Nutella Crunch Brownies

Nutella Crunch Brownies - 7

I keep thinking that I’m over my nutella kick, but the fact is that I have so much lost time to make up for that I know I’m just going to keep experimenting with new recipes every chance I get. So, when I saw these over at Crustabakes, I knew I’d be making them as soon as I could get my hands on some chocolate rice cereal. I adapted the recipe somewhat, including using 2 eggs for the brownie base rather than 3 because I’m not a huge fan of “cakey” brownies – and what I discovered was that after a few days in the refrigerator (hubby doesn’t like nutella, or I’m sure they wouldn’t have lasted that long!) the brownie part basically solidified into fudge. I found it glorious, but after they’ve chilled, I don’t think these even need to be stored in the refrigerator if you don’t want them to be THAT fudgey. If you’re going to store them in the refrigerator like I did though, I’d recommend letting them sit out on the counter for 15 minutes or so before eating. And make sure you cut a small slice because they’re very rich. Enjoy!

Adapted from here.

For the brownies:

For the topping:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray an 8×8″ pan with cooking spray. In a microwave-safe bowl, microwave the chocolate and butter until melted.

Nutella Crunch Brownies - 1
Stir in the sugar, and then beat in the eggs and vanilla with a whisk. Add in the flour.

Nutella Crunch Brownies - 2

Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake 30-40 minutes or until the edges are set.

Nutella Crunch Brownies - 4

While the brownies are baking, make the topping. Combine the chocolate chips, nutella, and butter in a medium sauce pan. Cook over low heat until melted and the mixture is smooth. Remove from the heat and stir in the cereal.

Nutella Crunch Brownies - 3

Spread the cereal mixture evenly over the top of the brownies, if you haven’t eaten half of it yet like I almost did.

Nutella Crunch Brownies - 5

Refrigerate until set before cutting. (As you can see, I couldn’t wait that long. Worth it.)

Nutella Crunch Brownies - 6

Posted by on June 17, 2011.

Tags: , ,

1. I adore Nutella… YUM!

by Liz @ BLog is the New Black on Jun 17, 2011 at 11:27 am

2. OMG OMG OMG!

These look ridiculous in the best way possible. I am so with you on the fudgy brownie thing. Uh huh.

by JenniferA on Jun 17, 2011 at 11:31 am

3. We’re going to have to get you a Nutella 12 step program! Love these though, what a great idea to add chocolate rice cereal to brownies.

by Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies on Jun 17, 2011 at 11:42 am

4. What?! These look so good!

by Jenny Flake on Jun 17, 2011 at 11:49 am

5. These look absolutely incredible. I’m sure these wouldn’t last more than a day at my house.

by Cookin' Canuck on Jun 17, 2011 at 1:05 pm

6. I love the crunch topping!

by Maria on Jun 17, 2011 at 1:31 pm

7. This is a chocolate lovers fantasty! Bookmarked!

by Maris (In Good Taste) on Jun 17, 2011 at 1:40 pm

8. Oh wow! These look absolutely decadent and delicious!

by Raina on Jun 17, 2011 at 1:48 pm

9. Mmm love this idea! I can’t get chocolate rice cereal in Switzerland, but I’m sure this would work with regular rice krispies too, right? Or would you need to add more since they’re a bit smaller? Either way, these look awesome!

by Katrina on Jun 17, 2011 at 2:03 pm

10. I actually think I have most of these ingredients at home – I just bought some nutella. Must make this weekend!!

by d.liff @ yelleBELLYboo on Jun 17, 2011 at 2:29 pm

11. These look amazing. I’m a big Nutella fan, too!

by Heather on Jun 17, 2011 at 3:01 pm

12. Now these would be right up my ‘I don’t love Nutella from a spoon’ alley. I like it as part of a dish and this absolutely qualifies!

by Barbara | Creative Culinary on Jun 17, 2011 at 3:25 pm

13. These look so crispy and delicious!

by Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker on Jun 17, 2011 at 3:47 pm

14. Firstly, it’s not possible to get over, and secondly, with recipes like this, why would you want to?! Yummm!!

by jess? @ Multicultural Melbourne on Jun 18, 2011 at 1:32 am

15. These look fantastic! My husband is the opposite of yours and adores Nutella. These would disappear fast in my house! :)

by Baking Serendipity on Jun 19, 2011 at 6:14 pm

16. I’m right there with you on the Nutella kick! I could eat the whole pan of these, rich or not!

by Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen on Jun 19, 2011 at 8:20 pm

17. Oh my word these brownies look so insanely delicious. I love brownies and I love Nutella but the topping makes them even more amazing. I’m in love with this recipe. :)

by Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels on Jun 20, 2011 at 7:50 am

18. droolworthy !! it looks soooo yummy :D

by A Spoonful of YUMM ! on Jun 20, 2011 at 2:56 pm

19. Might be rich but this looks delicious! I have to stay away from Nutella though. I buy a jar with every good-natured intention of putting it into something and all I end up doing is putting it on spoon and into my mouth.

by Misa on Jun 20, 2011 at 2:59 pm

20. OMG. This looks so wonderful. I am a Nutella freak!!!

by carolinaheartstrings on Jun 20, 2011 at 3:00 pm

21. Sorry to break it to you, but you don’t ever get over Nutella, lol. At least I haven’t yet. Love those little crunchies!

by Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen on Jun 20, 2011 at 8:05 pm

22. how much does 1 1/2 sticks of unsalted butter weigh? as mine come in 250g blocks. would love to make this recipe asap.

by michelle atherton on Jun 21, 2011 at 12:27 pm

23. My God!… As the nutelladdict that I am and speaking for every member of my house, thank you! Gunna get that chocolate nutella fix for sure with these.

by Roxana H. on Jun 21, 2011 at 2:41 pm

24. Oh, these look great! I have a big economy sized jar of Nutella in my pantry just waiting for a recipe like this :)

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Jun 22, 2011 at 9:01 pm

25. Oh Tracy! These look amazing! Nutella is my fave. Absolute fave.

by Karenpie on Jun 24, 2011 at 3:44 pm

26. I made these today…. WOW! So good!!!! Thanks for the recipe!

by JB on Jun 26, 2011 at 10:34 pm

27. Tried these tonight to take to a party and they were a huge hit! Thanks!

by Torrey on Dec 9, 2011 at 3:08 am

28. Could you use a box brownie mix and just make the topping? Or do you think the recipe above complements the topping better in some way? Looks delicious!

by SS on Mar 1, 2012 at 9:24 pm

29. SS – You can use a box mix! Happy baking! :-)

by Tracy on Mar 2, 2012 at 11:32 am

30. Hi there!
    Have been lurking on your site for a while now but never left a message..I love your posts! I also love cooking..but never could muster enough courage to bake. Your posts and pictures did it and I finally picked up the spatula :)
    Just wanted to say..Thank you! And keep posting please!

by Parul on Feb 9, 2013 at 9:24 pm

31. They look amazingly delicious !

by kushi on Jan 6, 2016 at 10:08 pm