Pink Lemonade Bars

Pink Lemonade Bars - 4

Continuing with my lemon obsession, I decided that since we had a couple cooler days this week and I didn’t mind turning on the oven, I’d make lemon bars for dessert. Instead of making my usual lemon bars though, I really wanted to incorporate pink lemonade since I prefer it over regular lemonade (for no other reason than I just love the pretty pink color, haha). I searched high and low to find out what exactly makes pink lemonade pink, but all I could come up with was food coloring. Instead of going that route, I used the juice from some of the sweet cherries I picked last week! The color may not have been as bright as it could have been had I used coloring, but I much preferred the taste and I thought the light pink color was perfectly lovely. I hope these will help cool you down after a hot day!

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.Β In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, powdered sugar and salt. Stir in the melted butter, and then press the dough into a greased 8×8″ pan.

Pink Lemonade Bars - 1

Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the crust turns light brown.

Pink Lemonade Bars - 2

Reduce the heat to 300 degrees. In another medium bowl, mix together the sugar, flour, eggs, lemon juice, cherry or pomegranate juice, and lemon zest.

Pink Lemonade Bars - 3

Pour the mixture over the crust and bake for 25-30 minutes.Β After removing from the oven, lightly dust the top with powdered sugar. Let cool completely before cutting into bars.

Pink Lemonade Bars - 5

Posted by on July 28, 2011.

Tags:

1. Ohhh I love the idea of using pomegranate juice, it’s so lovely and sweet, has a great flavour!

by jess? @ Multicultural Melbourne on Jul 28, 2011 at 7:31 pm

2. What a lovely dessert! Simple to make and looks fabulous! I will turn on the oven for these.

by Maris (In Good Taste) on Jul 28, 2011 at 7:44 pm

3. They look good!!!
    I love lemon, my mom grows pink lemonade lemons, they are actually light pink inside πŸ™‚ I’ll have to give these a try with them!

by Diane {Created by Diane} on Jul 28, 2011 at 7:52 pm

4. Thank you, thank you, thank you for not using food coloring. Now I can make these and my daughter can try them too. They sound great!

by Debbie on Jul 28, 2011 at 10:14 pm

5. I love the look of these! Pink lemonade just screams summer! Yum!

by Katrina on Jul 29, 2011 at 1:12 am

6. Cute idea!

by Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen on Jul 29, 2011 at 2:42 am

7. What a great idea! I completely understand the love for pink lemonade precisely because it’s pink. It’s something about being a girl, I think πŸ™‚

by Rachel at Eat and Write on Jul 29, 2011 at 3:25 am

8. These look so delicious! I love lemon bars! I love the idea of adding fresh juice in place of food coloring. I’m going to have to try it with raspberry. Thanks for the great idea!!

by BreAna {Sugar and Spice and All Things Iced} on Jul 29, 2011 at 10:16 am

9. Love the bars, great idea to use cherry or pomegranate juice instead of food color. I got to try that one.

by Cindy B. on Jul 29, 2011 at 11:53 am

10. love this idea!

by Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. on Jul 29, 2011 at 12:28 pm

11. they look delish, you are inspiring a craving!

by jennifurla on Jul 29, 2011 at 12:46 pm

12. Perhaps pink lemonade originally came about due to pink lemons? http://www.specialtyproduce.com/produce/Pink_Lemons_4170.php

But, since they’re hard to find, people mimic them by adding cherry, grenadine, or other pink fruits to lemonade?

by Kristin on Jul 29, 2011 at 1:07 pm

13. I have always felt the same way about pink lemonade – it’s just more fun! Love that you used your cherry juice to color them.

by Liz on Jul 30, 2011 at 9:15 pm

14. What a great idea for those of us who love the pink variety. Looks delicious. Come over and visit us. We have a great Southern recipe today.

by carolinaheartstrings on Aug 1, 2011 at 3:04 pm

15. love the sweet cherry addition!

by stephchows on Aug 1, 2011 at 4:07 pm

16. I LOVE this idea! I wculd eat a billion lemon bars (love lemon desserts) but these pink lemonade bars look even better. You have no idea how excited I am about these! πŸ™‚

by Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels on Aug 1, 2011 at 4:19 pm

17. How fun! James loves lemonade, and always orders it when we go to a restaurant. I giggle every time they bring him a giant pink drink! Maybe I’ll make these for him just to recreate the experience.

by Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies on Aug 1, 2011 at 9:34 pm

18. Awesome! What a fun twist on these…I love lemon bars, but no one in my house will eat them, so I end up eating the whole pan…I justify it with the whole, “lemon” is such a light flavor πŸ˜‰

by shelly (cookies and cups) on Aug 2, 2011 at 9:56 am

19. Ooooooooh, I am going to have to try these once I am through my lime bars. I wonder what blueberry juice would do to the color? I’m thinking purple bars would be awesome.

by Angela Watts on Aug 3, 2011 at 12:34 am

20. Angela – Purple bars would be awesome! I hope you give it a try!

by Tracy on Aug 3, 2011 at 3:34 pm

21. I’m finally getting caught up on reading after BSP. πŸ™‚ Love the look of these bars. I think I might have to make some as a treat for Darron and I this weekend!

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Aug 5, 2011 at 12:16 am

22. I’ve tried 3 times to make Blueberry Muffins blue.
    So far, i have only achieved GREY muffins. Not pretty.

Please let us know if you achieve any pretty blue.

by Bev on Aug 6, 2011 at 6:04 pm

23. I believe pink lemonade originally had raspberries in it!

by Aryn on Oct 10, 2011 at 7:28 pm