Basic Potato Salad

Basic Potato Salad - 4

This basic potato salad recipe is sort of a follow-up to my basic pasta salad recipe (I say sort of because I posted that recipe last summer – time flies!). It’s a simple, base recipe that you can add to or change up according to what you like best. For me, I’m not a fan of potato salads that are dripping in mayonnaise – I prefer a light coating of mayonnaise dressing so that the potatoes and other ingredients can shine through. This is the basic recipe I use, which I change up every now and then depending on what I’m in the mood for or what I have on hand…sometimes I’ll add broccoli for a nice crunch, other times a couple hard-boiled eggs, or I might substitute diced ham for bacon, but it’s always my go-to recipe. Make it on Monday for your 4th of July get-together, and have a happy and safe holiday weekend!

Boil the potatoes until you can pierce them easily with a fork. Drain and let cool. (You can peel them first, but I like to leave the skins on).

Basic Potato Salad - 3

Dice the celery, onion, and green pepper.

Basic Potato Salad - 1

In a skillet over medium heat, cook the bacon until crisp. Remove to a paper towel to drain.

Basic Potato Salad - 2

In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, mustard, salt, and pepper. Set aside. In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients. Stir to coat with the mayonnaise mixture.

Basic Potato Salad - 4

Cover and refrigerate 2 hours before serving.

Posted by on July 1, 2011.

Categories: soups, salads, & sides

1. Well simple or not it looks fabulous! So does the basic pasta salad. Yum!

by Katrina on Jul 1, 2011 at 1:08 am

2. Absolutely perfect recipe for a picnic or anytime! Have a safe and happy 4th!

by Maris(In Good Taste) on Jul 1, 2011 at 5:05 am

3. Perfect for the 4th!

by Jessica @ How Sweet on Jul 1, 2011 at 6:37 am

4. this sounds delicious Tracy!!

by TidyMom on Jul 1, 2011 at 7:45 am

5. Everyone needs a basic potato salad recipe. Looks awesome.

by Lori @ RecipeGirl on Jul 1, 2011 at 9:58 am

6. I couldn’t agree more about the light coating of mayo! The grocery store potato salads invariably gross me out–I feel like it’s mostly mayo in there. I like it when the potatoes really shine through!

by Jenna on Jul 1, 2011 at 10:46 am

7. I never ever tire of trying different potato salad recipes 🙂 And this one looks addicting!!

by Tickled Red on Jul 1, 2011 at 10:57 am

8. I love any kind of potato salad, and yours sounds great! Thanks for a great idea of adding different ingredients. I am going to try this.

by teri@thefreshmancook on Jul 2, 2011 at 12:58 am

9. Simply a classic! You can’t go wrong with a salad like this. Happy 4th to you!!

by Kim - Liv Life on Jul 3, 2011 at 10:59 am

10. Hard-boiled eggs, mayo, and bacon – potatoes never had it so good. I might have to make some of this for the coming week.

by Casey@Good. Food. Stories. on Jul 3, 2011 at 6:53 pm

11. The addition of dijon is perfect! Yum!

by Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies on Jul 3, 2011 at 7:19 pm

12. I am a bacon in potato salad type of gal myself! Love this.

by Jamie | My Baking Addiction on Jul 3, 2011 at 8:15 pm

13. This looks delicious! Believe it or not, potato salad is one of those dishes that I’m afraid of… Mine never turns out right. I’m feeling inspired to give it another try now, though!

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Jul 5, 2011 at 8:50 am