Cast Iron Skillet Chocolate Chip Cookie

Cast Iron Skillet Chocolate Chip Cookie - 7

Having finally learned how to use and care for my cast iron skillet, my next step was to use it to bake something sweet, of course! For quite a while, I’ve been dreaming about making a giant chocolate chip cookie in a cast iron skillet…and not too long ago, I finally made those dreams come true. This huge cookie is soft and chewy in the middle and crispy on the edges – perfection in my book, and I’m not even a crispy cookie kinda gal. Just like drop cookies, this dough comes together in a matter of minutes, except it’s even easier since you simply press all of the dough into the skillet and bake. This is a great dessert to serve to guests with ice cream, whipped cream, or chocolate or caramel sauce. If you have a cast iron skillet, give this a try…and if you don’t, put one on your wish list – you’ll be glad you did!

• 2 cups flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1 3/4 cups chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 10″ cast iron skillet lightly with vegetable oil. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt.

Cast Iron Skillet Chocolate Chip Cookie - 1

In another medium bowl, cream together the butter and sugars. Beat about 2 minutes.

Cast Iron Skillet Chocolate Chip Cookie - 2

Add in the egg and vanilla. Beat 2 minutes longer.

Cast Iron Skillet Chocolate Chip Cookie - 3

Gradually add the flour mixture to the butter mixture until well-combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.

Cast Iron Skillet Chocolate Chip Cookie - 4

Press the dough into the skillet as evenly as you can.

Cast Iron Skillet Chocolate Chip Cookie - 5

Bake about 40 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned.

Cast Iron Skillet Chocolate Chip Cookie - 6

Transfer the skillet to a wire rack to cool. When ready to serve, cut into wedges. Add a scoop of your favorite ice cream on top while it’s still warm!

Cast Iron Skillet Chocolate Chip Cookie - 8

52 Responses to “Cast Iron Skillet Chocolate Chip Cookie”

1. 1 DessertForTwo Says:
    June 10th, 2011 at 12:16 am

I have no doubt that this is amazing–1 1/2 sticks of butter?! Sign me up! :)

2. 2 emily @ the happy home Says:
    June 10th, 2011 at 12:18 am

there’s something just so gorgeous about chocolate chip cookie batter. that looks SO cool!

3. 3 Jenni Says:
    June 10th, 2011 at 12:41 am

Yay! I’m so glad you love your cast iron skillet!! I seriously swear by them! I’ll have to try the cookie! I once did an apple pie in mine, on the grill!

4. 4 Jerra Says:
    June 10th, 2011 at 12:48 am

How do you avoid the weird “tinny” taste? Mine usually gives my cornbread an odd taste – I haven’t really tired anything else besides frying in it.

5. 5 Margie Says:
    June 10th, 2011 at 1:01 am

I’ve been baking in my cast iron skillet for years. My favorite thing to bake is Pineapple Upside Down Cake. I also bake corn bread of course. I can honestly say I have never come close to tasting anything near a ‘tinny’ taste nor have I ever heard of that!

6. 6 Maris (In Good Taste) Says:
    June 10th, 2011 at 5:05 am

I cannot think of a better use for your cast iron skillet!

7. 7 Jessica @ How Sweet Says:
    June 10th, 2011 at 6:39 am

This looks absolutely fabulous Tracy!

8. 8 Renee @KudosKitchen Says:
    June 10th, 2011 at 8:16 am

What a super idea Tracy! I can only imagine the wonderfully crispy edges and soft center. I’ll definitely have to try this. I have a cast iron skillet and hardly ever use it. Come to think of it, it’ll bet this would work super well on the outside grill too. Hmmmm. Running off to try it…

9. 9 Sara K.B. Says:
    June 10th, 2011 at 8:49 am

Oh my. That looks truly fabulous. I’m going to need to make that asap. Maybe for Father’s Day.

10. 10 Victoria (District Chocoholic) Says:
    June 10th, 2011 at 8:53 am

This is a really cool idea. Next up: cast iron skillet brownies :)

11. 11 bridget {bake at 350} Says:
    June 10th, 2011 at 8:53 am

A warm from the oven chocolate chip cookie is my FAVORITE dessert! And a BIG one from a skillet? Even better!

12. 12 Kate Says:
    June 10th, 2011 at 9:37 am

Oh my word, that looks amazing! I have my grandmothers cast iron skillet and I use it for everything. What a fab dessert. Who doesn’t like a chocolate chip cookie? Definitely trying this!

