Pumpkin Monkey Bread

Pumpkin Monkey Bread - 9

Monkey bread. It’s almost as much fun to say as it is to eat, and with the arrival of autumn, I couldn’t stop thinking about taking my usual recipe and kicking it up a notch with the addition of pumpkin – so, of course, I did. Making monkey bread has always brought with it feelings of nostalgia for me, which makes it one of my favorite sweets to share with family and friends. In fact, the day after I made it, I invited a good friend over so that I could share it with her, along with some apple cider – a lovely way to spend an autumn afternoon, if you ask me! Even though it takes some time to make, most of it is hands-off time – like any yeasted bread, you can leave the dough to rise and go off and do other things while you wait. Make this over the weekend and serve it for breakfast (or brinner, I won’t tell), and share it with a friend!

For the dough:

For the coating:

For the glaze:

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, and spices.

Pumpkin Monkey Bread - 1

In another large bowl, whisk together the milk, water, pumpkin, melted butter, sugar, and yeast.

Pumpkin Monkey Bread - 2

Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add in the wet ingredients. Using a wooden spoon, gently stir until the dough comes together. Turn out on to a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Spray a clean bowl with cooking spray and place the dough inside.

Pumpkin Monkey Bread - 3

Cover and let rise until doubled in size, about an hour.

Pumpkin Monkey Bread - 4

In the meantime, mix together the cinnamon and sugar, and melt the butter for the coating. Spray a bundt pan with cooking spray. Once the dough has risen, shape the ball into a large rectangle. Using a sharp knife, cut the dough into roughly equal-sized pieces and roll each piece into a ball (I had about 40 pieces, but you may have more or less).

Pumpkin Monkey Bread - 5

Dip each ball of dough into the melted butter and then the cinnamon-sugar mixture, layering them in the bundt pan as you go.

Pumpkin Monkey Bread - 6

Once you’ve used all the dough, cover the bundt pan and let the dough rise again for another hour.

Pumpkin Monkey Bread - 7

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake the bread until golden brown, 30-35 minutes. Let cool for 5-10 minutes before turning out on to a platter. To make the glaze, stir together the powdered sugar, maple syrup, and milk. Pour over the bread while it’s still warm.

Pumpkin Monkey Bread - 8

Posted by on September 23, 2011.

Categories: breads & pastries

1. This looks sooooo good! I’m not a fan of pumpkin tho. Do you think it will still work well if did banana puree?

by Rishana on Nov 15, 2011 at 4:57 pm

2. I made this last week as a test run for Thanksgiving and it was so good! I have a question though. Is it possibly instead of letting the dough rise for one hour (the first time) to let it rise for 2 or 3 hours? Or will that make the dough too hard? I have NO experience baking. I ask because I am stopping at a house for an hour before I go to my grandparents where I will be baking the bread. Thanks!

by Alyssa on Nov 16, 2011 at 4:15 pm

3. This looks really really good! I’m going to save this recipe for future use! 😉 Thanks for sharing!
    Willa

by Willa@ArmstrongFamilyFare on Nov 18, 2011 at 2:15 pm

4. I made this twice! First time was amazing, roughly a 3 hour process. Delicious! Second time, i prepared the entire thing and left it in the fridge to just take out and bake the next morning. Left it outside of the fridge for about an hour to try to get it to room temperature, then baked it. It didnt turn out so well. 🙁 It didnt clump together so I ended up scattering them onto a tray, drizzled the glaze over and called it Pumpkin Monkey Balls. ha ha. But yeah, definitely make it all in one day.

by Karen on Nov 22, 2011 at 4:29 pm

5. I’m currently in the middle of making this and my dough was sooo incredibly sticky.. nearly impossible to knead at all. Added more flour and it still was sticky.. so I just worked with what I had and put into a bowl for rising. It’s taking a while. I sure hope it rises and I don’t have bad yeast!

by Chelsi on Nov 23, 2011 at 3:25 pm

6. This is such a great recipe! I just finished baking it and it looks beautiful! I cannot wait to eat it.

One problem though, for the glaze, the amount you put for the powdered sugar and the syrup came out too thick and very hard to stir, so I added water, and it stirred and poured out nicely for the finishing touch.

Thanks!

by Amber on Nov 23, 2011 at 11:39 pm

7. Amber – It looks like I have the quantities wrong on the glaze; I’ve updated the recipe accordingly. Hope you enjoy the bread!

by Tracy on Nov 24, 2011 at 9:57 am

8. Oh my gosh, it is delicious. Made it into the wee hours this morning, skipped the glaze, used half brown sugar and more spice in the coating. Its golden brown and my family is lovin’ it… Brownie points from pumpkin bread. Go figure!

by Lauren P. on Nov 24, 2011 at 12:32 pm

9. I made this today for thanksgiving breakfast. It turned out great and everybody loved it. I made a little different glaze but it was wonderful. Thanks so much for the recipe! Also great pictures.

