Pumpkin Spice Latte

Pumpkin Spice Latte - 1

Note: This post was originally published on September 1st, 2009. I have since revised the recipe and instructions for a much easier-to-make syrup that is even better than the original version. I hope you enjoy the syrup, and I hope you enjoy saving money on pumpkin spice lattes!

As far as I’m concerned, as soon as September 1st hits, it’s fall. I absolutely love fall. The leaves changing, the cool, crisp air, jeans & hoodies, and of course, the wonderful flavors of fall, including pumpkin spice lattes from Starbucks. However, while I love the coffee, I do NOT love shelling out almost $5 per latte. So, I set out to make my own pumpkin spice syrup. I tried it in a latte I made using my espresso machine at home, and I really couldn’t tell the difference between mine and the “real” ones from Starbucks. It was like tasting pure autumn comfort – try it and see!

For the latte:

In a small sauce pan, combine all of the ingredients. Simmer over low-medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 10-15 minutes. Do not allow to boil.

Let the syrup cool to lukewarm, and then strain it through a fine-mesh sieve or cheesecloth to remove some of the grittiness from the spices. Pour the syrup into a bottle or jar. Store the jar in the refrigerator, and use within a month. If the remaining spices settle to the bottom, just give the syrup a quick stir before you use it.

Pumpkin Spice Latte - 3

To make a latte, make one or two shots of espresso using an espresso machine.

Use the steam nozzle to froth the milk. When the milk is hot and frothy, pour in the espresso and pumpkin spice syrup and stir. If desired, top with whipped cream and drizzle a little more syrup over the top.

Posted by on September 16, 2011.

Tags: , ,

Categories: drinks

1. I’m so glad you reposted this (and perfected it)! I have a friend who’s a coffee addict, and I think I need to make her a jar as a gift.

by Jenna on Sep 19, 2011 at 12:17 pm

2. Made this just now – perfect, it was easy and delicious, thank you 🙂

by Meg on Sep 19, 2011 at 7:49 pm

3. What a wonderful creation!! It looks delicious and it’s always nice to be able to make your own lattes and save some money 🙂

by Stefanie on Sep 19, 2011 at 11:59 pm

4. Tried this and loved it, but have 2 questions. I’m wondering why not let the syrup boil? Does it thicken up too much? The other is the Cinnamon… Does using sticks tone down the cinnamon taste? I used 1 heaping tsp and I found the taste slightly overpowering.
    Thanks for posting!
    Marlese

by Marlese Hazeu on Sep 20, 2011 at 6:18 pm

5. Marlese – Yes, if the syrup boils and gets too thick, it will become gooey and gummy from the pumpkin. The use of cinnamon sticks rather than ground cinnamon simply helps when you are straining the syrup to remove some of the grittiness from the spices. Hope that helps!

by Tracy on Sep 20, 2011 at 6:24 pm

6. This is genius! I can’t wait to try one of these babies!

by Chrissy on Sep 22, 2011 at 9:59 pm

7. This is great! I might make this syrup as a Christmas gift for the pumpkin spice lovers in my family!

by Robin on Sep 26, 2011 at 11:37 pm

8. Just made this today, so easy and tasty!
    I’m a huge lover of pumpkin and work at Starbucks, but sadly PSL is not part of our menu, so now I finally get to enjoy the drink our foreign customers rave about!

by Arienaisekai on Sep 28, 2011 at 3:04 pm

9. Had to put in my two cents (or 5 euros). Thanks a billion for this recipe! I moved from the States to Holland almost 4 years ago, and this has been one of the things I missed so badly! We do have Starbucks at the airport (which I live very close to) and at more and more train stations now, but they do not offer PSLs anywhere in the country. I’m thrilled to be able to make them at home now! I went through my first bottle in less than a week… better curb the enthusiasm a bit with this batch =)

by Kiki B on Oct 12, 2011 at 6:33 am

10. Oh, and one more note to people without espresso machines – a stovetop espresso pot works great (got mine at Ikea), and I heat the milk in the microwave and then froth it with a whisk. Works great =)

by Kiki B on Oct 12, 2011 at 6:35 am

11. MMMMMMMade this syrup today and made the latte in my Nespresso machine! Wonderful…..thank-you so much!

by jill on Oct 16, 2011 at 12:04 am

12. How much syrup do you add to each cup?

by Ruth on Oct 20, 2011 at 3:00 pm

13. Excellent recipe! I can’t wait to try making it tonight! Can you freeze this if you make extra syrup to save for later?

by Maree on Oct 27, 2011 at 10:07 pm

14. Great! Thanks a lot I just finished making it and it turned out very good! I will make this again 🙂

by Rosie on Dec 28, 2011 at 10:50 am

15. OMG this is looking so yummy and delicious 😛

by Sarah Jackson on Aug 10, 2012 at 5:16 pm

16. Making this right now and it smells so great just like the one from Starbucks. Can’t wait to try and share.

by Erin on Oct 15, 2012 at 1:28 pm

17. I made a pumpkin spice syrup much like this, only used much much more pumpkin. I’m a pumpkin fanatic, so mine had half a can of pumpkin puree.

by Kiera on Sep 26, 2013 at 4:34 pm