13. 13 Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels Says:
    June 10th, 2011 at 9:37 am

Oh my goodness I HAVE to make this!! I love the idea of making a giant chocolate chip cookie in a cast skillet. This looks soooooo good. :)

14. 14 Andrea @ From the Bookshelf Says:
    June 10th, 2011 at 10:37 am

This looks amazing! What a great way to bake a cookie!

15. 15 teri@thefreshmancook Says:
    June 10th, 2011 at 10:40 am

Yum Yum Yum!! This looks amazing. I am sure it tastes amazing!
    2 great combinations, chocolate chip cookie dough & a cast iron skillet. What could be better? I Can’t wait to make this!! Thanks!

16. 16 Tickled Red Says:
    June 10th, 2011 at 11:02 am

Sigh…these look heavenly this morning :) Is it break time yet?

17. 17 Jenna Says:
    June 10th, 2011 at 11:05 am

OOOOOH!! I think I can convince my husband to make this for us. He adores our cast iron cookware AND he loves chocolate chip cookies and bakes them at least twice a month. I’ll start working on him immediately. =)

18. 18 Jenny Flake Says:
    June 10th, 2011 at 11:17 am

One of my very favorite ways to make chocolate chip cookies!! Looks great!

19. 19 Lori @ RecipeGirl Says:
    June 10th, 2011 at 11:19 am

Yum! I’d want to eat it by the spoonful- right out of the pan!

20. 20 thepickyeater Says:
    June 10th, 2011 at 12:28 pm

wow…this is great ! new to me

21. 21 Paula at Dishing The Divine Says:
    June 10th, 2011 at 12:32 pm

This looks soooooooo yummy! Just this past christmas I bought loads of cast iron and stainless steel to replace my non-stick. Seems I use the cast iron as much as I do the stainless steel! It’s so versatile and I love it! I can’t wait to try these cookies! They look soooo good!

22. 22 Maria Says:
    June 10th, 2011 at 12:41 pm

This is the perfect dessert in my book!

23. 23 alex Says:
    June 10th, 2011 at 3:08 pm

I recently bought 2 mini cast iron skillets at Crate & Barrel for exactly this reason! I had this as a dessert at a restaurant once and I absolutely loved it! Nothing beats a warm cookie and ice cream~

24. 24 Sonia Rumzi Says:
    June 10th, 2011 at 3:08 pm

Woohooo! My husband loves chocolate chip cookies. This is perfect. Instead of scooping them out one at a time. Wow! You are a lifesaver.

25. 25 Keeley Says:
    June 10th, 2011 at 5:04 pm

I love this idea! I’ve started making my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe into bars and it’s so much easier that way!

26. 26 Katrina Says:
    June 10th, 2011 at 6:18 pm

Mmm LOVE this idea. Skillet cookie look so awesome. I need to try this.

27. 27 Anna Says:
    June 11th, 2011 at 11:06 am

Sounds great! A cast iron skillet has been on my wish list for quite some time. And after seeing your recipe, I think I’m bumping it to the top. I definitely want to try this recipe someday.

28. 28 Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker Says:
    June 12th, 2011 at 8:12 pm

This looks amazing! I’ve been wanting to make one of these too!

29. 29 carolinaheartstrings Says:
    June 12th, 2011 at 8:57 pm

The bigger the better. That looks so wonderfully delish.

30. 30 Hannah at FleurDeLicious Says:
    June 13th, 2011 at 2:04 am

Baking chocolate chip cookies in a skillet makes them pretty much the most amazing comfort food ever. And so easy too! Can’t wait to try them :)

31. 31 Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen Says:
    June 13th, 2011 at 7:23 am

Oh my! I think all my self-control just went out the window!

32. 32 Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies Says:
    June 13th, 2011 at 11:59 am

Hot damn. I need a cast iron skillet. I keep holding out because my Nan says I can have hers.. but getting them from Texas is proving to be an issue. They look perfect, Tracy.

33. 33 Lucy@The Sweet Touch Says:
    June 13th, 2011 at 2:09 pm

oh.my.gosh!!! These look incredible – guess I’m busting out the cast iron this week!

