Honey-Oat Cookies with Chocolate-Covered Sunflower Seeds

Honey-Oat Cookies with Chocolate Coated Sunflower Seeds - 6

As you probably know due to the amount of down time and lack of posting on my site last week, I had another run-in with my web host similar to the first one. This time, the first indication something was wrong was readers e-mailing me for recipes that they couldn’t get from my site. Fun, right? Yeah…not really. All that said, I was tired of of the way I was being treated, so last week I finally began the process of switching to a new web host. They’ve been really great so far, and although I’ll be working through the kinks for the next couple days, it looks like things are up and running again. Thank you for your patience – you guys are great!

In the meantime, I’ve been helping myself to some comfort food, including these honey-oat cookies with chocolate-covered sunflower seeds that come straight from Aimée of Simple Bites. On the last day at the Big Summer Potluck, a few of us hit up Trader Joe’s, and one of the first things I had to grab were a few packages of their chocolate-covered sunflower seeds. When our shopping trip was over and we all climbed back into the car, Aimée mentioned that she had used them in an oatmeal cookie recipe before, and I just knew I had to try it. Even though I’m a chronic recipe tweaker, I didn’t change a thing about her recipe…and I’m glad I didn’t, because these are by far my new favorite cookie. Comforting and sweet, they bake up just as well out of the freezer as they do fresh (although you’ll need to add a few minutes to the baking time). I hope you enjoy them as much as I did!

Recipe from here.

• 1 cup plus 1/3 cup flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 2 cups oats
  • 1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp butter, softened
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1 egg, 1 egg white
  • 1 cup chocolate-covered sunflower seeds

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and oats.

Honey-Oat Cookies with Chocolate Coated Sunflower Seeds - 2

In a larger bowl, cream the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in the honey, egg, and egg white.

Honey-Oat Cookies with Chocolate Coated Sunflower Seeds - 1

Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until combined. Stir in the chocolate-covered sunflower seeds.

Honey-Oat Cookies with Chocolate Coated Sunflower Seeds - 3

Drop by teaspoonfuls on to the cookie sheets.

Honey-Oat Cookies with Chocolate Coated Sunflower Seeds - 4

Bake about 7 minutes or until golden on the edges and slightly underbaked in the center. Remove from the oven and let rest on the cookie sheet for a few minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

Honey-Oat Cookies with Chocolate Coated Sunflower Seeds - 5

20 Responses to “Honey-Oat Cookies with Chocolate-Covered Sunflower Seeds”

1. 1 Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction Says:
    August 29th, 2011 at 10:05 am

Glad to see you’re up and running again. Love the look of these cookies. I just need to find some chocolate covered sunflower seeds!

2. 2 Debbie Says:
    August 29th, 2011 at 10:22 am

Oooh! Those look good. Do you still have the package from the seeds? Are they colored naturally? Knowing TJ’s, they probably are. Something tells me I’ll be fitting a TJ’s trip into my agenda this week.

3. 3 Colleen @ What's Baking in the Barbershop?! Says:
    August 29th, 2011 at 10:27 am

Wow, what a fabulous combination! Love the addition of the chocolate covered sunflower seeds. The colors are great!

4. 4 Jessica @ How Sweet Says:
    August 29th, 2011 at 11:35 am

I love those sunflower seeds and can eat buckets of them. These cookies are awesome!

5. 5 Liz @ Blog is the New Black Says:
    August 29th, 2011 at 1:09 pm

I love that you used sunfower seeds! Nice variation!

6. 6 Erin Says:
    August 29th, 2011 at 3:59 pm

I love the colors of the sunflower seeds! So much pretty than m&ms, and healthier too!

7. 7 Casey@Good. Food. Stories. Says:
    August 29th, 2011 at 4:14 pm

Ladies (Aimee and Tracy), excellent call to add the sunflower seeds! Not only are they adorable, but I MIGHT actually convince my husband to eat an oatmeal cookie if they’re in the batter.

8. 8 Christina @ This Woman Cooks! Says:
    August 29th, 2011 at 8:46 pm

Glad to see you back! Those sunflower seeds are so pretty.

9. 9 Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) Says:
    August 29th, 2011 at 9:08 pm

Oh gosh, seems like blog hosting can be SO complicated! I’ve been in the process of switching to self-hosted for a few months now, no fun! But at the end of the day, it’s just a blog :) Anyway… these cookies sound so good! I had the candy coated sunflower seeds for the first time a couple months ago at a fro yo place. So yummy!! I think I’d eat them over M&Ms, actually :)

10. 10 Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen Says:
    August 30th, 2011 at 3:50 am

Sorry to hear you’ve been having hosting problems as well, hope it all gets worked out soon. Love those chocolate covered sunflower seeds from Trader Joe’s, they have the best stuff don’t they?

11. 11 Aimee @ ShugarySweets Says:
    August 30th, 2011 at 1:49 pm

The sunflower seeds make it so pretty. My mom bought me a container of those from Trader Joes, fortunately my kids don’t like them and I do!

12. 12 Katrina Says:
    August 30th, 2011 at 3:47 pm

These sound lovely! They’re super cute too :)

13. 13 Paula Says:
    August 30th, 2011 at 3:58 pm

Oat cookies, and so cute!! I have to try them!!

14. 14 Raina Says:
    August 30th, 2011 at 6:14 pm

Very frustrating having difficulty with your site. I am glad to hear everything is back to normal. I hope you did not lose posts.

These cookies are great. I love the healthy addition of the sunflower seeds. That must add such a wonderful flavor:)

15. 15 Andrea {From the Bookshelf} Says:
    August 30th, 2011 at 7:38 pm

I see these every time I go to Trader Joe’s- longingly – wanting to have a place for them to be. These cookies are absolutely perfect!

16. 16 Nina Says:
    September 1st, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Yum yum yum!

17. 17 Aimee @ Simple Bites Says:
    September 1st, 2011 at 9:23 pm

Delish! And your photos are so pretty. =)

18. 18 Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels Says:
    September 4th, 2011 at 12:15 pm

Wow do these cookies look incredible! I love the chocolate covered sunflower seeds in the cookies, the bright colors make the cookies look so pretty. :) I can’t wait to try them out, they’re calling my name!

19. 19 Jessie Says:
    January 23rd, 2012 at 12:52 pm

These cookies are absolutely delicious!
    I came across this recipe as I was trying to find a use for the bag of Sunflower seeds I have (left overs from Xmas Tree Cake Pops!) and this cookie recipe was perfect!

Definitely a big hit at my house.
    Thanks! :)

20. 20 Jenny Says:
    October 28th, 2012 at 12:36 am

Alright, what did I do wrong…. After putting my 8 bright and beautiful dollops of cookie dough into the oven, I noticed after about 4 minutes they had completely spread over the entire pan into one big flat thin pancake like substance :( Can anyone possibly explain?