Pumpkin Monkey Bread

Pumpkin Monkey Bread - 9

Monkey bread. It’s almost as much fun to say as it is to eat, and with the arrival of autumn, I couldn’t stop thinking about taking my usual recipe and kicking it up a notch with the addition of pumpkin – so, of course, I did. Making monkey bread has always brought with it feelings of nostalgia for me, which makes it one of my favorite sweets to share with family and friends. In fact, the day after I made it, I invited a good friend over so that I could share it with her, along with some apple cider – a lovely way to spend an autumn afternoon, if you ask me! Even though it takes some time to make, most of it is hands-off time – like any yeasted bread, you can leave the dough to rise and go off and do other things while you wait. Make this over the weekend and serve it for breakfast (or brinner, I won’t tell), and share it with a friend!

For the dough:

• 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 3/4 stick butter, melted

For the glaze:

• 2/3 cup powdered sugar
  • 2 Tbsp pure maple syrup
  • 1-2 tsp milk

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, and spices.

Pumpkin Monkey Bread - 1

In another large bowl, whisk together the milk, water, pumpkin, melted butter, sugar, and yeast.

Pumpkin Monkey Bread - 2

Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add in the wet ingredients. Using a wooden spoon, gently stir until the dough comes together. Turn out on to a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Spray a clean bowl with cooking spray and place the dough inside.

Pumpkin Monkey Bread - 3

Cover and let rise until doubled in size, about an hour.

Pumpkin Monkey Bread - 4

In the meantime, mix together the cinnamon and sugar, and melt the butter for the coating. Spray a bundt pan with cooking spray. Once the dough has risen, shape the ball into a large rectangle. Using a sharp knife, cut the dough into roughly equal-sized pieces and roll each piece into a ball (I had about 40 pieces, but you may have more or less).

Pumpkin Monkey Bread - 5

Dip each ball of dough into the melted butter and then the cinnamon-sugar mixture, layering them in the bundt pan as you go.

Pumpkin Monkey Bread - 6

Once you’ve used all the dough, cover the bundt pan and let the dough rise again for another hour.

Pumpkin Monkey Bread - 7

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake the bread until golden brown, 30-35 minutes. Let cool for 5-10 minutes before turning out on to a platter. To make the glaze, stir together the powdered sugar, maple syrup, and milk. Pour over the bread while it’s still warm.

Pumpkin Monkey Bread - 8

142 Responses to “Pumpkin Monkey Bread”

1. 1 Carol Stevens Says:
    September 23rd, 2011 at 8:49 am

Oh my. These are on my ‘must bake’ list!! Can’t wait to try them :)

2. 2 Natalie @ Cooking for My Kids Says:
    September 23rd, 2011 at 8:50 am

This looks amazing. I just now pinned it on my Fall board, and I cannot wait to try it!

3. 3 Angela @ The Dancer Bakes Says:
    September 23rd, 2011 at 9:02 am

This looks so incredible! I think it’s been too long since I’ve baked with yeast, and I’ve never baked with pumpkin…I may have to give this a shot. Like, today. Great recipe, Tracy!

4. 4 Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. Says:
    September 23rd, 2011 at 9:05 am

oh wow! What a great idea!

5. 5 Lindsay @Eat, Knit, Grow Says:
    September 23rd, 2011 at 9:07 am

Yum! That looks amazing!

6. 6 Beth @ 990 Square Says:
    September 23rd, 2011 at 9:07 am

I LOVE this! I think you may be the only person I know who is going through more pumpkin than I am at this point!

7. 7 shelly (cookies and cups) Says:
    September 23rd, 2011 at 9:07 am

Love this! My family loves monkey bread..I can only imagine how good this smells when it is baking!

8. 8 Jen from How To: Simplify Says:
    September 23rd, 2011 at 9:09 am

I love this idea, Tracy! I love monkey bread so I can’t wait to try this recipe! Happy Fall!

9. 9 Stephanie Smith Says:
    September 23rd, 2011 at 9:10 am

YUM! I love this time of year! I have been craving pumpkin. This is a must try for me! Cream cheese glaze would be good too!

10. 10 Barbara @ Barbara Bakes Says:
    September 23rd, 2011 at 9:17 am

Perfect for fall! I love monkey bread.

11. 11 Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies Says:
    September 23rd, 2011 at 9:33 am

You are killing me with all your Autumn brilliance right now. We *adore* monkey bread in this house.

