Flax Seed and Honey Muffins

Flax Seed and Honey Muffins - 5

I’ve been looking for a new breakfast muffin to go with my morning coffee, and while I certainly enjoy the overly large and sweet ones (particularly blueberry) as a fun treat on the weekend, usually what I’m looking for during the week is something that won’t give me a sugar crash a half hour later. These muffins, like my oatmeal date muffins, are not overly sweet – and since they contain white whole wheat flour and flax seeds, they pack a lot of of fiber. The seeds also give this muffin a nice crunch, which I usually miss out on since I can’t throw peanuts or nuts into the batter because of my allergy. These are great to make ahead, especially on the weekend so that you can have them for breakfast all week!

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and spray a muffin pan with cooking spray.Β In a medium bowl, whisk together the flours, flax seeds, baking soda, baking powder, sugar, and salt.

Flax Seed and Honey Muffins - 1

In another medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, butter, and honey.

Flax Seed and Honey Muffins - 2

Gradually add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix just until combined.

Flax Seed and Honey Muffins - 3

Fill each muffin tin with batter.

Flax Seed and Honey Muffins - 4

Bake 15-20 minutes or until the tops are golden brown. Let cool a few minutes in the pan before removing to a wire rack to finish cooling.

Posted by on July 13, 2011.

Categories: breakfast & brunch

1. I am sad. I only recently figured out that I’m allergic to flax. How do you think sunflower seeds would be?

by Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies on Jul 13, 2011 at 11:51 am

2. Amber – I think they would be wonderful! I was also thinking of trying out pumpkin seeds. Mmm.

by Tracy on Jul 13, 2011 at 11:58 am

3. These looks superb! I’ve been looking for something new to do with flax seed.

by d.liff @ yelleBELLYboo on Jul 13, 2011 at 12:02 pm

4. Great way to start the day!

by Maria on Jul 13, 2011 at 12:23 pm

5. I love a healthy breakfast muffin too. These look yummy!

by nancy@skinnykitchen.com on Jul 13, 2011 at 12:35 pm

6. Loving these! Love adding flax seed to baked goods!

by Jenny Flake on Jul 13, 2011 at 12:41 pm

7. This is a great idea! I love healthy breakfast muffins. Yum!

by Katrina on Jul 13, 2011 at 1:12 pm

8. I am always looking for a good muffin with lots of fiber. Thanks for sharing this one.

by carolinaheartstrings on Jul 13, 2011 at 4:07 pm

9. These look delish! Wonder how they would be with chia seeds as the only flax I have is ground. Also wondering if they would still be yummy if I subbed applesauce for the butter (I’m on WW). I’ll let you know!

by Lindsey @ Why Just Eat on Jul 13, 2011 at 7:25 pm

10. So happy to have a healthy muffin that i know will be really delicious since it is from you!

by Maris(In Good Taste) on Jul 13, 2011 at 8:10 pm

11. I, too, miss the crunch due to allergies. Great idea.

by Mary Lynn on Jul 14, 2011 at 9:11 am

12. Mmm. You’re putting me in the mood to do some baking this weekend! With a little homemade strawberry jam from my sister on top, these could be part of my life for the next week . . .

by Jenna on Jul 14, 2011 at 10:25 am

13. Could you use ground flax seeds? If so would you use the same amount?? I vet the seeds already ground up so thought I’d try it with them sounds so good!

by Jane on Jul 14, 2011 at 11:46 am

14. Must be muffin season! I just posted a healthy oatmeal chocolate chip muffin yesterday and people were all over it. πŸ™‚

by Paula at Dishing The Divine on Jul 14, 2011 at 12:41 pm

15. Lindsey – I’m sure they would be great with chia seeds! Let me know how they turn out with the applesauce!

Jane – Sure, you can use ground flax seeds! You won’t get the crunch from the whole seeds, but you’ll still get all the nutrients! πŸ™‚

by Tracy on Jul 14, 2011 at 2:20 pm

16. That’s funny I just read Lindsey’s comment and was actually thinking about chia seeds too. I’ve been enjoying flax, chia and hemp seeds lately.

by Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen on Jul 14, 2011 at 8:54 pm

17. These look delicious, Tracy! And I bet they have a lot of staying power, too. Ideal for weekdays!

by Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) on Jul 16, 2011 at 5:57 pm

18. I know what I’m making tomorrow! And I happen to have all of the ingredients on hand so I don’t even have to make a trip to the store.

by Katie M on Jul 16, 2011 at 8:51 pm

19. This is the kind of muffin that I need to stock my freezer with – healthy, tasty.

by Cookin' Canuck on Jul 19, 2011 at 12:41 am

20. omg that looks so good. I’ll be craving? it until i can get to the store…thanks for this recipe!

by Robert on Jul 19, 2011 at 9:06 am

21. It does look great and healthy, but it really isn’t a allergy friendly recipe! There’s no shortage of baked good recipes if you can using eggs and wheat, please provide real allergen-free recipes here. Thanks.

by ann on Aug 10, 2012 at 11:38 pm

22. Ann – While the recipes I provide do not contain peanuts or nuts since I am allergic to them, I do not typically bake gluten-free or dairy-free. Sorry for the confusion!

by Tracy on Aug 11, 2012 at 5:48 pm

23. These were one of my favorite muffins I’ve ever made. I made a few substituions though – I split the butter and subbed half with sugar free natural applesauce, used regular whole wheat flour and sea salt for the salt. Amazing and healthy! Thanks for the recipe!

by Shera on Feb 10, 2013 at 1:47 pm

24. I just made these with ground flax. Coconut oil instead of butter and almond milk instead of cow milk. They are delicious and dairy free πŸ™‚

by Steph on Jan 9, 2014 at 3:13 pm