Raspberry-Cherry Jam and National Can-It-Forward Day

Raspberry-Cherry Jam

Even though this post was supposed to go up yesterday (I’m not going to get into the issues with my host again, but if you follow me on Twitter, you can read about the whole saga), I’m still declaring it to be “canning week” here on Sugarcrafter, and I couldn’t be more excited. Have you heard about National Can-It-Forward Day?

If you’ve been wanting to learn how to can for a while now, or you’ve simply been too intimidated to try it yourself, now is the time to go for it! I heard about the event back in May when I saw a “save the date” post go up on one of my favorite canning blogs, Canning Across America…basically, this Saturday the 13th, Jarden Home Brands (the makers of Ball® home canning products) will have Canning Across America members doing live canning demos all day long at Seattle’s Pike Place market. Lucky for those of us who aren’t in Seattle, they’ll also be streaming the day’s events online, with a live Q&A so that you can ask expert canners your questions as you can your creations, every step of the way. As a seasoned canner, I’m looking forward to picking up some tips and tricks from others! And, I’ll be posting canning recipes this week, with a step-by-step tutorial for canning relish on Saturday for the actual event. Check out my post on Canning Basics to get started!

In a large pot, stir together the fruit and lemon juice. I used a potato masher right in the pot to crush the fruit. Stir in the pectin until dissolved, and then bring to a rolling boil. Add the sugar all at once and return to a full boil. Boil hard 1-2 minutes. Remove from the heat and skim off the foam.

When ready to can, prepare your supplies. Bring the temperature of the glass jars up by processing them in hot water for several minutes. Heat a few cups of water in a small saucepan for the lids. When the jars are ready, fill them with the jam and place the lids and bands on top, screwing on the bands just to fingertip-tight. Place the full jars back into the boiling water and boil 10 minutes. Remove from the water and place the jars on a towel, and let the jars cool. The seals should suck down (you’ll hear a popping noise as they do). Makes 7 eight-ounce jars.

Posted by on August 9, 2011.

Tags: , , ,

Categories: canning

1. Yum! This is a perfect combination!

by Katrina on Aug 9, 2011 at 12:36 pm

2. Alright, I’m going to do it! I’ll hit the farmer’s market this weekend and get to work.

by Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies on Aug 9, 2011 at 3:40 pm

3. I had no idea it was Can-It-Forward Day! How appropriate, considering I have a whole bunch of Maine produce sitting on my counter just waiting to be pickled and preserved.

by Casey@Good. Food. Stories. on Aug 9, 2011 at 4:54 pm

4. Doesn’t get any better then raspberry cherry!

by Maris(In Good Taste) on Aug 9, 2011 at 6:44 pm

5. Server issues are the WORST!! (now that I’ve moved to WP I’m all seasoned and can share in your woes)

This jam looks amazing–its a combo of my two favorites!!

by cookbook queen on Aug 9, 2011 at 8:40 pm

6. Looks perfect for this weekends brunch!

by carroll on Aug 11, 2011 at 9:26 pm

7. I always enjoy meeting a fellow canning blogger. I hope you will check out my Canning Week Blog Party Aug. 22-26. We will be having a linky party with a guest judge and prize as well as daily posting canning related recipes, tips and give-a-ways!!!! It should be a lot of fun and I wanted to make sure you were invited. http://alattewithotta.blogspot.com/p/canning-week-2011.html

by Ott, A on Aug 12, 2011 at 8:33 am

8. I love those jars! And the fruits (raspberries & cherries) together sounds great!

by Valerie on Aug 14, 2011 at 8:02 am

9. This jam looks wonderful! 🙂

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Aug 15, 2011 at 9:54 pm

10. Raspberries & cherries – sounds amazingly delish!!!

by Souffle Bombay (Colleen) on Sep 28, 2011 at 9:11 am