Italian-Style Quinoa Salad

Italian-Style Quinoa Salad - 5

If you came to my site yesterday, you may have seen a page that had “Account Suspended” plastered across the top. Unfortunately, that was my first indication that something was wrong as well – I was in the middle of a post when suddenly my screen froze and I was directed to that page. Apparently, approximately 2 minutes before my site was taken down and my access was revoked, a “warning” e-mail was sent to me by my host telling me that my account was utilizing an excessive amount of system resources…I was finding out the hard way that unlimited space and bandwidth does indeed have limits in the fine print. It took about 6 hours of waiting around for them to finally give me access back, and while suffice it to say that I was not treated very nicely, I made each of the changes they required so hopefully everything is all set now – and don’t worry, they’re all behind-the-scenes changes, so you shouldn’t notice anything different with my site. All that said, I just have to say that despite the way it was handled by my host, I am beyond thrilled that my “problem” was simply more visitors to my little corner of the Web – and I just want to say thank you so much for reading!

Now, on to the food. Salad is one of my favorite things to make in the summer – fruit salad, pasta salad, and my personal favorite, potato salad – they all top my list of things to bring to grill-outs and gatherings because they’re so easy to make, and because they usually go pretty quickly. That got me thinking, why not sneak in some extra nutrients and bring a quinoa salad? I whipped up another batch of the Mediterranean quinoa salad I made a while back, but of course I also had to experiment with a new version, this Italian-style one with roasted garlic. I think the only thing I would change about this salad is that next time, I’ll definitely add in some spicy pepperoni for a little extra kick. Give it a try as a side for your next barbeque, and let me know what you think!

Cook the quinoa according to package directions. Drain and set aside.

Italian-Style Quinoa Salad - 1

To roast the garlic, preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Peel off the outer skin and cut 1/2″ off the top of the head of garlic so that the garlic cloves are exposed. Drizzle with the olive oil, and then cover with aluminum foil. Bake 30-35 minutes or until soft. Remove the cloves from their skins.

Italian-Style Quinoa Salad - 2

In a large bowl, mix together all of the ingredients except the cheese.

Italian-Style Quinoa Salad - 3

Chill in the refrigerator or let come to room temperature before adding the cheese – otherwise, the cheese may begin to melt from the heat of the roasted garlic.

Italian-Style Quinoa Salad - 4

Serve at room temperature.

Italian-Style Quinoa Salad - 5

Posted by on June 15, 2011.

Tags:

Categories: soups, salads, & sides

1. Yum! That looks delicious! I love red quinoa

by Lindsay @Eat, Knit, Grow on Jun 15, 2011 at 11:41 am

2. Mmm~! That looks so good and healthy! I must try this one sometime!

by Misa on Jun 15, 2011 at 12:32 pm

3. That looks like a perfect lunch…off to see if I have the ingredients! Thank you for sharing~
    Aimee

by Aimee on Jun 15, 2011 at 12:45 pm

4. I was wondering what happened yesterday! So glad to hear you have more readers now though. Good news! I know I’ve told my friends about you and referred them to a few of your recipes 🙂

This salad looks really lovely. Thanks!

by Katrina on Jun 15, 2011 at 1:20 pm

5. Sorry about your blog problems! But glad they’re resolved. =)
    The salad looks great, especially the chunks of cheese . . . mmmm . . . and of course, anything with roasted garlic is a sure pleaser for me!

by Jenna on Jun 15, 2011 at 1:25 pm

6. Quinoa is something I’ve been meaning to mess around with recently. I had a friend make a Spanish style quinoa and it was delicious!

This one looks amazing, especially the chunks of mozzarella, how can you go wrong! I need to get a start on making that!

by Krafty Keely on Jun 15, 2011 at 1:26 pm

7. So sorry you had so much trouble. But I am glad you are back with this awesome salad!

by Maris(In Good Taste) on Jun 15, 2011 at 4:25 pm

8. This sounds really good… Love the Italian flavors!

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Jun 15, 2011 at 5:25 pm

9. This looks so good! I’ve never had red quinoa, I can’t wait to give it a try!

by Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker on Jun 15, 2011 at 5:25 pm

10. I love quinoa. Great salad!

by Maria on Jun 15, 2011 at 6:41 pm

11. Oh gosh – I struggle so much with my own tiny blog, I can only imagine what it’s like when you’re on a much larger scale! Glad you’ve got things sorted out though.

I really need to make quinoa – I always grab a little bit when I’m at the food bar in Wegmans, but I’ve never actually prepared it myself!

by Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) on Jun 15, 2011 at 9:28 pm

12. YUMMY!

by Sonia Rumzi on Jun 15, 2011 at 9:46 pm

13. I will def try that! I make a Quinoa salad that is an alternative to pasta salad you might like to try. I use equal amounts of Quinoa and Cous Cous. a 1/2 of a small red onion, 1 cup edemame, 1 cup cooked corn kernals , grape tomatoes, salt and pepper I then dress it with olive oil and vinegar so good.

by colleen on Jun 16, 2011 at 10:44 am

14. You know I have never made quinoa before?? Guess it’s time to change that! I’m so glad to hear your blog is safe and sound:)

by Lucy@The Sweet Touch on Jun 16, 2011 at 9:50 pm

15. Thanks for the recipe Colleen! I will definitely give it a try!

by Tracy on Jun 20, 2011 at 1:38 pm

16. I’m sorry you had problems with your site – I know that can be a panic-stricken moment. But, it looks as though you are back on track with this salad. I adore quinoa and am always happy to find a new way to prepare it.

by Cookin' Canuck on Jun 21, 2011 at 12:12 am