Butterbeer Blondies

Butterbeer Blondies - 6

Who else is excited that the final Harry Potter movie premiers tonight? I probably wouldn’t even know it was happening if it weren’t for my sister. As I mentioned before, I had managed not to read a single one of the books or see a single one of the movies until she sucked me into a Harry Potter movie marathon a few months ago. After that, I became a fan too, as was probably her master plan all along! Tonight, we’ll be part of the throngs of people waiting outside the movie theatre for the 12am showing of the movie. I was thinking about what to bring since we’ll likely be waiting in line for a while in order to get decent seats, but the only Harry Potter-themed treat I’ve made before was the butterbeer cake I made for my sister’s birthday. I thought about using the same recipe to whip up some cupcakes, but I was worried about getting them to the theatre with their frosting still intact, so I decided to take a different route: blondies. Butterbeer blondies, to be exact. Even though these took a while to bake, they are incredibly buttery and over-the-top sweet, as I imagine the “real” butterbeer would be. If you’ll be standing in line tonight too, bring these along to snack on – they’re sure to make all the muggles jealous!

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees and spray an 8×11″ baking dish with cooking spray (you can use a 9×13″ pan; just reduce the baking time by about 10 minutes or so). In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and baking powder.

Butterbeer Blondies - 1

In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugars until smooth.

Butterbeer Blondies - 2

Add in the egg and beat for one minute. Beat in the cream soda and vanilla, and then gradually beat in the dry ingredients just until combined.

Butterbeer Blondies - 3

Using a rubber spatula, stir in the butterscotch chips.

Butterbeer Blondies - 4

Spoon the batter into the dish and spread evenly.

Butterbeer Blondies - 5

Bake 40-50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out mostly clean (the inside will still be very gooey), and the top is golden brown. The edges of mine puffed up while the middle sank down, and that’s okay – you can just trim off the edges if they end up getting a little too brown.

Butterbeer Blondies - 7

Transfer the pan to a wire rack to cool completely before cutting into bars.

Posted by on July 14, 2011.

1. You are in my head! I was planning on coming up with a butterbeer blondie recipe tonight. You did the hard part for me haha. They look perfect!

by Erin on Jul 14, 2011 at 4:32 pm

2. Whoa baby. These look amazing, Tracy. Perfect for the premiere.

by Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies on Jul 14, 2011 at 4:32 pm

3. That is fantastic! I am quite jealous of everyone seeing the movie tonight! I would love to – but husband works second shift and I’m pretty sure my 4 month old wouldn’t enjoy getting out of bed to go with momma to the movies! I’m hoping to catch HP on Sunday with the hubby – hopefully his parents will be willing to watch the baby!
    And I am so going to make these! Maybe not for the movie this weekend… BUT I will make them before seeing the movie with my life-long friend.. whom I’ve seen every HP movie in the theater with! She’ll enjoy them!

by Caylie on Jul 14, 2011 at 4:51 pm

4. Not into Harry Potter but definitely into these treats!

by Maris(In Good Taste) on Jul 14, 2011 at 5:33 pm

5. i am making these TONIGHT!! i’ve made butterbeer cuppies and they were amazing, but this…??? i’m dying waiting for my butter to soften ;)

also, if you LOVE the movies… read the books. i swear you get into them and you can read ALL of them in as little as 3 months and you will know SO MUCH MORE than the movies show you. it really is worth the read :)

by jeannette on Jul 14, 2011 at 6:23 pm

6. Those would have been perfect for the premiere! I just made triple chocolate muffins instead – not very Harry Potter related, but I don’t think my friends will care when we’re in the line for six hours.

by Alexandra on Jul 14, 2011 at 6:53 pm

7. These look delicious!! Have fun at the movie. I can’t wait to see it on Saturday. :)

by Sara on Jul 14, 2011 at 6:57 pm

8. These look so awesome! Yay for Harry Potter!

by Sarah on Jul 14, 2011 at 10:47 pm

9. I’m so excited for this movie, it’s killing me waiting!!! Awesome recipe!

by Katrina on Jul 15, 2011 at 12:39 am

10. First, these look delicious! Second, I’m so jealous! I’m in Italy with the Navy, and we won’t get Harry Potter for 2-3 weeks! No midnight premier, either. But enjoy!

by Jen on Jul 15, 2011 at 1:06 am

11. Whoa! If I knew Harry Potter was inspiration for delicious treats I might have read the books, or even seen the movies…but I suppose I am the only one left who hasn’t :(
    So I think I will make these and eat them and pretend that I know what the heck I am talking about ;)

by shelly (cookies and cups) on Jul 15, 2011 at 7:56 am

12. Such a cute idea! I kinda lost interest a few books ago, but my son might be dragging me to the last movie. Hope I understand what’s going on!

by Lori @ RecipeGirl on Jul 15, 2011 at 9:01 am

13. TRACY! These are genius! Oh, they are going right onto my “must make” list!

I hope you had a great time at the movie! I’m not sure when we are going yet…I’m not quite ready to say goodbye. ;)

(And if you ever decide to read the books, they are even BETTER than the movies!)

by bridget {bake at 350} on Jul 15, 2011 at 10:28 am

14. Awesome! We aren’t going to make it to the movies until Sunday (one of our friends is getting married, and their wedding shenanigans are happening over the course of Thursday, Friday, and Saturday). But I love the looks of these treats! Bridget posted some great-looking butterbeer cookies on her blog (Bake at 350) yesterday, so obviously I need to hop on the bandwagon.