by Jasmine on Nov 24, 2011 at 2:31 pm

10. ALYSSIA; HARD TO LEAVE DOUGH TO RISE TOO LONG. JUST GETS MORE & MORE FULL OF AIR–MAKES IT LIGHTER.
    ANYONE WORRIED ABOUT YEAST? TAKE SOME WARM WATER, ADD A BIT OF SUGAR, SPRINKLE ON YEAST & WATCH IT BUBBLE & FOAM! NO ACTION-THROW IT OUT!
    YEAST DOUGHS ARE SUCH FUN & HARD TO RUIN; NOT AS SCARY AS SOME MAY THINK. GOOD YEAST & A WARM PLACE TO RISE, PROTECTED FROM COOL DRAFTS.
    A BREAD MAKER SHOULD WORK FINE IF THE INGEDIENTS ARE ADJUSTED PROPERLY! AN OLD PRO AT BREAD. ( :

by BONNIE JOHNSON on Nov 27, 2011 at 4:02 am

11. I am so going to make this!!

by Sook on Nov 30, 2011 at 4:56 pm

12. Made this today and it turned out awesome! The office gobbled it up in about 5 minutes! I did substitute the glaze for a cream cheese glaze to give it more of that fall/carrot cake feel.

Great cream cheese glaze recipe here:

by austin on Dec 7, 2011 at 7:09 pm

13. Looks great! I like the idea of smaller dough balls to form the whole bread, that’s very unique 🙂

by Eric @ Eatwell101 on Dec 18, 2011 at 4:34 pm

14. just made this and it is sooo yummy. going to make it christmas morning for the family.

by becca on Dec 19, 2011 at 10:16 pm

15. I am going to make this tomorrow morning for a potluck at work. It looks so good might make two.

by Chelsea on Dec 21, 2011 at 7:22 pm

16. recipe looks absolutely wonderful, cant wait to try it

by latoya on Jan 13, 2012 at 9:44 pm

17. This is AMAZING! It was so delicious. i made it twice over Christmas break when I was home from college. It didn’t last long in my house. Everyone in my family loved it!

by allyson on May 16, 2012 at 6:42 pm

18. Here in Switzerland it is unknown and I had such a great fun making it.
    Thank you for sharing the recipe with a beautiful tutorial.
    Visit me if you wish, I’m blogging about it right now (to make sure that the recipe get spread all over Europe, too!)

by Ckay on Jul 29, 2012 at 5:59 pm

19. I’ve made this 3 times now, and each time it tastes even better! Thank you so much for the great recipe and tutorial. I’m sure everyone at work will love this tomorrow when I bring it in. 🙂

by Angela on Sep 9, 2012 at 1:20 am

20. You know, the whole idea of traditional monkey bread initially was to use quick and easy ingredients. I love yeast dough as much as the next baker, but monkey bread is so good with the Rhodes frozen dough or canned biscuit dough why would you use such a time consuming, involved recipe when you can use the easy, yummy ones and spend the time with your family? These days, most of us are looking for easy time-savers.

by Kayla on Sep 9, 2012 at 6:11 pm

21. Kayla – You can certainly use canned dough if you’d like to. I use homemade dough because I like to be careful about the preservatives and allergens I put in mine and my family member’s bodies, and because I find baking from scratch to be incredibly cathartic. In fact, most of the recipes on my blog are geared toward from-scratch baking and cooking. But, I realize that’s not for everyone, and I hope you’ll still try the recipe with canned dough if you find that easier. Happy baking!

by Tracy on Sep 9, 2012 at 8:19 pm

22. I just made this, it came out deliciously! Thanks for posting the recipe.

by brittany on Sep 24, 2012 at 4:34 pm

23. This is a gorgeous and yummy recipe. Can’t wait to try it for this weekend’s baking session. I’ll probably like to add some seeds or nuts for a lil more bite:D

by missyblurkit on Oct 3, 2012 at 11:02 am

24. Wow that looks amazing! Yum! I have to save this recipe. 😀

by Patricia (@PatriciaStreete) on Oct 10, 2012 at 11:10 am

25. I made this today and instead of the glaze I rubbed the sides and bottom of the pan with margarine mixed with brown suagr ( just like you would with cinnamon buns). Its a great recipe! Thanks for sharing

by Amanda on Oct 14, 2012 at 2:23 pm

26. it is the most yummy and delicious recipe ever for me, and i will try this soon

by Sarah Jackson on Oct 15, 2012 at 12:03 pm

27. For those commenters asking if you could make the dough the night before, I’ll tell you how it turned out for me.
    I made the dough completely (both rises) and after the second rise, I put it in the fridge overnight. In the morning, I put directly in the oven. I did not adjust the cooking time. Turned out great!!
    I followed recipe exactly and my dough was very dry (opposite of sticky) and difficult to knead. But it was delicious, light, and wonderful after cooking!
    Final thought: I think the consistency of the dough depends on the pumpkin purée you use. I used a very dry purée but some may use the more runny kind. Also, you couldn’t tell that the monkey bread was pumpkin. It was delicious though!
    Thanks for recipe!

