Sweet Apple Risotto

Apple Risotto - 4

Have you gone apple picking yet? On a crisp, sunny day with a slight breeze rustling through the trees, apple picking is another one of my favorite autumn activities (I have a lot of them, I know). I went a few weeks ago with some friends, and I ended up picking about fourteen pounds of apples. My friends and I also started the tradition a few years back of heading over to one of our homes after picking to bake with our freshly-picked apples, which is almost more fun than the picking itself. This year, it was me and two other friends, and while they each made different kinds of apples dumplings, I whipped up a caramel-apple pie for the hubby as we talked, giggled, and shared a lovely afternoon together. Even after that pie and a big batch of my usual apple maple butter, I was still up to my elbows in apple recipes I wanted to make, and this apple risotto was one of them. I’m just going to come right out and say that this risotto is absolutely a dessert risotto, unlike the strawberries and cream risotto I made that flirted with both sides of the sweet/savory spectrum. While most other risottos I make are served as dinner, I would definitely serve this one in smaller portions as a dessert or a sweet side. If you haven’t tried a dessert risotto yet, I highly recommend this one…and if you haven’t gone apple picking yet, I highly recommend that too, especially with a friend or three – and maybe start a baking tradition of your own!

In a medium sauce pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add in the apples, cinnamon, nutmeg, and sugar, and maple syrup. Cook until softened.

Apple Risotto - 1

Pour in the rice, and then cook 1-2 minutes. Add in the wine.

Apple Risotto - 2

Bring to a simmer, stirring frequently, until the rice has absorbed most of the wine. Continue this process with the cider and water, adding the 1/2 cup at a time until the rice has absorbed all of the liquid. Cook until al dente, and then remove from the heat.

Apple Risotto - 3

Serve warm.

Posted by on September 21, 2011.

1. I want this. RIGHT NOW. This second. It looks beautiful, and I love the idea of dessert risotto.

by Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies on Sep 21, 2011 at 10:43 am

2. I love this idea! Yum!

by Katrina on Sep 21, 2011 at 3:46 pm

3. Delish! I made this last week, but with leeks as well. Yum!

by Aimee @ Simple Bites on Sep 21, 2011 at 8:04 pm

4. Oh, this sounds just perfect, Tracy! It reminds me a bit of a rice pudding, but much more sophisticated. Can’t wait to try it.

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Sep 21, 2011 at 9:24 pm

5. Wow, this sounds really good! I’ve never heard of a dessert risotto before, but I imagine it tasting sort of like rice pudding.

by Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen on Sep 21, 2011 at 11:03 pm

6. I really want to try this for breakfast!

by Beth @ 990 Square on Sep 22, 2011 at 7:21 am

7. great idea and very creative!

by Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. on Sep 22, 2011 at 9:25 am

8. You’re right–I need to get on this dessert risotto train. Being a huge fan of rice pudding, I know it would be a hit in my kitchen. My only problem is that after cooking dinner I rarely feel energized to make dessert.

by Jenna on Sep 22, 2011 at 11:07 am

9. This looks fabulous! I’ll have to try this asap as I have some arborio rice to use up!

by Krista on Sep 22, 2011 at 11:55 am

10. Tracy, this is so creative! I would have never thought to do an apple risotto, but I love the idea. I just posted about a pumpkin risotto and I’m loving all these fall flavors that are cropping up on the food blogs! Thanks for sharing.

by Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking on Sep 22, 2011 at 2:39 pm

11. I love apple picking too; I have not gone yet though. I love your risotto. I have never had a sweet risotto, but I have no doubt that I would love it prepared this way:)

by Raina on Sep 22, 2011 at 9:05 pm

12. This looks fantastic. Cannot wait to try it. We are aplenty crazy right now. Come over and visit us. We have some great recipes.

by Carolinaheartstrings on Sep 22, 2011 at 10:02 pm