:
    October 3rd, 2011 at 9:15 pm

I’ll never get sick of pumpkin! Bring on the recipes! These look amazing :)

21. 21 Jamie | My Baking Addiction Says:
    October 3rd, 2011 at 9:47 pm

I LOVE pumpkin and biscuits – so this is pretty much a win – win for me!

22. 22 Angela @ The Dancer Bakes Says:
    October 4th, 2011 at 7:57 pm

YUM! And I love how low fat you made them! Can’t wait to give these a try :)

23. 23 raven Says:
    October 8th, 2011 at 9:03 pm

I made these biscuits this morning and they had delicious flavor! But mine came out a bit dense and heavy. Could you suggest what I might do to lighten them a bit? Make them more flaky? Perhaps I kneaded them too much? Any advice would be wonderful. Thank you for the great recipe.

24. 24 Noelle (@singerinkitchen) Says:
    October 10th, 2011 at 11:28 am

Thanks for the recipe! I veganized them and they actually made a dozen even after the scraps. FYI. They were delicious http://www.singerskitchen.com/2011/10/fluffy-vegan-pumpkin-biscuits-and.html

25. 25 Tracy Says:
    October 10th, 2011 at 11:35 am

Raven – I’d suggest adding in another 2-3 Tbsp cold butter with the flour mixture to give them a flakier texture. Hope that helps!

26. 26 Colleen @ What's Baking in the Barbershop?! Says:
    October 13th, 2011 at 1:28 pm

These look WONDERFUL!!!!!! Thanks for this great recipe! :) Will never get sick of pumpkin…

27. 27 Park City Lodging Says:
    October 14th, 2011 at 2:36 pm

This is a wonderful recipe, thanks so much for sharing. You did a great job with the images too; I will definitely try this recipe this weekend.

28. 28 Sarah K. @ The Pajama Chef Says:
    October 23rd, 2011 at 6:34 pm

I made these recently & they were great! thanks for sharing :)

29. 29 Katherine Says:
    October 25th, 2011 at 12:30 pm

I just made these and they’re absolutely divine!! I ended up making almost a dozen from the dough, though, and they still took about 17 minutes to bake. They’re the perfect size to have with a dab of butter and a bowl of soup. Thanks!!

30. 30 Madeline Says:
    January 16th, 2012 at 9:27 pm

I just added this to my recipe binder. Brilliant!