12. 12 Jeff Says:
    September 23rd, 2011 at 9:34 am

This looks great, but when do you add the pumpkin puree? I don’t see it mentioned in the directions.

13. 13 Melanie Says:
    September 23rd, 2011 at 9:34 am

Can’t wait to make!

14. 14 Jenna Says:
    September 23rd, 2011 at 11:22 am

Mmmm! Monkey bread is another one of those things I love to eat but have never made. It looks like a great treat to make for our Bible study (we’re going to be hosting it every other week starting next week, so I’ll be making more sweet treats than usual!).

15. 15 Deborah Says:
    September 23rd, 2011 at 11:22 am

What a great change on traditional monkey bread. Love it!!

16. 16 Kim of Mo'Betta Says:
    September 23rd, 2011 at 1:29 pm

Pinning this…will be making ASAP! Thanks for posting!

17. 17 Jeff Says:
    September 23rd, 2011 at 1:35 pm

…thank you for adding pumpkin to the instructions! ?

18. 18 Tracy Says:
    September 23rd, 2011 at 1:36 pm

Jeff – You’re welcome. :-) Sorry I didn’t get a chance to comment earlier and say thank you for pointing that out! I appreciate it!

19. 19 Jeff Says:
    September 23rd, 2011 at 1:54 pm

I am so happy to have discovered your website, the photographs alone are worth the visit! I can’t wait to try this recipe and many more! Thanks for sharing!

20. 20 Susan Says:
    September 23rd, 2011 at 1:58 pm

I can almost smell the aroma of this most appealing spice bread.

Thanks for all of your “Fall” recipes.

21. 21 kacey @ om&nom Says:
    September 23rd, 2011 at 2:30 pm

what a wonderful spin on an old favorite! i always feel guilty making monkey bread, but i think this recipe gives me just the excuse i need!

22. 22 Heather I. Says:
    September 23rd, 2011 at 2:41 pm

I’m so happy to see a monkey bread recipe made from scratch. Bring on the pumpkin!!

23. 23 Jen Ward Says:
    September 23rd, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Made these today. The maple icing is suuuuper perfect with this recipe. They don’t taste terribly pumpkin-y but they are quite good. Made them in the kitchen aid mixer and they came out kind of tough. I would recommend reducing the kneading time if you use a mixer.

24. 24 Erin Says:
    September 23rd, 2011 at 5:28 pm

Oooo lovely! And that pumpkin plate is great! My dad has a pumpkin pie cover very similar to that.

25. 25 Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen Says:
    September 23rd, 2011 at 5:55 pm

This looks insanely good. I always do the shortcut monkey bread with biscuits from a tube, but this has gotta be waaaay better :)

26. 26 Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction Says:
    September 23rd, 2011 at 10:27 pm

I’ve never really made monkey bread, but this pumpkin version is definitely tempting me. It looks so good! Love the way it looks on that cute pumpkin plate. :)

27. 27 Katrina Says:
    September 24th, 2011 at 7:36 am

Loooove this!

28. 28 Sonia Rumzi Says:
    September 24th, 2011 at 2:39 pm

I think we will try this.

29. 29 Baking Serendipity Says:
    September 24th, 2011 at 3:29 pm

I love monkey bread and the addition of pumpkin is perfect! What an amazing fall breakfast :)

30. 30 Tessa Says:
    September 24th, 2011 at 9:06 pm

I haven’t ventured out looking for pumpkin yet, but this looks so good. Love monkey bread!

31. 31 Sara Says:
    September 24th, 2011 at 10:11 pm

Awesome! I can’t wait to try this! I hope my grocery store has canned pumpkin.

32. 32 Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) Says:
    September 24th, 2011 at 10:31 pm

Oh my gosh, this looks irresistible!! And that last photo is so cute, love the plate!

33. 33 Valerie Says:
    September 25th, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Looks delicious!! I love your pumpkin plate hehe

34. 34 Jamie | My Baking Addiction Says:
    September 25th, 2011 at 7:05 pm

Monkey Bread totally takes me back to 7th Grade Home Ec. Your version looks way better though! Love the addition of the pumpkin.

35. 35 Liz Rocher Says:
    September 25th, 2011 at 7:36 pm

WOW! Great recipe, I have just made it and it turned out fantastic and yummylicious. Very soft and full od flavor. Thanks

36. 36 Lindsey Says:
    September 25th, 2011 at 9:31 pm

I absolutely love fall recipes! Thanks for posting! I am so glad I stumbled on this!

