Lemon Poppy Seed Belgian Waffles

Lemon Poppy Seed Belgian Waffles - 5

Lately, I’ve been enjoying lemons. Lemons with my water, lemonade, strawberry-lemon cheesecake squares, one of my favorite summer meals, this lemon pasta with zucchini and feta – and now, these waffles. I guess something about them just says refreshing to me, and that’s exactly what I need to beat the heat right now. I made these waffles in my Belgian waffle maker, although I think they’d turn out great in a regular waffle maker, too. Make them for breakfast this week, or even dinner (or as we call it in our house, brinner). And if you have any great lemon recipes, or anything that sounds just as refreshing, send them my way!

Preheat the waffle maker to medium-high heat. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees (for keeping the cooked waffles warm). In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs. Whisk in the buttermilk, butter, yogurt, poppy seeds, and lemon juice and zest.

Lemon Poppy Seed Belgian Waffles - 1

In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and sugar.

Lemon Poppy Seed Belgian Waffles - 2

Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and whisk until smooth.

Lemon Poppy Seed Belgian Waffles - 3

Pour 1/3 cup batter into each well of the waffle maker and cook until golden brown and crisp. Makes 12 4″ waffles. Keep the cooked waffles warm in the oven until ready to serve.

Lemon Poppy Seed Belgian Waffles - 4

Posted by on July 26, 2011.

Categories: breakfast & brunch

1. I am in love with these! Lemon poppyseed is so tasty.

by Katrina on Jul 26, 2011 at 12:58 am

2. I made these this evening and they’re delish: http://bakingdom.com/2011/05/summer-citrus-sparkles.html

Will be posting a hugely positive review on my blog eventually, but figured I’d tell you now since you’re looking for lemony goodness. I also did a lemon recipe out of a book but won’t be baking that until tomorrow…

by Kimberly Chapman on Jul 26, 2011 at 1:40 am

3. I agree that lemon is such a refreshing summertime delight! These definitely live up to that!

by Maris(In Good Taste) on Jul 26, 2011 at 4:46 am

4. Love this idea… i love all lemon poppyseed things!

by Jessica @ How Sweet on Jul 26, 2011 at 6:37 am

5. Oh wow, what a great way to do that lemon poppy seed combination!

by Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen on Jul 26, 2011 at 6:47 am

6. I love lemon poppy seed muffins, so I love the idea of it being a waffle! I don’t have a belgian waffle maker but I’m glad to hear it’ll work on a regular one.

by Erin on Jul 26, 2011 at 9:14 am

7. Okay, so wait. My favorite muffin.. in a waffle iron? You are an evil genius.

by Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies on Jul 26, 2011 at 9:28 am

8. WOW!!! I LOVE lemon poppyseed everything, although I would have never thought to do these. Great idea, Tracy!!

by Sarah on Jul 26, 2011 at 10:37 am

9. I actually happen to have poppy seeds and a fresh lemon sitting around, crying out to be used. This will be perfect for a lazy Saturday brunch this weekend!

by Jenna on Jul 26, 2011 at 11:39 am

10. I’ve made lemon ricotta pancakes before, but never thought to do lemon waffles!

by Casey@Good. Food. Stories. on Jul 26, 2011 at 4:09 pm

11. I am such a sucker for giant Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins and these waffles look even better!

by Jamie | My Baking Addiction on Jul 26, 2011 at 8:03 pm

12. I love all things lemon and poppy seed. These waffles sound amazing!!

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Jul 26, 2011 at 9:20 pm

13. I love lemon poppy seed and never would’ve thought to make a lemon poppy seed waffle! But seeing as how much I enjoy lemon poppy seed muffins, I can imagine how tasty these would be on a weekend morning. 🙂

by Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) on Jul 27, 2011 at 7:33 am

14. I love lemon, but never had lemon waffles! Can’t wait to try these!

by Maria on Jul 27, 2011 at 1:54 pm

15. Love lemon poppy seed muffins, I bet these are amazing!

by stephchows on Jul 27, 2011 at 2:37 pm

16. Gorgeous waffles! I don’t make them nearly enough; I need to remedy that 🙂

by Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker on Jul 27, 2011 at 6:54 pm

17. I love the idea of lemon poppy seed. What a great variation on our regular waffles.

by Cookin' Canuck on Jul 27, 2011 at 11:21 pm

18. I love lemon anything and waffles are such a great idea. Come over and visit. We have a wonderful easy sorbet recipe today.

by carolinaheartstrings on Jul 28, 2011 at 2:34 pm

19. My kids will flip for these, what a wonderful idea, I love it!

by Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen on Jul 29, 2011 at 8:29 pm

20. I just made these. OUTSTANDING and so so delicious! I will be making these again and again.

by Maria kerr on Feb 4, 2015 at 11:04 am