by Mandi on Oct 21, 2012 at 6:45 pm

28. Mandi – I’m sorry that it didn’t taste very pumpkin-y to you! You can always experiment by adding a little more pumpkin (and reducing the flour accordingly to balance out the extra moisture in the dough), or adding extra spices to bring out the flavor of the pumpkin more. Hope that helps!

by Tracy on Oct 21, 2012 at 7:22 pm

29. I definitely have to try this. Looks easy enough and delicious!

by Meghan on Oct 25, 2012 at 11:15 am

30. are the cloves ground?

and i think people are messing up the glaze because in the directions you left out to add the 1-2 tsp of milk.

by carissa on Oct 28, 2012 at 4:01 pm

31. Carissa – Yes, the cloves are ground. And, thank you, I definitely did leave that out of the directions! I just went and updated them. Thanks again!

by Tracy on Oct 29, 2012 at 11:55 am

32. So I wanted to make this with soy instead of milk because my friends kid is allergic to milk. Totally worked, and was amazing. Its hard to taste the pumpkin in it. Does anyone know if I increase the amount of pumpkin would it mess up the dough?

by Duet Masaki on Nov 11, 2012 at 1:46 am

33. Can I leave the dough after it’s been put in the the bundt pan over night?

by Samantha on Nov 21, 2012 at 2:55 pm

34. I’m making this tomorrow! Perfect for the day after thanksgiving!

by laura on Nov 22, 2012 at 10:56 pm

35. Samantha – I would probably put the dough in the refrigerator if I was going to leave it overnight.

by Tracy on Nov 24, 2012 at 3:30 pm

36. Aaaannd.. This is why I need a bundt pan. This looks fantastic!!

by ATasteOfMadness on Apr 28, 2013 at 5:57 pm

37. Hi Tracy,
    Thanks so much for posting this! It looks delicious!! I have a few questions:
    1. Do you think it would be okay to use whole wheat pastry flour instead of all purpose flour?
    2. Do you think it would be okay to use almond milk instead of cow milk?
    3. I don’t like maple sugar so plan to exclude the glaze. But that leaves relatively little sugar in the recipe. Do you think I could make up for the sweetness in the absent glaze by increasing the amount of sugar in the dough itself? If so, do you have a guess about how much extra sugar I should include? Thanks so much for your help!
    With Warm and Spicy Regards, Marisol

by Marisol on Apr 29, 2013 at 8:04 pm

38. Hi Marisol – I’ll try to answer all of your questions below:

1. I think that using all whole wheat flour would make this bread very dense, so I’d suggest using a combination of whole wheat and all-purpose flour.
    2. I haven’t tried the recipe with different types of milk, but I don’t see why you couldn’t give it a shot.
    3. I’d increase the sugar in the dough from 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup.

Hope that helps, and good luck!

by Tracy on Apr 30, 2013 at 10:07 am

39. Thank you so much for your recipe, Tracy! I ended up using white whole wheat flour (since that was what I had), and I would definitely suggest mixing with all purpose or pastry flour, as my result was more dense than I was hoping for. The flavor is great though– I will definitely try this again!

by ClearWeave on Sep 29, 2013 at 11:10 pm

40. This is such a great idea. I can’t wait to give it a try!

by Mary on Oct 22, 2013 at 7:25 pm

41. Hm, over all the recipe is awesome and tastes great but mine had a bit of a failure. =/ I was making this for Thanksgiving and it really messed up. I followed every step to a T with precise measurements because I didn’t want to mess up. Everything was good until i went to get it from the oven. I let it sit about 10 min (like the instructions says) before trying to turn it out onto a dish… it wouldn’t come out… Like I even knocked the budnt pan around with the hammer and it still wouldn’t come out! I also had coated the pan in Pam and this happened… I ended up having to let it cool fully and using a butter knife to get it out which it came out in little balls slowly but surely so i ended up with something like pumpkin cake drops coated in glaze. Lol, as I said, it tastes fantastic but it just would not come out of the pan!!! =/ I can’t think of where I had went wrong…

by India on Nov 28, 2013 at 3:12 am

42. This looks awesome. I actually have monkey bread on my meal planning for next weekend. I think I will have to try your variation. Thanks

by Hilary on Sep 7, 2014 at 10:35 pm

43. Is there really milk in the glaze? Or was that supposed to say butter as mentioned in the instructions? In the middle of making it now! Thanks.

by Heather on Oct 15, 2014 at 3:15 pm

44. Heather – Yes, it should be milk in both the ingredient list and instructions.

by Tracy on Oct 30, 2014 at 2:31 pm

45. What a great idea, I love it 🙂

by Alifemoment on Mar 20, 2015 at 6:45 pm

46. Thank you for sharing your recipe, I also find it hard to figure out what type of recipes I’m going to use in making Pumpkin monkey bread to my wife really happy and proud but Also, thanks for the tips. I hope I’ll be able to make such delicious bread like yours.

by Aijika on Jul 1, 2015 at 11:51 pm

47. This looks insanely easy and I love the idea of Monkey Breads.

by Tina Basu on Jun 1, 2017 at 3:25 am