37. 37 Kim Says:
    September 26th, 2011 at 1:02 pm

I love monkey bread, but i’ve never even thought of pumpkin monkey bread! this is just too perfect. i have to bake this immediately.

38. 38 Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen Says:
    September 26th, 2011 at 5:02 pm

Oh that looks so good! I just love pulling the little chunks of monkey bread.

39. 39 mis-cakes Says:
    September 26th, 2011 at 6:44 pm

oh my word!!! this looks fabulous. i literally just said that i needed to make moneybread and poof there yours came up.

40. 40 Kim Says:
    September 26th, 2011 at 7:28 pm

Oh my goodness these look delish, on my bake list for this weekend!

41. 41 Melissa Says:
    September 27th, 2011 at 2:34 pm

Is there a way to make this dough in a bread machine? would love to try it!

42. 42 Tracy Says:
    September 27th, 2011 at 3:27 pm

Melissa – To be perfectly honest, I’ve never used a bread machine before, so I have no idea! Perhaps another reader can chime in, or if you try it yourself, let me know how it goes!

43. 43 Shawna Says:
    September 27th, 2011 at 3:44 pm

This looks amazing. Pumpkin is pretty much worshipped at my house. Do you have any recommendation on another pan to use instead of a bundt? I don’t happen to own one. I would think it should be fine in a loaf pan or something, but I thought I’d ask just in case. Thank you for sharing!

44. 44 Tracy Says:
    September 27th, 2011 at 3:48 pm

Shawna – You can absolutely layer the bread in a loaf pan, or even a square baking dish. Happy baking!

45. 45 Deniece Huffman Says:
    September 27th, 2011 at 10:42 pm

I was at costco today, and I found canned pumpkin there! I was so excited I bought 2 packs, which has 3 cans each! Glad I just found another recipe to use, sounds so yummy….Love making pumpkin flavored things this time of year, or all year really : )

46. 46 bridget {bake at 350} Says:
    September 28th, 2011 at 11:19 am

Tracy…I love you. ;)

47. 47 Amanda (onceuponarecipe) Says:
    September 28th, 2011 at 2:20 pm

I’m not even sure how I came across your blog, but I’m so glad that I did! This pumpkin monkey bread looks wonderful, cute, and delicious, and I’m definitely going to try it!

48. 48 jennifer Says:
    September 28th, 2011 at 3:39 pm

This looks sooooo good, just like all the other comments. Great for the holidays!

49. 49 ChefDad Says:
    September 28th, 2011 at 10:09 pm

Wow, this looks great. I love pumpkin bread and monkey bread…nicely done.

50. 50 Robin Says:
    September 29th, 2011 at 1:47 pm

This looks so yummy and I can’t wait to make this. But a question… I want to make this for a morning bible study I go to. I have to be there by 8:45 in the morning. Can you make the dough the night before? If so, how would I store it? I’d prefer not to get up at 6:00 and start baking right away. Gotta have my coffee first!

51. 51 Tracy Says:
    September 29th, 2011 at 3:34 pm

Robin – I haven’t tried it myself, but what I would do is make the dough the night before (both rises) and then cover it and refrigerate. Then, bring it to room temperature the next morning morning (probably 30-45 minutes) before baking. Let me know if you try it!

52. 52 Angela @ farragio Says:
    September 29th, 2011 at 4:47 pm

What a clever combination! It looks delicious. Can’t wait to try it.

53. 53 Rob Says:
    September 29th, 2011 at 6:26 pm

I’ve never used yeast before, do you need to “activate” it or do you just dump it in with the rest of the ingredients?

54. 54 Tracy Says:
    September 29th, 2011 at 7:15 pm

Rob – Just mix it right in with the milk, water, pumpkin, melted butter, and sugar in the second step of the directions. Hope that helps!

55. 55 Kristin Says:
    September 30th, 2011 at 4:24 pm

Any thoughts about whether the dough would freeze well before or after baking, if I wanted to make extra for another time?

56. 56 Tracy Says:
    September 30th, 2011 at 6:38 pm

Kristin – I would freeze the monkey bread the same way I freeze cinnamon rolls – after baking and without glaze. Then, just thaw it out and warm it up in the oven until heated through, and pour on the glaze!

