Strawberry & Wine Jam

Strawberry & Wine Jam

I hope you all had a happy and safe 4th of July! It took a little longer than usual this year, but strawberry season finally arrived. As soon as we could, my baking friend Becky and I headed out to a local you-pick place, where we both picked a ton of berries – if you saw the photo I posted on Facebook, you’ll see that we weren’t messing around! I picked about 13 quarts of strawberries for jam and pie, as well as some to freeze for later. I had to make a batch of strawberry-vanilla bean jam first, since everyone I gave some to last year totally flipped over it…but of course, I also had to try a couple new variations – spiced strawberry jam, and my new favorite, this strawberry and wine jam. I used my favorite red wine made by a local vineyard – nothing fancy or pricey, just a good solid table wine – and I am in love with this pairing of sweet berries and dry wine. I can’t wait to see how the flavor changes with different types of wine…the possibilities are endless! Give it a try with your own favorite wine!

Measure and hull 8 cups of whole strawberries and rinse them well. In a baking dish, use a potato masher to crush the berries. Repeat in batches until you have 5 cups of crushed strawberries. In a large pot, stir together the crushed strawberries, lemon juice, and wine. Whisk in the pectin until dissolved, and then bring to a rolling boil. Add the sugar all at once and return to a full boil. Boil hard 1-2 minutes. Remove from the heat and skim off the foam.

When ready to can, prepare your supplies. Bring the temperature of the glass jars up by processing them in hot water for several minutes. Heat a few cups of water in a small saucepan for the lids. When the jars are ready, fill them with the jam and place the lids and bands on top, screwing on the bands just to fingertip-tight. Place the full jars back into the boiling water and boil 10 minutes. Remove from the water and place the jars on a towel, and let the jars cool. The seals should suck down (you’ll hear a popping noise as they do). Makes 8 eight-ounce jars or 16 four-ounce jars.

Posted by on July 5, 2011.

Tags: , ,

Categories: canning

1. This jam looks so yummy! The perfect combination!

by Katrina on Jul 5, 2011 at 12:46 am

2. love the strawberry and wine combination ! the jars look adorable

by A Spoonful of YUMM ! on Jul 5, 2011 at 3:00 am

3. The wine must make this over the top fabulous!

by Maris(In Good Taste) on Jul 5, 2011 at 4:29 am

4. Strawberries AND wine?! YUUUUMMM!!!! What a great idea!

by jess? @ Multicultural Melbourne on Jul 5, 2011 at 6:08 am

5. Would absolutely love this!

by Jessica @ How Sweet on Jul 5, 2011 at 6:33 am

6. Nice! I like the idea of strawberries and red wine together like this.

by Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen on Jul 5, 2011 at 8:29 am

7. Strawberries and wine sound like a lovely pair.

by Wendi @ Bon Appetit Hon on Jul 5, 2011 at 8:43 am

8. Mmm! My sister did a bunch of canning and recently gave us a jar of strawberry jam. WOW. It’s so good I could eat it straight out of the jar for dessert! (or at any time, really =)

by Jenna on Jul 5, 2011 at 11:27 am

9. Tracy, this looks SO so good. I have got to conquer jam this summer.

by Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies on Jul 5, 2011 at 11:39 am

10. This sounds delightful, sort of like balsamic vinegar and strawberries.

by Shaina on Jul 5, 2011 at 3:44 pm

11. wow does that sound fantastic. Great picture!

by carolinaheartstrings on Jul 5, 2011 at 3:56 pm

12. I’m up to my ears in strawberries right now. Love this recipe!!

by Aimee @ Simple Bites on Jul 5, 2011 at 5:01 pm

13. Oooh… Love this! Adding wine to strawberry jam is just perfect! We don’t have many local strawberries here anymore, but I’m thinking of lots of other ways to use wine in my canning now!

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Jul 5, 2011 at 6:36 pm

14. What a good idea – would never have thought to put wine in jam!

by Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) on Jul 5, 2011 at 10:13 pm

15. Oh my does this jam look and sound soooo good. I love that you added red wine to the jam. I bet it tastes amazing! 🙂

by Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels on Jul 6, 2011 at 6:24 am

16. Love this idea! Never thought about wine in my jelly. Your pics are beautiful!

by Aimee @ ShugarySweets on Jul 6, 2011 at 3:34 pm

17. Your jam ideas are fantastic, Tracy! I can imagine how good this is.

by Cookin' Canuck on Jul 6, 2011 at 5:47 pm

18. This sounds really great, interesting with wine in it. I am going to go strawberry picking too and then come home and make one of your wonderful jams:)

by Raina on Jul 6, 2011 at 10:29 pm

19. Yummy! I want….right now!

by Jenny Flake on Jul 7, 2011 at 12:33 pm

20. Ah! such a great idea!!! I love it!

by Katie on Jul 7, 2011 at 1:05 pm

21. MMM!!! I can’t say I’ve ever had Strawberry Jam with win, but I’m totally wanting some of my own! Love this!!

by Kim - Liv Life on Jul 17, 2011 at 11:31 pm

22. Strawberries and WINE! This sounds great! I have got to start canning.

by Aggie on Jul 18, 2011 at 8:13 am

23. Love making strawberry jam! I put mine in those tiny jars too! 🙂

by The Cilantropist on Jul 19, 2011 at 1:13 am

24. This was wonderful! I’m finding it a year later, but made two batches last night with a bit of red wine which had flattened in the bottle in the bottom drawer of my fridge. Absolutely amazing! Thank you…

by Shannon on May 17, 2012 at 12:49 pm