Garlic Scape and Tomato Tartlets

Garlic Scape and Tomato Tartlets - 6

What the heck are garlic scapes, and what on Earth do I do with them?? Our CSA finally started up last week, and that’s exactly what I was thinking when we got a bunch of them in our share. In case you’re like me and you’ve never even seen them before, they’re the long green stalks (which is the part you eat) with bulbs on the ends in the photo below that I took of our share last week:

CSA - Week 1

The owner of our CSA told me that they’re too hard to eat raw, so they either need to be cooked or baked before eating them. I was thinking about what I might bake them into when I remembered the savory tomato pie I saw on Amber’s blog not too long ago. I had it bookmarked to make when we start getting fresh tomatoes from our CSA, but I decided that I just had to make something similar now so that I could throw in some of these garlic scapes. So, after I picked up a few tomatoes from the farmer’s market, I got to making these tartlets, which I absolutely fell in love with. If you’ve never tried garlic scapes before either, make these – and be sure to let me know what you think!

For the pâte brisée pastry (adapted from Amber’s post here and King Arthur Flour):

For the filling:

To make the pastry, whisk together the flours and salt in a medium mixing bowl. Cut in half of the butter until pea-sized pieces remain.

Garlic Scape and Tomato Tartlets - 1

Cut in the second half, leaving larger chunks. Add in the water one tablespoonful at a time, mixing the dough with your hands until it holds together.

Garlic Scape and Tomato Tartlets - 2

Flatten into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap, and then let rest for about 20 minutes. In the meantime, preheat the oven to 400 degrees spray the tartlet pans with cooking spray. When ready, roll the pastry out to about 1/4″ thick and cut to fit the pans (mine are 3″ pans). You’ll have some left over – either make more tartlets or use it for something else!

Garlic Scape and Tomato Tartlets - 3

Fill each tartlet with mozzarella cheese and then sprinkle with garlic scapes. Top with a tomato slice.

Garlic Scape and Tomato Tartlets - 4

Bake 25-30 minutes. Serve while still warm.

Garlic Scape and Tomato Tartlets - 5

Posted by on July 18, 2011.

Tags: , ,

Categories: breakfast & brunch

1. These are so adorable!

by Jessica @ How Sweet on Jul 18, 2011 at 1:36 pm

2. Tracy, these are the prettiest tartlets! The full slice of tomato on top makes such a beautiful presentation. I’ll bet they taste darn good, too.

by Cookin' Canuck on Jul 18, 2011 at 1:46 pm

3. Beautiful savory tarts!

by Maria on Jul 18, 2011 at 1:53 pm

4. Enjoying the photos and recipe. Simple enough for a weeknight with delightful summer savories.

by Deb@EastofEdenCooking on Jul 18, 2011 at 1:54 pm

5. Sometimes I slice my scapes into tiny coins and do a quick saute with corn and beans – they don’t need to be heated too much, but it does bring out the flavor. Can also puree raw into a pesto!

by Casey@Good. Food. Stories. on Jul 18, 2011 at 3:04 pm

6. Great post. Interesting and wonderful pictures. The tart looks fantastic. Come over and visit us today. We have a great grilled fruit recipe.

by carolinaheartstrings on Jul 18, 2011 at 3:23 pm

7. I’m so jealous you still have scapes! We made pesto with ours. Potent, but oh so yummy!

by Kristina on Jul 18, 2011 at 4:08 pm

8. These are the prettiest tarts. The tomato looks like a pretty flower!

by Maris(In Good Taste) on Jul 18, 2011 at 5:23 pm

9. These look fabulous and absolutely beautiful. So pretty!
    Aimee

by Aimee @ ShugarySweets on Jul 18, 2011 at 7:23 pm

10. Wow, I love these, Tracy! Totally my kind of light lunch or brunch idea. Just Pinned them. =)

by Aimee @ Simple Bites on Jul 18, 2011 at 7:44 pm

11. How cute are these?! I would gobble them up no problem!!

by Jenny Flake on Jul 18, 2011 at 8:22 pm

12. I want these for dinner and I don’t even really love tomatoes. They are are just too cute!

by Jamie | My Baking Addiction on Jul 18, 2011 at 8:44 pm

13. These are so cute! I’m convinced mini foods are calorie free. 🙂 I’d love to try this with heirloom tomatoes once I start seeing them at the farmer’s market!

by Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) on Jul 18, 2011 at 10:03 pm

14. mmm…..looks fantastic wish I could reach out and sneak one of these away with me!

by Diane {Created by Diane} on Jul 19, 2011 at 2:00 am

15. So pretty with that one tomato in the middle!

by Nuts about food on Jul 19, 2011 at 6:34 am

16. Everything about this sounds so yummy! Great idea Tracey!

by Katrina on Jul 19, 2011 at 7:29 am

17. These look so tasty!! I’ve been seeing scape around the blogosphere, but have yet to encounter it in my grocery store. Regardless, I need to try these tarts! I love how pretty the 1 slice of tomato looks on top.

by Jenna on Jul 19, 2011 at 12:21 pm

18. I love these tarts! My mom makes a homemade tomato pie that has been in our family for years; but, I love the idea of making them these cute little tarts! I will definitely have to try these out and update the family recipe!

by Danielle on Jul 19, 2011 at 2:15 pm

19. Looks really good! And the tomatoe on top looks amazing, love it!

by Valerie on Jul 19, 2011 at 4:14 pm

20. Your little tartlets are beautiful! I want one of those for dinner with a nice salad on the side.

by Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen on Jul 19, 2011 at 9:07 pm

21. How cute are these?? I love that there’s just one round tomato slice in the middle of each one. Darling (and delicious too!)

by Lori @ RecipeGirl on Jul 20, 2011 at 10:38 am

22. These are such gorgeous tarts! And now I have another idea for the garlic scapes my mom and sister have been getting from the CSA!

by Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker on Jul 20, 2011 at 6:07 pm

23. These tarts look delicious!! 🙂

by Christina @ Sweet Pea's Kitchen on Jul 20, 2011 at 6:07 pm

24. Oh, these tartlets look so amazing, Tracy… Just stunning!

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Jul 20, 2011 at 11:08 pm

25. Thank you for the inspiration on what to do with my leftover garlic scapes! I adapted this recipe to what I had around the house. Sauteed the scapes first since half of them were getting pretty tough, then diced. Used some of my leftover scape pesto mixed in a few fresh eggs (for protein) and marinated the garden tomatoes in balsamic vinegar (so I would want to eat them). Used smoked gouda instead of mozz, cause that’s what was in the house. 🙂

by Laurie on Jul 31, 2011 at 6:02 pm

26. the tartlets looked fabulous! would like to know if the pastry is able to be used for eg blueberry pie crust. 😀

by yimin on Oct 29, 2011 at 12:29 pm

27. Yimin – You can certainly use the pastry for sweet tarts or pies if you like. Hope that helps!

by Tracy on Oct 30, 2011 at 3:03 pm