57. 57 avril Says:
    September 30th, 2011 at 9:44 pm

Serious yummy genius you’ve got here! Can NOT wait to make this recipe myself. I just LOVE that pumpkin plate too :-)

58. 58 Deniece Huffman Says:
    September 30th, 2011 at 10:35 pm

can I make the dough tonight and bake it in the morning? will it still be good? anyone?

59. 59 Sherry G Says:
    October 1st, 2011 at 10:28 pm

I ‘m making this tonight! I’m so excited. I’ve always wanted to make monkey bread pumpkin flavored!

60. 60 Carol Says:
    October 2nd, 2011 at 5:58 pm

Oh my goodness.. This looks so delicious. I love pumpkin, and I love monkey bread. I definitely need to try this one!

61. 61 Becki sue Says:
    October 2nd, 2011 at 6:21 pm

I made this today. It had a wonderful flavor and everyone enjoyed it. I wished that the bread was more tender. I found it to be a tough dough. I also had a heck of a time with the glaze. On my second attempt to create a drizzleable glaze, I finally added some milk and zapped it in the microwave for a few seconds.

62. 62 Geneva Says:
    October 2nd, 2011 at 7:13 pm

I just made it, and it is super delicious! Thanks for sharing, and my kids thank you too. :-)

63. 63 Rhonda Says:
    October 2nd, 2011 at 7:27 pm

Looks so good! Cant wait to try it out with my young nieces this weekend. They are going to love it. Thanks for sharing.

64. 64 Vanderbilt Wife Says:
    October 2nd, 2011 at 8:58 pm

Love it on the cute pumpkin plate. Looks so yummy!

65. 65 DessertForTwo Says:
    October 3rd, 2011 at 12:42 am

You are the pumpkin queen with this recipe! :)

66. 66 Shannon Says:
    October 3rd, 2011 at 4:25 pm

I made this recipe today and it was really simple but it takes a really long time to make because you have the let the dough rise for 2 hours in total! Make sure you give yourself enough time to bake this! I would say 2 1/2 to 3 hours because of the wait time! Great recipe though .. tasted really good! Thanks!

67. 67 Tracy Says:
    October 3rd, 2011 at 5:53 pm

Becki sue – If the bread was tough, it may need a little more rise time. I’d also suggest setting the dough in a warm place as it rises, such as the top of a preheating oven, to help it along. Hope that helps!

68. 68 SHeri Says:
    October 3rd, 2011 at 9:30 pm

OMG I have a REAL Fall sweet tooth and this sounds so so good!

69. 69 veecreate Says:
    October 3rd, 2011 at 10:46 pm

Great post!! It looks delicious i will try this!!!!!!

70. 70 Mark K Says:
    October 4th, 2011 at 4:02 pm

Wow, this looks mouth watering. Will have to give it a go.

71. 71 Monica Says:
    October 5th, 2011 at 10:52 am

I think I love you.

72. 72 Geri Says:
    October 5th, 2011 at 5:34 pm

Looks fantastic! I have never heard of monkey bread before (I wonder how it got its name?) – I’m definitely going to give it a go now pumpkins have arrived in the shops. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

73. 73 Hannah Jordan Says:
    October 5th, 2011 at 7:08 pm

I just made this today and it’s AWESOME. The pumpkin flavor isn’t too strong, but I kind of like it that way…it’s super versatile, and it’s so different than a pumpkin pie that I could make both for Thanksgiving. I added a little vanilla and water to the glaze because I was worried about the bread tasting like a pancake, and it turned out great. I would definitely make this again

74. 74 Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels Says:
    October 6th, 2011 at 9:45 am

Oh my goodness this is pure genius and not to mention incredibly delicious looking. I think I’d want to sit in the corner and eat the whole entire thing!! :)

75. 75 Beverooni Says:
    October 6th, 2011 at 10:57 am

I made pumpkin pancakes this morning and have leftover puree. Now I know what to do with it. These look amazing. Thanks for the recipe.

76. 76 Bonnie2chefs Says:
    October 6th, 2011 at 3:49 pm

I added a small clump of cream cheese to the center of each one of the balls of dough. sell my clothes I’ve died & gone to heaven. I follow the rest of the recipe as directed.

77. 77 Sarah Says:
    October 6th, 2011 at 4:38 pm

Just made this! Yummy! Dough was a little sticky for kneading but went ahead anyway and turned out great. Perhaps because I live in high elevation? But like I said turned out really good and moist.

78. 78 Janice Says:
    October 7th, 2011 at 11:28 pm

Awesome recipe!!!!! The only problem I had was with the glaze. I could not “pour” it on as it just was one big clump. Is there an ingredient missing? A bit of water, maybe?

