Hearty Split Pea Soup

Split Pea Soup - 5

About a month ago, I was telling a friend about my food-related to-do list when we got on the subject of split pea soup, something that had been on my list for a while. She began extolling the virtues of this soup and how she had just tried a new recipe, so I decided that I finally had to give it a try. To my disappointment, as I scoured the shelves at Wegmans later, I found that their split peas are processed with peanuts and tree nuts (as well as milk, soy, and wheat) – which I don’t understand, because they should simply be peas and only peas. I relayed my disappointment on Twitter, where I was surprised that someone from Wegmans actually responded to me, assuring me that their split peas are just split peas except for the chance of cross contamination. I assured them that the allergen warning is exactly what makes them not just split peas, otherwise I’d be able to eat them and there would be no problem. All that said, they were at least able to point me in the direction of a company more conscious of allergens: Goya (I say more conscious because Goya’s split peas still contain soy and wheat. I’m still looking for some that are allergen-free). Despite the split pea fiasco though, this soup was incredibly easy – a few minutes to prep all of the ingredients, and then into the pot they go. It’s a new favorite of mine, especially now that cooler weather is here, and you can easily leave out the meat if you want to make this a vegetarian dish. Enjoy!

Cube the potatoes or butternut squash, and then slice up the onion, carrots, and celery. Wash and drain the split peas.

Split Pea Soup - 1

In a Dutch oven, combine all of the ingredients.

Split Pea Soup - 2

Split Pea Soup - 3

Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and cover. Let simmer for about an hour or until the peas and vegetables become tender.

Split Pea Soup - 4

If you prefer a smoother soup, purée the soup with an immersion blender or food processor until smooth. If you prefer a heartier soup, leave it as is. Serve warm and use or freeze the soup within five days. Makes about 3 quarts.

Posted by on September 26, 2011.

Tags:

Categories: dinner, lunch

1. This soup looks great, Tracy! I made split pea soup for the first time last winter and was really surprised by how much I liked it! I really like the addition of the butternut squash in yours… Have to try that next time!

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Sep 26, 2011 at 9:29 am

2. I’ve always wanted to try split pea soup… I’ve never had it! I recently made a white bean and bacon soup which had me on this roll of soup recipes. I think I need to make this… looks and sounds delish!

by Carrie @ Bakeaholic Mama on Sep 26, 2011 at 9:32 am

3. Oooh, a new soup to try! I love how easy this is, and I’ll put it on my list to make in the next week or so.

by Jenna on Sep 26, 2011 at 11:47 am

4. I understand the cost-effectiveness of processing different legumes on the same equipment, but it’s still so frustrating to know that a pea just can’t be a pea. Why do we have to Frankenfood everything?

by Casey@Good. Food. Stories. on Sep 26, 2011 at 11:54 am

5. Since I don’t eat any pork I always find it hard to make a flavorful split pea soup. It’s good, but not great. I like your addition of all those extra veggies!

by Amy @ A Little Nosh on Sep 26, 2011 at 11:56 am

6. I love Split Pea Soup thick and hearty. This looks amazing. I usually add some Cumin to mine but hey, I add cumin to everything. Looks delicious.

by Sonia Rumzi on Sep 26, 2011 at 12:40 pm

7. This looks great and much easier than I expected! I rediscovered a ham bone in my freezer recenlty that I remember saving for split pea soup–which I’ve never made. I think it seemed intimidating to me but your recipe looks quite easy, I may have to give it a go! (p.s. glad to have found you via the 12 Weeks of Christmas Cookies blog hop coming soon!)

by Brenda @ Meal Planning Magic on Sep 26, 2011 at 3:01 pm

8. I actually love split pea sup, but have never made it at home. So glad you were able to find peas that you could use. Yay for Wegman’s responding to you! This soup looks fantastic.

by Jamie | My Baking Addiction on Sep 26, 2011 at 3:58 pm

9. This looks delicious! I can’t wait for the weather to turn cold and give this a try.

by Therese on Sep 27, 2011 at 3:59 pm

10. love the addition of sweet potatoes…definitely need to try this, especially because we are overrun with sweet potatoes from this year’s garden. thanks!!

by Dmarie on Oct 4, 2011 at 2:49 pm

11. How frustrating about the split peas. But I’m so glad they responded to you!
    Split pea soup is my absolute favorite soup in the entire world. I love the addition of the sweet potatoes (or butternut squash). Thank you sooo much for this recipe, I can’t wait to make it. 🙂

by Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels on Oct 6, 2011 at 9:47 am

12. I made this tonight and could NOT stop eating it. Seriously. Three bowls. Can’t wait for the leftovers at lunch tomorrow.

by Debbie on Nov 2, 2011 at 9:59 pm