Flax Seed and Honey Muffins

Flax Seed and Honey Muffins - 5

I’ve been looking for a new breakfast muffin to go with my morning coffee, and while I certainly enjoy the overly large and sweet ones (particularly blueberry) as a fun treat on the weekend, usually what I’m looking for during the week is something that won’t give me a sugar crash a half hour later. These muffins, like my oatmeal date muffins, are not overly sweet – and since they contain white whole wheat flour and flax seeds, they pack a lot of of fiber. The seeds also give this muffin a nice crunch, which I usually miss out on since I can’t throw peanuts or nuts into the batter because of my allergy. These are great to make ahead, especially on the weekend so that you can have them for breakfast all week!

• 1 1/4 cups flour
  • 1 cup white whole wheat flour
  • 1/3 cup flax seeds
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 2 Tbsp sugar
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 1 stick unsalted butter, almost melted
  • 1/3 cup honey

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and spray a muffin pan with cooking spray. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flours, flax seeds, baking soda, baking powder, sugar, and salt.

Flax Seed and Honey Muffins - 1

In another medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, butter, and honey.

Flax Seed and Honey Muffins - 2

Gradually add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix just until combined.

Flax Seed and Honey Muffins - 3

Fill each muffin tin with batter.

Flax Seed and Honey Muffins - 4

Bake 15-20 minutes or until the tops are golden brown. Let cool a few minutes in the pan before removing to a wire rack to finish cooling.

24 Responses to “Flax Seed and Honey Muffins”

1. 1 Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies Says:
    July 13th, 2011 at 11:51 am

I am sad. I only recently figured out that I’m allergic to flax. How do you think sunflower seeds would be?

2. 2 Tracy Says:
    July 13th, 2011 at 11:58 am

Amber – I think they would be wonderful! I was also thinking of trying out pumpkin seeds. Mmm.

3. 3 d.liff @ yelleBELLYboo Says:
    July 13th, 2011 at 12:02 pm

These looks superb! I’ve been looking for something new to do with flax seed.

4. 4 Maria Says:
    July 13th, 2011 at 12:23 pm

Great way to start the day!

5. 5 nancy@skinnykitchen.com Says:
    July 13th, 2011 at 12:35 pm

I love a healthy breakfast muffin too. These look yummy!

6. 6 Jenny Flake Says:
    July 13th, 2011 at 12:41 pm

Loving these! Love adding flax seed to baked goods!

7. 7 Katrina Says:
    July 13th, 2011 at 1:12 pm

This is a great idea! I love healthy breakfast muffins. Yum!

8. 8 carolinaheartstrings Says:
    July 13th, 2011 at 4:07 pm

I am always looking for a good muffin with lots of fiber. Thanks for sharing this one.

9. 9 Lindsey @ Why Just Eat Says:
    July 13th, 2011 at 7:25 pm

These look delish! Wonder how they would be with chia seeds as the only flax I have is ground. Also wondering if they would still be yummy if I subbed applesauce for the butter (I’m on WW). I’ll let you know!

10. 10 Maris(In Good Taste) Says:
    July 13th, 2011 at 8:10 pm

So happy to have a healthy muffin that i know will be really delicious since it is from you!

11. 11 Mary Lynn Says:
    July 14th, 2011 at 9:11 am

I, too, miss the crunch due to allergies. Great idea.

12. 12 Jenna Says:
    July 14th, 2011 at 10:25 am

Mmm. You’re putting me in the mood to do some baking this weekend! With a little homemade strawberry jam from my sister on top, these could be part of my life for the next week . . .

13. 13 Jane Says:
    July 14th, 2011 at 11:46 am

Could you use ground flax seeds? If so would you use the same amount?? I vet the seeds already ground up so thought I’d try it with them sounds so good!

14. 14 Paula at Dishing The Divine Says:
    July 14th, 2011 at 12:41 pm

Must be muffin season! I just posted a healthy oatmeal chocolate chip muffin yesterday and people were all over it. :)

15. 15 Tracy Says:
    July 14th, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Lindsey – I’m sure they would be great with chia seeds! Let me know how they turn out with the applesauce!

Jane – Sure, you can use ground flax seeds! You won’t get the crunch from the whole seeds, but you’ll still get all the nutrients! :-)

16. 16 Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen Says:
    July 14th, 2011 at 8:54 pm

That’s funny I just read Lindsey’s comment and was actually thinking about chia seeds too. I’ve been enjoying flax, chia and hemp seeds lately.

17. 17 Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) Says:
    July 16th, 2011 at 5:57 pm

These look delicious, Tracy! And I bet they have a lot of staying power, too. Ideal for weekdays!

18. 18 Katie M Says:
    July 16th, 2011 at 8:51 pm

I know what I’m making tomorrow! And I happen to have all of the ingredients on hand so I don’t even have to make a trip to the store.

19. 19 Cookin' Canuck Says:
    July 19th, 2011 at 12:41 am

This is the kind of muffin that I need to stock my freezer with – healthy, tasty.

20. 20 Robert Says:
    July 19th, 2011 at 9:06 am

omg that looks so good. I’ll be craving? it until i can get to the store…thanks for this recipe!

21. 21 ann Says:
    August 10th, 2012 at 11:38 pm

It does look great and healthy, but it really isn’t a allergy friendly recipe! There’s no shortage of baked good recipes if you can using eggs and wheat, please provide real allergen-free recipes here. Thanks.

22. 22 Tracy Says:
    August 11th, 2012 at 5:48 pm

Ann – While the recipes I provide do not contain peanuts or nuts since I am allergic to them, I do not typically bake gluten-free or dairy-free. Sorry for the confusion!

23. 23 Shera Says:
    February 10th, 2013 at 1:47 pm

These were one of my favorite muffins I’ve ever made. I made a few substituions though – I split the butter and subbed half with sugar free natural applesauce, used regular whole wheat flour and sea salt for the salt. Amazing and healthy! Thanks for the recipe!

24. 24 Steph Says:
    January 9th, 2014 at 3:13 pm

I just made these with ground flax. Coconut oil instead of butter and almond milk instead of cow milk. They are delicious and dairy free :)