Thanks!!

79. 79 Christina Says:
    October 8th, 2011 at 12:41 am

I made this. This is AMAZING. I will definitely make it again.

80. 80 Tracy Says:
    October 9th, 2011 at 2:18 pm

Janice – If the glaze hasn’t reached the desired consistency, simply add a bit more maple syrup. Hope that helps!

81. 81 Linda M Says:
    October 9th, 2011 at 9:07 pm

This looks tasty and I will try it. One trick that saves time. I roll out the dough into a square. Using a pizza cutter, I slice it in both directions making little “monkeys” or what have you. From there I dip in butter, sugar stuff, etc. They are not round, but mostly round our in raising. It saves oodles of time. I usually make my sweet dough the night before and put it promplty in the fridge, even before raising. It raises slowly in the cool fridge, in a plastic bag. Then the next morning, take it out, shape it and let it rise. The warmth from your hands and the melted butter both work to wake it up. You can also freeze just after forming, before the last raise, just wrap it well. Then set your alarm early to get it out of cold storage and let it warm up while you go back to bed. Too long? Sorry. Enjoyed the site.

82. 82 Tracy Says:
    October 10th, 2011 at 11:26 am

Thanks for the tips, Linda!

83. 83 Rebecca Says:
    October 11th, 2011 at 5:53 am

I have now made this delicious bread for the second time upon the request of many including my tummy. I can’t believe how easy this is and how delicious it is. I used my kitchen aid mixer to knead the dough for 10 minutes so I was able to finish all the dishes while it was kneading away. Everyone begged for more pumpkin monkey bread at work and at home. Thank you so much for this perfect recipe!

84. 84 Taylor Says:
    October 11th, 2011 at 3:01 pm

Hello! What an amazing version of Monkey Bread, I cannot wait to make it! However, I only have instant yeast and would like to use it for this recipe. What changes would I have to make to use the instant yeast instead of regular yeast? Thank you!

85. 85 Haley Says:
    October 11th, 2011 at 4:20 pm

I am trying this out… I’ve never baked anything before though.. I hope it works! I would love to bring it to my family’s Thanksgiving dinner!

86. 86 Samantha Says:
    October 16th, 2011 at 11:31 pm

thanks so much for this delicious recipe! i just got finished with mine and the whole house smells yummy!

87. 87 Shirley from Funchkins Says:
    October 18th, 2011 at 7:25 am

Oh my, this looks so good. What can i substitute for the pumpkin puree? Is the puree tinned?

88. 88 Camiluwho Says:
    October 20th, 2011 at 12:48 am

Saw this while I was out and it looked so good I called home and read the recipe to my 13 year old son and he made it for our dessert! I made a cream cheese glaze to go over the top. It was scrumptious. Thanks for posting this.

89. 89 Rachel @ Bakerita Says:
    October 20th, 2011 at 2:14 am

Yum!
    I love pumpkin and I LOVE monkey bread. Can’t believe I’ve never thought to combine the two. Can’t wait to make this!

90. 90 danellesdish Says:
    October 20th, 2011 at 5:18 pm

I tried this recipe last week and they were wonderful! Can’t wait to make them again.

91. 91 Ryan Mk Says:
    October 23rd, 2011 at 11:06 pm

Cool, i will try

92. 92 erin Says:
    October 24th, 2011 at 8:56 pm

SO yummy! SO easy! AND it made my house smell SO good!!! Thanks!

93. 93 Aaria Says:
    October 27th, 2011 at 8:48 am

Pumpkin is not my fav…. but this bread is looking yummy.. thanks for sharing.

94. 94 Becca Says:
    October 30th, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Deeelish! Making this for the third time. Am in love!

95. 95 Corinne Says:
    November 4th, 2011 at 10:25 pm

This looks AMAZING! I cannot wait to give it a go. I only came across the concept of monkey bread about a week ago but it was a garlic one and I wasn’t sure I’d like it. This sweet version looks just right :)

96. 96 Angela Says:
    November 5th, 2011 at 12:49 pm

So good! I’m making it now and already the house smells like fall!

97. 97 Kunal Says:
    November 6th, 2011 at 4:30 pm

ohhh thank god, i though there was real chopped up monkey in there!! lol

98. 98 Ronit Says:
    November 10th, 2011 at 8:21 am

I just made this today.
    Since I don’t have a bundt pan I made it into muffins, 3 balls to a muffin totaling 18 servings. Also, to keep the calories down, I left off the glaze.
    It was light and delicious. I’m so glad I Stumble!ed here.

