Beet Risotto

Beet Risotto - 3

Beets are one of those vegetables I always avoided. I don’t remember having had them growing up, much less whether the experience was good or bad, so I’m not sure where my aversion to beets came from. Last year during our CSA though, beets were plentiful… and after weeks of our CSA owner urging me to try them, I finally, albeit reluctantly, took some home. Beets took me by surprise that week…I ended up throwing together this summer salad and loving every bite of it. This year, rather than avoiding beets, I’ve been anticipating them with excitement in my CSA basket. Unfortunately though, the beet harvest hasn’t been as good this year due to the weather. I did get enough beets to make this colorful risotto though; it’s a wonderful summer side or lunch. If you come across fresh beets this summer whether through a CSA, a farmer’s market, or your friend’s vegetable garden, don’t be like last year me and avoid them…make this risotto!

• 3-4 red beets (you can use golden too, I just liked the color!)
  • 3 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1/2 onion, diced
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1 cup arborio rice
  • 1/2 cup dry white wine
  • 1/2 cup parmesan-romano cheese, grated
  • Fresh parsley, for garnish

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and wrap the beets in aluminum foil. Place them on a baking sheet and roast them in the oven about 20 minutes or until they are easily pierced with a fork. Once cool, peel and dice the beets.

In a small pot, bring the broth to a simmer. In a medium sauce pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Dice the onion and garlic, and then add the onion to the pan and cook until translucent. Add in the garlic and cook a couple minutes longer until browned.

Beet Risotto - 1

Pour in the rice and cook 1-2 minutes. Add in the wine and bring the mixture to a simmer, stirring frequently, until the rice has absorbed most of the wine. Continue this process with the broth, adding it 1/2 cup at a time, until the rice has absorbed the broth. Stir in the beets with the last of the broth.

Beet Risotto - 2

Turn off the heat and stir in the cheese. Garnish with parsley if desired, and serve warm.

Beet Risotto - 4

15 Responses to “Beet Risotto”

1. 1 G. Says:
    August 16th, 2011 at 10:37 am

Delicious! I love beets…and risotto. Great combo.

2. 2 Jenna Says:
    August 16th, 2011 at 1:02 pm

Haha! You’ve totally got my number–beets frighten me! I’m just not sure what to do with them, and cooking a vegetable that you didn’t eat growing up is always a stretch for me–an exciting one, but it takes that initial leap of faith. Though of course, now that you’ve posted this recipe, I have no further excuses.

3. 3 Maris (In Good Taste) Says:
    August 16th, 2011 at 1:19 pm

Love beets and risotto so this is a perfect blend for me! very pretty too!

4. 4 Cookin' Canuck Says:
    August 16th, 2011 at 1:49 pm

What a color! I really must cook with beets more often. And let me tell you, this gorgeous risotto would be at the top of the list.

5. 5 Adryon Says:
    August 16th, 2011 at 3:26 pm

That color is absolutely beautiful. My fiance needed a reason to plant more beets in the garden and I think you just gave him some!

Plus, any reason for him to get me to make risotto is a happy day in our house.

6. 6 Raina Says:
    August 16th, 2011 at 4:33 pm

This is gorgeous to look at, and it sounds delicious. I have never tried beets either (I think maybe it is a northeast thing..lol), but I keep hearing their praises. I would love to try them this way for sure:)

7. 7 Marie Says:
    August 16th, 2011 at 6:38 pm

Hahahaha, I came to love beets via CSA + risotto, too. It was eat them or let them rot, so risotto’s a great way to start. Love the gorgeous color on your risotto! Do you get the greens with your beets? If you do, the greens are fabulous chopped up and cooked into the risotto.

8. 8 Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction Says:
    August 16th, 2011 at 10:53 pm

Wow… What a lovely dish! The color is beautiful and I’m sure it tastes amazing.

I have always been afraid of beets because the only thing my mom ever made were red beet pickled eggs (which I do not like!)… A few years ago we had them in our CSA, though, and I finally tried roasting them, and loved them. Of course, we haven’t had any since.

9. 9 Katrina Says:
    August 17th, 2011 at 1:48 am

I love beets! They always make my mouth red, but I don’t mind. Yummy recipe!

10. 10 Casey@Good. Food. Stories. Says:
    August 17th, 2011 at 9:08 am

Is it bad that I’m so brain-dead this morning, all i can think of is “pretty. that risotto is so pretty.”

Also – @KItchen Addiction Jen, we grew up eating lots of Pennsylvanian beet-pickled eggs too. I happen to LOVE ‘EM and continue to scare my husband with them.

11. 11 Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies Says:
    August 17th, 2011 at 11:16 am

Whoa, that is some bright risotto! It looks beautiful.

12. 12 Heidi / @foodiecrush Says:
    August 17th, 2011 at 8:01 pm

O.M.G! This is a dish that hits my soft spot, meaning my belly, in the best way possible. Beets are one of my very favorite veggies and this is something I must try. Lovely post.

13. 13 Aimee @ Simple Bites Says:
    August 18th, 2011 at 8:13 am

Lovely color, Tracy! We love beets around here, and usually roast them in foil and serve them with butter. Delish!

14. 14 Kathy Mercure Says:
    August 19th, 2011 at 8:14 am

I adore beets, and love risotto, so this is a match made on cloud 9! If you’re interested in an amazing dinner salad with beets, I made one with candied walnuts that is topped with salmon. Oh, and a roasted vegetable galette that features beets. I loves my beets!

15. 15 Christa Says:
    August 20th, 2011 at 9:39 am

I too have a fear of beets! There now I’ve said it. But this recipe has inspired me. I have to give this a try!

Thanks for pushing me beyond my fears… of at least beets.