Zucchini, Basil, and Cheese Rolls

Zucchini Basil Cheese Rolls - 8

It seems that everywhere I turn lately, zucchini is in abundance, whether it’s at the farmer’s market, our CSA, or the garden of a friend. Suffice it to say that I’ve received quite a few zucchini over the last few weeks, so after the first few zucchini breads and the batch of zucchini relish I made last week, I’ve had to get a little more creative. One night last week while I was making beef stew for dinner, I had a random thought to try and incorporate zucchini into dinner rolls. I just threw in whatever I had on hand, including some fresh basil from our CSA, and some colby jack cheese since I didn’t have any cheddar. Hubby and I both loved the resulting rolls, which were soft and perfect for cleaning up the remaining stew gravy from our bowls. If you’ve been wondering what do with all your zucchini, I hope you’ll give these a try. I think they’re great to make as the weather begins to turn just a little cooler as we head into fall!

Press the shredded zucchini lightly with a paper towel to remove some of the moisture. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt yeast, and cheese.

Zucchini Basil Cheese Rolls - 1

Stir in the zucchini and basil.

Zucchini Basil Cheese Rolls - 2

Pour the water and melted butter into the bowl and mix until incorporated. Turn out on to a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes.

Zucchini Basil Cheese Rolls - 3

Place in a greased bowl. Cover and let rise until doubled, about an hour.

Zucchini Basil Cheese Rolls - 4

Grease a 9×13″ baking dish. Shape the dough into 12 balls, placing each one in the baking dish. Cover.

Zucchini Basil Cheese Rolls - 5

Let rise until doubled in size, about 45 minutes.

Zucchini Basil Cheese Rolls - 6

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and bake the rolls 20-25 minutes or until light golden brown.

Zucchini Basil Cheese Rolls - 7

Posted by on August 18, 2011.

Tags: , ,

Categories: breads & pastries

1. Oh my gosh, those look like little pillows of zucchini win.

by Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies on Aug 18, 2011 at 1:15 pm

2. Yum! Those look fantastic!

by Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen on Aug 18, 2011 at 1:23 pm

3. Oh my, these rolls sound incredible!! Great mix of flavors!

by Charlie on Aug 18, 2011 at 1:27 pm

4. Yum! Those look so delicious and flakey! I have to try them!

by Lindsay @Eat, Knit, Grow on Aug 18, 2011 at 1:28 pm

5. Those rolls are gorgeous Tracy! I love the flavors you’ve incorporated.

by Tracey on Aug 18, 2011 at 1:31 pm

6. Looks amazing! Yum!

by Sonia Rumzi on Aug 18, 2011 at 1:43 pm

7. They look gorgeous!! Will have to try these after our trip to the farmer’s market this weekend. Thanks for the recipe!

by Tiffani on Aug 18, 2011 at 1:45 pm

8. Oh my gosh, these are beautiful!!

by Cookbook Queen on Aug 18, 2011 at 1:51 pm

9. What a great idea! Not having a garden, I’m not particularly overwhelmed with zucchini, but this recipe and your pictures are enough to send me to the grocery to buy some!

by Jenna on Aug 18, 2011 at 1:52 pm

10. These are so tasty looking! I really need to use up my zucchini so these are perfecto right now.

by Katrina on Aug 18, 2011 at 2:05 pm

11. These look delicious! Another way to use up all that zucchini and basil from my garden.

by Everyday Cook on Aug 18, 2011 at 2:19 pm

12. I hoard good zucchini recipes for when my neighbors inevitably leave anonymous piles of squash on my doorstep… they’ll get it back in roll form this year!

by Casey@Good. Food. Stories. on Aug 18, 2011 at 2:49 pm

13. These look so light and fluffy! I make biscuits all the time, and I think grated zucchini would be a great addition.

by Heather@CurlyGirlKitchen on Aug 18, 2011 at 3:17 pm

14. I love that you put basil in them too, as that is growing in my garden like crazy (along with the zucchini). I’m making these this week!!!

by Aimee @ ShugarySweets on Aug 18, 2011 at 3:59 pm

15. I have been looking for something wonderful to do with my zucchini and I just found it!

by Maris (In Good Taste) on Aug 18, 2011 at 7:35 pm

16. We have actually had very little zucchini this year! The groundhogs in my backyard ate my plants (ugh!) and we’ve hardly gotten any from our CSA. Before, I didn’t care too much, but now I’m wishing I had some on hand to give these rolls a try!

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Aug 18, 2011 at 9:25 pm

17. How perfectly sweet, Tracy. Look at you, the smart one. These would be amazing with a rustic fall soup.

by Aimee @ Simple Bites on Aug 18, 2011 at 10:30 pm

18. I think they sound quite delicious. I have a question regarding the yeast. The recipe says “in a large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt yeast, and cheese”. Is it actually active dry yeast or instant yeast? I see that the yeast isn’t being proofed.

by Cheryl on Aug 19, 2011 at 9:44 am

19. Exceptional combination of flavors: basil, cheese & zucchini! We’ve had so much fog this summer, these rolls would be great with a summer soup. Thanks for sharing.

by Deb on Aug 19, 2011 at 4:14 pm

20. The flavors in these rolls are flavors I’ve never thought about being together before. They look fantastic!

by Cara on Aug 19, 2011 at 9:16 pm

21. I too have waaayyy too much zucchini. I was just going to be boring and make bread but now I think I’ll make these instead 😀 Hmm…now what would go good with these on the side…

by Sandy on Aug 19, 2011 at 10:40 pm

22. What a unique idea! Can’t wait to try them myself!

by Linda in KS on Aug 19, 2011 at 10:54 pm

23. My mouth is watering. What a wonderful, delicious looking recipe. Yum. Come over and visit us. We have a great tomato pie recipe today.

by carolinaheartstrings on Aug 22, 2011 at 2:30 pm

24. This sounds amazing! Love the idea of putting the zucchini in the rolls.

by Shaina on Aug 22, 2011 at 7:45 pm