99. 99 Jessica @ChefHazard.com Says:
    November 14th, 2011 at 12:53 am

These look great. I like the idea of the previous poster who made them in individual muffin tins. I am the kind of person that would eat the whole thing if it wasn’t portioned out :)

100. 100 Brandon @ The Yummy Bits Says:
    November 14th, 2011 at 9:44 pm

I saw another blog that made Pizza Monkey Bread with pepperoni, but it looked like a lot of work! This looks a lot easier, I might try it! Great post!

-Brandon
    @theyummybits

101. 101 Rishana Says:
    November 15th, 2011 at 4:57 pm

This looks sooooo good! I’m not a fan of pumpkin tho. Do you think it will still work well if did banana puree?

102. 102 Alyssa Says:
    November 16th, 2011 at 4:15 pm

I made this last week as a test run for Thanksgiving and it was so good! I have a question though. Is it possibly instead of letting the dough rise for one hour (the first time) to let it rise for 2 or 3 hours? Or will that make the dough too hard? I have NO experience baking. I ask because I am stopping at a house for an hour before I go to my grandparents where I will be baking the bread. Thanks!

103. 103 Willa@ArmstrongFamilyFare Says:
    November 18th, 2011 at 2:15 pm

This looks really really good! I’m going to save this recipe for future use! ;) Thanks for sharing!
    Willa

104. 104 Karen Says:
    November 22nd, 2011 at 4:29 pm

I made this twice! First time was amazing, roughly a 3 hour process. Delicious! Second time, i prepared the entire thing and left it in the fridge to just take out and bake the next morning. Left it outside of the fridge for about an hour to try to get it to room temperature, then baked it. It didnt turn out so well. :( It didnt clump together so I ended up scattering them onto a tray, drizzled the glaze over and called it Pumpkin Monkey Balls. ha ha. But yeah, definitely make it all in one day.

105. 105 Chelsi Says:
    November 23rd, 2011 at 3:25 pm

I’m currently in the middle of making this and my dough was sooo incredibly sticky.. nearly impossible to knead at all. Added more flour and it still was sticky.. so I just worked with what I had and put into a bowl for rising. It’s taking a while. I sure hope it rises and I don’t have bad yeast!

106. 106 Amber Says:
    November 23rd, 2011 at 11:39 pm

This is such a great recipe! I just finished baking it and it looks beautiful! I cannot wait to eat it.

One problem though, for the glaze, the amount you put for the powdered sugar and the syrup came out too thick and very hard to stir, so I added water, and it stirred and poured out nicely for the finishing touch.

Thanks!

107. 107 Tracy Says:
    November 24th, 2011 at 9:57 am

Amber – It looks like I have the quantities wrong on the glaze; I’ve updated the recipe accordingly. Hope you enjoy the bread!

108. 108 Lauren P. Says:
    November 24th, 2011 at 12:32 pm

Oh my gosh, it is delicious. Made it into the wee hours this morning, skipped the glaze, used half brown sugar and more spice in the coating. Its golden brown and my family is lovin’ it… Brownie points from pumpkin bread. Go figure!

109. 109 Jasmine Says:
    November 24th, 2011 at 2:31 pm

I made this today for thanksgiving breakfast. It turned out great and everybody loved it. I made a little different glaze but it was wonderful. Thanks so much for the recipe! Also great pictures.

110. 110 BONNIE JOHNSON Says:
    November 27th, 2011 at 4:02 am

ALYSSIA; HARD TO LEAVE DOUGH TO RISE TOO LONG. JUST GETS MORE & MORE FULL OF AIR–MAKES IT LIGHTER.
    ANYONE WORRIED ABOUT YEAST? TAKE SOME WARM WATER, ADD A BIT OF SUGAR, SPRINKLE ON YEAST & WATCH IT BUBBLE & FOAM! NO ACTION-THROW IT OUT!
    YEAST DOUGHS ARE SUCH FUN & HARD TO RUIN; NOT AS SCARY AS SOME MAY THINK. GOOD YEAST & A WARM PLACE TO RISE, PROTECTED FROM COOL DRAFTS.
    A BREAD MAKER SHOULD WORK FINE IF THE INGEDIENTS ARE ADJUSTED PROPERLY! AN OLD PRO AT BREAD. ( :

111. 111 Sook Says:
    November 30th, 2011 at 4:56 pm

I am so going to make this!!

