Beet Risotto

Beet Risotto - 3

Beets are one of those vegetables I always avoided. I don’t remember having had them growing up, much less whether the experience was good or bad, so I’m not sure where my aversion to beets came from. Last year during our CSA though, beets were plentiful… and after weeks of our CSA owner urging me to try them, I finally, albeit reluctantly, took some home. Beets took me by surprise that week…I ended up throwing together this summer salad and loving every bite of it. This year, rather than avoiding beets, I’ve been anticipating them with excitement in my CSA basket. Unfortunately though, the beet harvest hasn’t been as good this year due to the weather. I did get enough beets to make this colorful risotto though; it’s a wonderful summer side or lunch. If you come across fresh beets this summer whether through a CSA, a farmer’s market, or your friend’s vegetable garden, don’t be like last year me and avoid them…make this risotto!

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and wrap the beets in aluminum foil. Place them on a baking sheet and roast them in the oven about 20 minutes or until they are easily pierced with a fork. Once cool, peel and dice the beets.

In a small pot, bring the broth to a simmer. In a medium sauce pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Dice the onion and garlic, and then add the onion to the pan and cook until translucent. Add in the garlic and cook a couple minutes longer until browned.

Beet Risotto - 1

Pour in the rice and cook 1-2 minutes. Add in the wine and bring the mixture to a simmer, stirring frequently, until the rice has absorbed most of the wine. Continue this process with the broth, adding it 1/2 cup at a time, until the rice has absorbed the broth. Stir in the beets with the last of the broth.

Beet Risotto - 2

Turn off the heat and stir in the cheese. Garnish with parsley if desired, and serve warm.

Beet Risotto - 4

Posted by on August 16, 2011.

Categories: dinner

1. Delicious! I love beets…and risotto. Great combo.

by G. on Aug 16, 2011 at 10:37 am

2. Haha! You’ve totally got my number–beets frighten me! I’m just not sure what to do with them, and cooking a vegetable that you didn’t eat growing up is always a stretch for me–an exciting one, but it takes that initial leap of faith. Though of course, now that you’ve posted this recipe, I have no further excuses.

by Jenna on Aug 16, 2011 at 1:02 pm

3. Love beets and risotto so this is a perfect blend for me! very pretty too!

by Maris (In Good Taste) on Aug 16, 2011 at 1:19 pm

4. What a color! I really must cook with beets more often. And let me tell you, this gorgeous risotto would be at the top of the list.

by Cookin' Canuck on Aug 16, 2011 at 1:49 pm

5. That color is absolutely beautiful. My fiance needed a reason to plant more beets in the garden and I think you just gave him some!

Plus, any reason for him to get me to make risotto is a happy day in our house.

by Adryon on Aug 16, 2011 at 3:26 pm

6. This is gorgeous to look at, and it sounds delicious. I have never tried beets either (I think maybe it is a northeast thing..lol), but I keep hearing their praises. I would love to try them this way for sure:)

by Raina on Aug 16, 2011 at 4:33 pm

7. Hahahaha, I came to love beets via CSA + risotto, too. It was eat them or let them rot, so risotto’s a great way to start. Love the gorgeous color on your risotto! Do you get the greens with your beets? If you do, the greens are fabulous chopped up and cooked into the risotto.

by Marie on Aug 16, 2011 at 6:38 pm

8. Wow… What a lovely dish! The color is beautiful and I’m sure it tastes amazing.

I have always been afraid of beets because the only thing my mom ever made were red beet pickled eggs (which I do not like!)… A few years ago we had them in our CSA, though, and I finally tried roasting them, and loved them. Of course, we haven’t had any since.

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Aug 16, 2011 at 10:53 pm

9. I love beets! They always make my mouth red, but I don’t mind. Yummy recipe!

by Katrina on Aug 17, 2011 at 1:48 am

10. Is it bad that I’m so brain-dead this morning, all i can think of is “pretty. that risotto is so pretty.”

Also – @KItchen Addiction Jen, we grew up eating lots of Pennsylvanian beet-pickled eggs too. I happen to LOVE ‘EM and continue to scare my husband with them.

by Casey@Good. Food. Stories. on Aug 17, 2011 at 9:08 am

11. Whoa, that is some bright risotto! It looks beautiful.

by Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies on Aug 17, 2011 at 11:16 am

12. O.M.G! This is a dish that hits my soft spot, meaning my belly, in the best way possible. Beets are one of my very favorite veggies and this is something I must try. Lovely post.

by Heidi / @foodiecrush on Aug 17, 2011 at 8:01 pm

13. Lovely color, Tracy! We love beets around here, and usually roast them in foil and serve them with butter. Delish!

by Aimee @ Simple Bites on Aug 18, 2011 at 8:13 am

14. I adore beets, and love risotto, so this is a match made on cloud 9! If you’re interested in an amazing dinner salad with beets, I made one with candied walnuts that is topped with salmon. Oh, and a roasted vegetable galette that features beets. I loves my beets!

by Kathy Mercure on Aug 19, 2011 at 8:14 am

15. I too have a fear of beets! There now I’ve said it. But this recipe has inspired me. I have to give this a try!

Thanks for pushing me beyond my fears… of at least beets.

by Christa on Aug 20, 2011 at 9:39 am