34. 34 stephchows Says:
    June 13th, 2011 at 8:54 pm

OMG what a fabulous idea!! My old roomie has one.. I need to fwd this to her! YUM!!! :)

35. 35 Heather @ Multiply Delicious Says:
    June 13th, 2011 at 10:34 pm

I just ordered a new cast iron skillet and I can’t wait to get it. I know one of the first things I’m trying is this! Looks and sounds delicious and you can’t go wrong with a big chocolate chip cookie. :)

36. 36 Raina Says:
    June 13th, 2011 at 11:03 pm

I do have to put a cast iron skillet on my wish list. This cookie looks wonderful. My family would love it:)

37. 37 Christine Says:
    June 14th, 2011 at 9:25 pm

Hi Tracy!
    Sorry I haven’t been by in a while. Looks like I’ve got a ton of great recipes with which to catch up!

I LOVE my cast iron skillets and use them all the time, but haven’t tried to make chocolate chip pan cookies in them! I have got to try this… including the ice cream on top! MMMMm!

Hope all is well. :D

38. 38 Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction Says:
    June 15th, 2011 at 10:25 am

These cookies look like perfection to me! Amazing!

39. 39 kitchen koala Says:
    June 15th, 2011 at 10:43 pm

So…you’ve created a personal sized cookie cake? ;) I’m not sharing! Yum yum!

40. 40 Elena (running in heels after child) Says:
    June 17th, 2011 at 1:53 pm

This looks so good. I found your blog from Food Gawker yesterday and kept trying to link to this recipe. I am glad your site is back up and running.

I love a warm cookie with ice cream, I freeze cookie dough when I don’t need the full batch and on occasion after the kids are asleep, I bake one cookie in my toaster oven and top it with ice cream. Yum.

Thanks for the recipe,

elena

41. 41 Tracy Says:
    June 20th, 2011 at 1:37 pm

Thanks Elena! :-)

42. 42 shelly (cookies and cups) Says:
    June 25th, 2011 at 8:37 am

My cast iron skillet needs a dust off for sure and this would be the perfect reason to break it out of retirement!!!

43. 43 Michelle Scarchilli Says:
    August 6th, 2011 at 1:12 pm

Does anyone know where I can purchase mini cast iron skillets for making the cookie recipe?

44. 44 Sherry Dilworth Says:
    April 14th, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Trying this today but using the Pillsbury chocolate chip cookie dough from grocery with first try. If all goes well, and I suspect it will, we will use the scratch recipe next time!

45. 45 Bobbi Says:
    May 2nd, 2012 at 12:40 pm

I just made this and it’s absolutely delicious! Thank you!!

46. 46 T Griffith Says:
    June 7th, 2012 at 5:39 pm

I love my cast iron we use it everyday. fry, bake, mix, you name it.. Really want to try the cookie now.. They work great on the grill too, if you want to make chili, let it cook on the grill , fire pit, ect.. thanks for the info here.

47. 47 Griffin Says:
    June 26th, 2012 at 11:51 am

Love it! Just printed it out and I’m going to try it this week on my Big Green Egg. I’m getting excited about desserts. Made a cast iron skillet pineapple upside down cake on the Egg on Sunday.

48. 48 Griffin Says:
    June 28th, 2012 at 8:56 am

I couldn’t wait. I had to make this last night and it turned out fabulous. Thank you so much for sharing it. I changed it up a bit, I used 1 cup chocolate chips and 3/4 cups peanut butter chips just cuz i love chocolate andpeanut butter together. It was amazing. And I cooked it over charcoal. Hope you check it out.

49. 49 Jen Says:
    September 4th, 2012 at 10:47 pm

Just made this. If you haven’t tried it yet, you need to! My doctor told me that I *need* to splurge, b/c I’ve been too serious about losing weight and have gotten to a plateau. So, what better splurge than everybody’s favorite! Best yet, I’m a (46 year old) grandma, so now I get to turn this into something so that when my grands see a cast iron skillet, they can think of me! :D Now I wnt to try that cast iron peanut butter chocolate chip cookie recipe I see a link for! (THANKS, GRIFFIN! AND A SPECIAL “THANK YOU” TO SUGAR CRAFTER!)

50. 50 Steve Says:
    November 3rd, 2012 at 10:58 am

I have been searing meat in my pan.

No conflict baking a Cookie ?

51. 51 Tracy Says:
    November 3rd, 2012 at 5:29 pm

Steve – Nope, no conflict. Just make sure you clean it out after you’ve used it to sear your meat!

52. 52 Stephanie Says:
    March 26th, 2013 at 10:30 pm

I love this recipe but I have to add 1/4 cup of oil because mine is too dry without it.