112. 112 austin Says:
    December 7th, 2011 at 7:09 pm

Made this today and it turned out awesome! The office gobbled it up in about 5 minutes! I did substitute the glaze for a cream cheese glaze to give it more of that fall/carrot cake feel.

Great cream cheese glaze recipe here:

113. 113 Eric @ Eatwell101 Says:
    December 18th, 2011 at 4:34 pm

Looks great! I like the idea of smaller dough balls to form the whole bread, that’s very unique :)

114. 114 becca Says:
    December 19th, 2011 at 10:16 pm

just made this and it is sooo yummy. going to make it christmas morning for the family.

115. 115 Chelsea Says:
    December 21st, 2011 at 7:22 pm

I am going to make this tomorrow morning for a potluck at work. It looks so good might make two.

116. 116 latoya Says:
    January 13th, 2012 at 9:44 pm

recipe looks absolutely wonderful, cant wait to try it

117. 117 allyson Says:
    May 16th, 2012 at 6:42 pm

This is AMAZING! It was so delicious. i made it twice over Christmas break when I was home from college. It didn’t last long in my house. Everyone in my family loved it!

118. 118 Ckay Says:
    July 29th, 2012 at 5:59 pm

Here in Switzerland it is unknown and I had such a great fun making it.
    Thank you for sharing the recipe with a beautiful tutorial.
    Visit me if you wish, I’m blogging about it right now (to make sure that the recipe get spread all over Europe, too!)

119. 119 Angela Says:
    September 9th, 2012 at 1:20 am

I’ve made this 3 times now, and each time it tastes even better! Thank you so much for the great recipe and tutorial. I’m sure everyone at work will love this tomorrow when I bring it in. :)

120. 120 Kayla Says:
    September 9th, 2012 at 6:11 pm

You know, the whole idea of traditional monkey bread initially was to use quick and easy ingredients. I love yeast dough as much as the next baker, but monkey bread is so good with the Rhodes frozen dough or canned biscuit dough why would you use such a time consuming, involved recipe when you can use the easy, yummy ones and spend the time with your family? These days, most of us are looking for easy time-savers.

121. 121 Tracy Says:
    September 9th, 2012 at 8:19 pm

Kayla – You can certainly use canned dough if you’d like to. I use homemade dough because I like to be careful about the preservatives and allergens I put in mine and my family member’s bodies, and because I find baking from scratch to be incredibly cathartic. In fact, most of the recipes on my blog are geared toward from-scratch baking and cooking. But, I realize that’s not for everyone, and I hope you’ll still try the recipe with canned dough if you find that easier. Happy baking!

122. 122 brittany Says:
    September 24th, 2012 at 4:34 pm

I just made this, it came out deliciously! Thanks for posting the recipe.

123. 123 missyblurkit Says:
    October 3rd, 2012 at 11:02 am

This is a gorgeous and yummy recipe. Can’t wait to try it for this weekend’s baking session. I’ll probably like to add some seeds or nuts for a lil more bite:D

124. 124 Patricia (@PatriciaStreete) Says:
    October 10th, 2012 at 11:10 am

Wow that looks amazing! Yum! I have to save this recipe. :D

125. 125 Amanda Says:
    October 14th, 2012 at 2:23 pm

I made this today and instead of the glaze I rubbed the sides and bottom of the pan with margarine mixed with brown suagr ( just like you would with cinnamon buns). Its a great recipe! Thanks for sharing

126. 126 Sarah Jackson Says:
    October 15th, 2012 at 12:03 pm

it is the most yummy and delicious recipe ever for me, and i will try this soon

127. 127 Mandi Says:
    October 21st, 2012 at 6:45 pm

For those commenters asking if you could make the dough the night before, I’ll tell you how it turned out for me.
    I made the dough completely (both rises) and after the second rise, I put it in the fridge overnight. In the morning, I put directly in the oven. I did not adjust the cooking time. Turned out great!!
    I followed recipe exactly and my dough was very dry (opposite of sticky) and difficult to knead. But it was delicious, light, and wonderful after cooking!
    Final thought: I think the consistency of the dough depends on the pumpkin purée you use. I used a very dry purée but some may use the more runny kind. Also, you couldn’t tell that the monkey bread was pumpkin. It was delicious though!
    Thanks for recipe!

