Blueberry Buckle

Blueberry Buckle - 6

Last week, I received an e-mail from one of the local you-pick orchards nearby letting me know that blueberries are now ready. I’ve never picked them before, so I was excited about getting some fresh from the bush this year. I went picking yesterday in the scorching heat, which probably wasn’t the best idea, but I really wanted to make blueberry jam. I have to say though, the blueberries I picked look nothing like their grocery store counterparts – the color is much lighter, an almost powdery blue, and they are a lot more plump. So much so that even though I made this blueberry buckle a few weeks ago with berries from the grocery store and it was perfectly delicious, I’m planning to make it again with fresh berries because I think it’ll be that much better. You can’t go wrong with this buckle for either breakfast or dessert; it’s perfect for summer entertaining!

Adapted from Cook’s Illustrated.

For the streusel:

For the cake:

To make the streusel, whisk together the flour, sugars, cardamom, and salt.

Blueberry Buckle - 1

Beat in the butter and mix on low until the mixture resembles wet sand, about 2 1/2 minutes.

Blueberry Buckle - 2

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line the bottom of an 8″ pan with parchment paper. Lightly spray the bottom and sides of the pan with cooking spray. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour and baking powder. In another medium bowl, beat the butter, sugar, salt, and lemon zest at medium speed until fluffy, about 3-4 minutes. Beat in the vanilla. Add in the eggs one at a time.

Blueberry Buckle - 3

Gradually add in the flour mixture, beating just until incorporated. Fold in the blueberries.

Blueberry Buckle - 4

Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and top with the streusel. Bake about 55 minutes or until the streusel is golden brown and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.

Blueberry Buckle - 5

Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

Posted by on July 20, 2011.

Categories: breakfast & brunch, desserts & sweets

1. Yum! This looks amazing, Tracy. I love that there is cardamom in the streusel.

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Jul 20, 2011 at 4:48 pm

2. That shot of the blueberries in the batter really is gorgeous – I’ll have to try my hand at picking some real New Jersey blueberries next year.

by Casey@Good. Food. Stories. on Jul 20, 2011 at 4:51 pm

3. I totally adore blueberry baked goods, and have been seeing buckles around lately. Yours is gorgeous! I definitely need to try it soon.

by Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker on Jul 20, 2011 at 5:55 pm

4. Looks amazing! I wanted to do some picking last weekend, but there was nothing currently available at the you-pick orchards where I was.

by Heather on Jul 20, 2011 at 7:01 pm

5. I have been totally addicted to blueberries this season This looks like it will be my next blueberry project!

by Maris(In Good Taste) on Jul 20, 2011 at 7:57 pm

6. I’ve been wanting to go blueberry picking! I’m hoping the orchards near Syracuse will still have some berries for picking. And if I go, this’ll be a great one to try!

by Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) on Jul 20, 2011 at 9:49 pm

7. Just the title makes me smile, Tracy! Any change you’ll be making this for breakfast at Amber’s next weekend? =)

by Aimee @ Simple Bites on Jul 20, 2011 at 10:04 pm

8. This looks so yummy! Blueberry Buckle was one of the first things I ever baked – way back in 6th grade home ec class!

by Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen on Jul 20, 2011 at 11:25 pm

9. Loving all the blueberry recipes I’m seeing across the internets :) This looks absolutely perfect for breakfast. Or…who am I kidding, lunch or dinner.

by cookbook queen on Jul 20, 2011 at 11:26 pm

10. Sounds like fun, I’d love to pick my own berries.

by Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen on Jul 21, 2011 at 12:02 am

11. I am all over this! Great recipe!

by Katrina on Jul 21, 2011 at 12:46 am

12. I am making this for sure! Yum!

by Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. on Jul 21, 2011 at 10:58 am

13. One of my favorite blueberry treats!

by Maria on Jul 21, 2011 at 11:23 am

14. I have 2 pints of blueberries in my fridge right now..and I have never made a buckle..such a funny name for such a delicious cake :)

by shelly (cookies and cups) on Jul 21, 2011 at 11:34 am

15. This looks great! But not until things cool down–even with both of our AC window units running all day long, the kitchen is still quite hot. The fact that you picked blueberries in yesterday’s heat just shows your extreme dedication to deliciousness. =)

by Jenna on Jul 21, 2011 at 11:44 am

16. This looks so good! I have been eating blueberries like crazy lately. I think I need to get into the kitchen and make this buckle. Mmmm! :D

by Christina @ Sweet Pea's Kitchen on Jul 21, 2011 at 12:07 pm

17. Scouting for blueberries now, my husband adores them. Perfect for this weekends lazy Sunday morning breakfast. Lemon zest is a great addition to the berries.

by Deb East of Eden Cooking on Jul 21, 2011 at 4:37 pm

18. I made this today with part cherries and part blueberries, because that’s what I had! I also linked back to your blog from mine :) Thanks for sharing!

by Kat S. on Jul 23, 2011 at 8:38 pm