Oatmeal Apple Cake Cookies

Apple Cake Cookies - 5

I know it won’t officially be fall for another few weeks, but for me, fall started a few days ago on September 1st. I may or may not have mentioned before that I’m that crazy person who starts decorating for fall way too earlyย  – although I did manage to wait until August 31st this year, so I think that’s a personal best. Naturally, I’ve been thinking about fall baking for a while now, too…so when my sister and I were talking a couple days ago, I asked her for some fall food suggestions. She immediately said apple cookies since she’s never seen an apple cookie before, and I agreed that they sounded like a great idea. I got right to experimenting, and these cookies are what I came up with – a soft, cake-y cookie that I think tastes just like a bite of apple cake. Enjoy!

In a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugars. Add in the egg and applesauce and beat until well-blended.

Apple Cake Cookies - 1

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and oats.

Apple Cake Cookies - 2

Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Stir in the chopped apples. The batter will be sticky.

Apple Cake Cookies - 3

Cover and refrigerate an hour before baking (otherwise the cookies may flatten). When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line cookie sheets with parchment paper. Drop the dough by tablespoonfuls about 2″ apart on to the baking sheets.

Apple Cake Cookies - 4

Bake 13-15 minutes or until the edges are golden. Remove to a wire rack to cool.

Posted by on September 6, 2011.

1. These look great, Tracy! I am 100% ready for fall. In fact, I was just thinking that I can start getting the pumpkin decorations out this week now that Labor Day has passed. ๐Ÿ™‚

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Sep 6, 2011 at 1:41 pm

2. These look wonderful! My family has a similar recipe, and they’re always a fall favorite to make. ๐Ÿ™‚ Yay for fall!! I can’t get enough of this season!

by Colleen @ What's Baking in the Barbershop?! on Sep 6, 2011 at 1:52 pm

3. These sound lovely! Great recipe ๐Ÿ™‚

by Katrina on Sep 6, 2011 at 2:52 pm

4. These sound wonderful Tracy- a fall cookie!! I’m so excited. I adore fall too, you’re not the only crazy person. I got out my fall decorating box yesterday and it has begun. ๐Ÿ™‚

by Christina @ This Woman Cooks! on Sep 6, 2011 at 4:33 pm

5. How funny that we were on the same wavelength this weekend! I too made cookies with fresh apples in them. It’s kinda a revelation ๐Ÿ™‚

by Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies on Sep 6, 2011 at 4:42 pm

6. We are in the fall mode too. Great looking cookies. Come visit this week, we are having some really great apple recipes.

by carolinaheartstrings on Sep 6, 2011 at 6:08 pm

7. If only I had applesauce…I would be making these now!

by Beth @ 990 Square on Sep 6, 2011 at 8:37 pm

8. oh, i HAD to pin these! they look so good. fall is the only time of year that i can handle fruit desserts– because they’re all apple/cinnamon goodness.

by emily @ the happy home on Sep 6, 2011 at 8:45 pm

9. I made a cookie VERY close to this over the weekend, so I’m right there with you, diving head first into fall! I love that you used applesauce in addition to the apples – great way to add moisture in a fairly healthy way.

by Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) on Sep 6, 2011 at 9:32 pm

10. Bring on the fall flavors I’m all ready! These sound delicious ๐Ÿ™‚

by Diane {Created by Diane} on Sep 7, 2011 at 12:28 am

11. Mmm, spicy appley and a cookie to boot. Sounds like a fun fall treat.

by Lisa on Sep 7, 2011 at 2:46 am

12. I am so inspired! Off to the market for some apples, Then making these deligts for an afterschool snack:) Thanks!

by Aimee @ Menus and Meals for Moms on Sep 7, 2011 at 9:34 am

13. I created an apple cookie recipe for the Pilsbury contest…but alas I did not win…. although the cookies were fantastic if I do say so myself ;O) I can’t waitto try these ones. :O)

by colleen on Sep 7, 2011 at 11:08 am

14. I thought I was ready for fall, but today the high in Chicago is 69, and I didn’t know what to wear this morning!! It’s like I’ve forgotten how to combine anything except a tank top and shorts. Now I need to actually think about how to layer . . . yikes.

by Jenna on Sep 7, 2011 at 12:14 pm

15. Wow, you really do love fall! October is my favorite month (maybe it’s because of all the orange??) but I’m still not ready to let summer go yet. Rain, rain, go away and bring back a few more days of sunshine…

by Casey@Good. Food. Stories. on Sep 7, 2011 at 6:40 pm

16. Hi Tracy, just hopped over from Lindsey’s site, loved your guest post. These look so good, I could eat probably one too many:)) Thank you for sharing the recipe, and I love your photos too!!!

by Sandra's Easy Cooking on Sep 8, 2011 at 10:45 am

17. This cookie sounds so yummy and cozy!
    I could curl up with one…or three of these and a glass of tea ๐Ÿ™‚

by shelly (cookies and cups) on Sep 9, 2011 at 9:27 am

18. Wonderful creation ๐Ÿ™‚ Always love cake-like cookies since they’re so fluffy and good! Love the idea of apple cookies!!

by Stefanie on Sep 13, 2011 at 1:34 am

19. I just made apple cookies too! So excited for fall baking – this cookie looks like the perfect way to welcome it!

by Jamie | My Baking Addiction on Sep 16, 2011 at 4:33 pm