by Jenna on Jul 15, 2011 at 10:40 am

15. I just wanted to let you know, that I made these last night and they are stellar! But I did notice that you forgot to write when combine in the flour. Not that it was hard to figure out :-)

by Erin on Jul 15, 2011 at 10:46 am

16. Arghhh, we’re not going to see HP until MONDAY (husband wants to wait till the crowds die down a bit). Guess I’ll have to make these in the meantime…

by Casey@Good. Food. Stories. on Jul 15, 2011 at 11:04 am

17. Erin – Thanks for letting me know; I’ve updated the recipe accordingly. And, I’m so glad you loved them!! :-D

by Tracy on Jul 15, 2011 at 5:25 pm

18. i noticed that you didn’t add the flour mixture anywhere in the directions. where do i add it in? after i add the vanilla?

by jeannette on Jul 15, 2011 at 6:04 pm

19. nevermind, you fixed it already :) i had this page up since yesterday and didn’t refresh before i posted my comment. i put the blondies in the oven without the flour and panicked when i saw it sitting on the counter, read the recipe 3 times to make sure i wasn’t overlooking it. well i ripped my pan out of the oven and poured the slop back into my mixing bowl and folded in the flour mixture, put it back in the pan and am baking it now. i hope it still turns out ok lol!

by jeannette on Jul 15, 2011 at 6:14 pm

20. Jeannette – I’m so sorry! I hope they still turn out okay!

by Tracy on Jul 15, 2011 at 9:12 pm

21. I am a huge Harry Potter fan. I tried to get tickets for midnight but they were sold out. My nephew went and said it was great, with people dressed up. That must have been fun. I bet these blondies were a big hit. I will definitely have to make them for my family. They wound really delicious:)

by Raina on Jul 15, 2011 at 9:40 pm

22. Ohh great idea!!! Only wished I’d seen this post so I could have made a batch to take with me to the movies to see the last movie last night!

by jess @ Multicultural Melbourne on Jul 16, 2011 at 10:37 pm

23. I’ve been looking for a good recipe and this looks like IT! Thanks! They look awesome and I will be giving this recipe a try : )

by Robert on Jul 17, 2011 at 11:17 pm

24. I LOVE blondies and these look incredible!! I would glady eat the whole batch. YUM!!! :)

by Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels on Jul 20, 2011 at 4:43 pm

25. LOVE these! We just saw the movie last night (a bit late due to our vacation)… We have some friends who are also Harry Potter obsessed. I know a movie marathon will be happening once the last one is out on DVD. I will be saving these for it! And, I’ll probably be making them now, too, because they look irresistible!

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Jul 20, 2011 at 9:27 pm

26. By 2 sticks of butter, how much are you refering to? a cup?

by Lauren Snow on Jul 21, 2011 at 12:19 pm

27. I just finished making them. They turned out great. They are super yummy. Even though I had a tiny accident taking them out of the pan, but luckly it only fell apart a bit and it was in almost the exact place I would have cut them. (funny how mistakes sometimes workout.)

by Lauren Snow on Jul 21, 2011 at 3:04 pm

28. This is my favourite blondie recipe so far! I reduced the amount of sugar though, and it was still sweet enough for me. The sides puffed up like you said, but my blondies were more cakey compared to yours which look fudgy, I wonder why? The icecream soda really did lend to the flavour too, though I don’t know how. I cute off the edges and gave a piece to our cat, and she ate it! I think she must be some sort of witch-cat or something!

by Sumaiyyah on Jul 25, 2011 at 5:33 am

29. Ooops spelling error there, I meant ‘cut off’ not ‘cute off’.

by Sumaiyyah on Jul 25, 2011 at 5:37 am

30. Despite the fact that I really dislike butterscotch I was wooed by the Harry Potter theme and decided to make them for pot luck.

Let me tell you! The creme soda and butterscotch together is DELICIOUS! I don’t like butterscotch but I love these. I will be making these again and next time I don’t know if I’ll be able to share.

Thank you.

by Celeste on Oct 12, 2011 at 4:35 pm

31. mmmm brownies, cant beat them haha,blonde ones are the best, what you reckon?:)

by christine thompson on Oct 27, 2011 at 4:54 am

32. I made these and I followed the directions exactly and it looked like a regular batter mix, but when I took it out of the oven it was bubbling and it’s basically pure liquid. I don’t get it.

by Amanda on Nov 24, 2011 at 2:00 am

33. Amanda – I’m so sorry to hear that! Without being able to look over your shoulder, it’s hard to tell what went wrong…but I’d try checking to make sure your baking soda and powder haven’t expired first, and then if the batter is still on the soupy side before your put it in the oven, I’d try adding some more flour to thicken it up a bit. I hope that helps!

by Tracy on Nov 24, 2011 at 9:53 am

34. I made these tonight, and the flavor is perfect! Exactly what I was looking for BUT I have a question!!! Lol
    Did you use a ceramic baking dish? Would you recommend metal/glass, or stick with the ceramic? Mine were a little undercooked in middle, and very crunchy on outside, yet still yummy! I want to make again, but hoping to have middle cooked more. Thank you bunches! :)

by Jennifer Wyatt on Oct 7, 2016 at 11:02 pm