128. 128 Tracy Says:
    October 21st, 2012 at 7:22 pm

Mandi – I’m sorry that it didn’t taste very pumpkin-y to you! You can always experiment by adding a little more pumpkin (and reducing the flour accordingly to balance out the extra moisture in the dough), or adding extra spices to bring out the flavor of the pumpkin more. Hope that helps!

129. 129 Meghan Says:
    October 25th, 2012 at 11:15 am

I definitely have to try this. Looks easy enough and delicious!

130. 130 carissa Says:
    October 28th, 2012 at 4:01 pm

are the cloves ground?

and i think people are messing up the glaze because in the directions you left out to add the 1-2 tsp of milk.

131. 131 Tracy Says:
    October 29th, 2012 at 11:55 am

Carissa – Yes, the cloves are ground. And, thank you, I definitely did leave that out of the directions! I just went and updated them. Thanks again!

132. 132 Duet Masaki Says:
    November 11th, 2012 at 1:46 am

So I wanted to make this with soy instead of milk because my friends kid is allergic to milk. Totally worked, and was amazing. Its hard to taste the pumpkin in it. Does anyone know if I increase the amount of pumpkin would it mess up the dough?

133. 133 Samantha Says:
    November 21st, 2012 at 2:55 pm

Can I leave the dough after it’s been put in the the bundt pan over night?

134. 134 laura Says:
    November 22nd, 2012 at 10:56 pm

I’m making this tomorrow! Perfect for the day after thanksgiving!

135. 135 Tracy Says:
    November 24th, 2012 at 3:30 pm

Samantha – I would probably put the dough in the refrigerator if I was going to leave it overnight.

136. 136 ATasteOfMadness Says:
    April 28th, 2013 at 5:57 pm

Aaaannd.. This is why I need a bundt pan. This looks fantastic!!

137. 137 Marisol Says:
    April 29th, 2013 at 8:04 pm

Hi Tracy,
    Thanks so much for posting this! It looks delicious!! I have a few questions:
    1. Do you think it would be okay to use whole wheat pastry flour instead of all purpose flour?
    2. Do you think it would be okay to use almond milk instead of cow milk?
    3. I don’t like maple sugar so plan to exclude the glaze. But that leaves relatively little sugar in the recipe. Do you think I could make up for the sweetness in the absent glaze by increasing the amount of sugar in the dough itself? If so, do you have a guess about how much extra sugar I should include? Thanks so much for your help!
    With Warm and Spicy Regards, Marisol

138. 138 Tracy Says:
    April 30th, 2013 at 10:07 am

Hi Marisol – I’ll try to answer all of your questions below:

1. I think that using all whole wheat flour would make this bread very dense, so I’d suggest using a combination of whole wheat and all-purpose flour.
    2. I haven’t tried the recipe with different types of milk, but I don’t see why you couldn’t give it a shot.
    3. I’d increase the sugar in the dough from 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup.

Hope that helps, and good luck!

139. 139 ClearWeave Says:
    September 29th, 2013 at 11:10 pm

Thank you so much for your recipe, Tracy! I ended up using white whole wheat flour (since that was what I had), and I would definitely suggest mixing with all purpose or pastry flour, as my result was more dense than I was hoping for. The flavor is great though– I will definitely try this again!

140. 140 Mary Says:
    October 22nd, 2013 at 7:25 pm

This is such a great idea. I can’t wait to give it a try!

141. 141 India Says:
    November 28th, 2013 at 3:12 am

Hm, over all the recipe is awesome and tastes great but mine had a bit of a failure. =/ I was making this for Thanksgiving and it really messed up. I followed every step to a T with precise measurements because I didn’t want to mess up. Everything was good until i went to get it from the oven. I let it sit about 10 min (like the instructions says) before trying to turn it out onto a dish… it wouldn’t come out… Like I even knocked the budnt pan around with the hammer and it still wouldn’t come out! I also had coated the pan in Pam and this happened… I ended up having to let it cool fully and using a butter knife to get it out which it came out in little balls slowly but surely so i ended up with something like pumpkin cake drops coated in glaze. Lol, as I said, it tastes fantastic but it just would not come out of the pan!!! =/ I can’t think of where I had went wrong…

142. 142 Hilary Says:
    September 7th, 2014 at 10:35 pm

This looks awesome. I actually have monkey bread on my meal planning for next weekend. I think I will have to try your variation. Thanks