Sourdough Beer Pretzels

Sourdough-Beer Pretzels - 5

Have you made your sourdough starter yet? In case you have, I wanted to have a sourdough recipe ready for you today so that you can get started with making your own sourdough bread. I adapted this recipe from a sourdough pretzel recipe I found at King Arthur Flour, except that I couldn’t resist adding in some beer for a little extra kick. Some recipes call for “fed” starter, but this one doesn’t – fed starter means that several hours before you’re ready to use your starter in a recipe, you discard half, feed the remaining starter with 1/2 cup warm water and 1 cup flour, and then let it sit at room temperature 4 hours or until bubbly again. Then, remove the portion you’ll be using in a recipe, as the starter has already been fed. Repeat the feeding process with the remaining starter before you stick it back in the refrigerator. For this recipe though, we’re simply going to take the portion of starter we would have discarded and put it, unfed, straight into this pretzel recipe – although, you do still need to feed the remaining starter before you put it back into the refrigerator to keep the starter going. Confused? I hope not – but please leave any questions you have in the comments if you are. Now, let’s get to it!

Recipe adapted from here.

For the dough:

For the topping:

In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients. Mix until the dough holds together, and then knead until smooth.

Sourdough-Beer Pretzels - 1

Shape the dough into a ball, and then place it in a lightly greased bowl. Let rise about 45 minutes. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Sourdough-Beer Pretzels - 2

Turn the dough out on to a lightly floured surface. Shape into a rectangle and cut into 12 pieces.

Sourdough-Beer Pretzels - 3

Roll each piece into an 18″ long rope. Then, shape them into pretzels by making a loop with the dough and then twisting the ends together and tucking them into the bottom. Place all of the pretzels on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. For the topping, stir the sugar into the water until dissolved, and then brush the mixture over the pretzels (it helps the pretzels brown nicely, and it helps the salt stick, too). Sprinkle the pretzels with kosher or coarse-grain salt, if desired.

Sourdough-Beer Pretzels - 4

Bake 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. If desired, brush them with melted butter while they’re still warm.

Posted by on September 14, 2011.

Tags:

Categories: breads & pastries

1. Could these get any more delicious? Sourdough & Beer – perfect combo! I want them. In my mouth. Now.

by Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies on Sep 14, 2011 at 11:37 am

2. Yay! I was just thinking this morning that I needed to use some of my sourdough starter and wasn’t sure I wanted to make bread. This is perfect!

by Terri A. on Sep 14, 2011 at 1:07 pm

3. you sold me at beer!

by Jessica @ How Sweet on Sep 14, 2011 at 1:12 pm

4. argggghhh you’re making me want to go make pretzels! that’s not a bad thing but it kind of is because then I’ll eat them all. They look awesome btw :)

by Rachel on Sep 14, 2011 at 2:33 pm

5. I love pretzels, but, fresh? Oh yes.

by Christina @ This Woman Cooks! on Sep 14, 2011 at 4:42 pm

6. Another thing I need to make with my sourdough starter!

by Erin on Sep 14, 2011 at 5:01 pm

7. Oh my! I love everything about this recipe. I can’t wait to try~

by Katrina on Sep 14, 2011 at 7:21 pm

8. These look delicious. It’s been a long time since I have made anything with yeast. hmmm…..thinking that might change this weekend!

by Chris on Sep 14, 2011 at 10:52 pm

9. Oh yes! Pretzels made with my favorite summer beer? I’ll take it! I haven’t made a sourdough starter yet, but after seeing these pretzels-I am on it! ;)

by Christina @ Sweet Pea's Kitchen on Sep 15, 2011 at 9:24 am

10. How did you know I was thinking about using sourdough, love fresh pretzels, and make my own beer? This are on the ‘must do’ list! Thanks!

by Carol on Sep 15, 2011 at 10:09 am

11. These pretzels look amazing. Thanks.

by Susan on Sep 15, 2011 at 10:43 am

12. These look so delectable. I can almost taste them through your pictures . . . but not quite! It’s maddening–in a good way.

by Jenna on Sep 15, 2011 at 10:53 am

13. Perfect snack for my husband, I have to make these for him!

by Caitlin @ Cake with Love on Sep 15, 2011 at 6:53 pm

14. Wow do these look delicious. Cannot wIt to mKe them.

by Carolinaheartstrings on Sep 15, 2011 at 8:54 pm

15. Yum! These look great! I missed your starter post. I will definitely check it out. I have always wanted to try and make a sourdough recipe.

by Raina on Sep 16, 2011 at 8:25 am

16. Beer – Sourdough – and Pretzels! I cannot show this recipe to Brian or we’ll be having these for dinner!

by Jamie | My Baking Addiction on Sep 16, 2011 at 4:37 pm

17. I bet these are most delicious, Tracy! I love homemade pretzels.

by Kristen on Sep 16, 2011 at 8:47 pm

18. I have to beat this nervousness and get to do pretzels! I always think its something so hard, but looking deeply into it, it seems nothing!!!
    I’m sure yours are delicious!

by Susan on Sep 18, 2011 at 7:13 am

19. These sound amazing! I remember you mentioning them when you were baking them… Yum! Now I really need to get started on that sourdough starter so I can make pretzels for the weekend football watching :)

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Sep 20, 2011 at 11:08 am

20. Hello,

We bumped into your blog and we really liked it – great recipes YUM YUM.
    We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

enjoy your recipes.

and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or

just go to Petitchef.com and click on “Add your site”

Best regards,

petitchef.com

by vincent on Sep 23, 2011 at 3:12 pm

21. Do you think these would work as well by boiling them before baking? I’ve made this recipe before: http://www.thefreshloaf.com/recipes/pretzels but I have just made a sourdough starter using your recipe and am keen to use it!

by Em on Oct 6, 2011 at 8:59 pm

22. Em – You can absolutely boil them before baking. The boiling should make them a little chewier, so if you like a chewier pretzel, they should be perfect!

by Tracy on Oct 6, 2011 at 10:32 pm