Strawberry-Vanilla Bean Scones

Strawberry-Vanilla Bean Scones - 5

When I saw fresh strawberries take the place of their questionable-looking counterparts that have been in the grocery store all winter and spring, I nearly jumped for joy. Even though hubby and I go strawberry picking every year now – especially now that I can tons of strawberry jam in the summer – I decided that I just couldn’t wait any longer to pick up a package and get baking. This recipe is another variation on my favorite scone recipe…and I have to say that it was a little bit more fun to make them since I got to use my new scone pan that a friend gave me as a Christmas gift (although you certainly don’t need one to make these)! Give them a try this weekend – these strawberry-studded scones make a perfect summer breakfast or brunch!

For the topping:

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.

Strawberry-Vanilla Bean Scones - 1

Cut the butter into tablespoon-sized pieces, and using a pastry blender, incorporate it into the dry ingredients.Β In another medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, half and half, vanilla extract, and vanilla bean.

Strawberry-Vanilla Bean Scones - 2

Whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and then fold in the strawberries.

Strawberry-Vanilla Bean Scones - 3

Turn the dough out on to a floured surface and knead to combine. If you’re not using a scone pan, separate the dough into halves. Shape each half of dough into a circle, and then cut each half into four wedges. If you are using a scone pan, spray it lightly with cooking spray. Divide the dough into equal pieces and press into the pan. Brush the scones with the milk and then sprinkle them with the sugar.

Strawberry-Vanilla Bean Scones - 4

Place the scones in the freezer, uncovered, for about 30 minutes. Then, remove the scones and put them right in the oven. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack to cool.

Strawberry-Vanilla Bean Scones - 6

Posted by on June 3, 2011.

Tags: , ,

Categories: breakfast & brunch

1. These look amazing!! Can’t wait to try this recipe!!!

by Kelly on Jun 3, 2011 at 11:30 am

2. Oh, these look so perfect for summer, and I have a garden full of strawberries that would go so great in this recipe. Thanks!

by doughmesstic on Jun 3, 2011 at 11:32 am

3. We are going through pounds of strawberries each week right now – on our cereal, in desserts…Now I need to try these beautiful scones!

by Cookin' Canuck on Jun 3, 2011 at 11:33 am

4. Those look lovely! And absolutely delicious for summertime. Strawberries are my favorite, I definitely want to give these a try sometime!

by Anna on Jun 3, 2011 at 11:40 am

5. These look SO good! Do you know where the scone pan came from? I’ve been looking for one for a while now but can’t find one anywhere!

by Kelly on Jun 3, 2011 at 11:51 am

6. You scone pan is really cute! And I just bought my first strawberries of the season yesterday. If I have any left tomorrow I’ll have to make these scones.
    BTW, I posted on my blog about your White Bean Garlic Dip this morning. Thanks again for the recipe.

by Jenna on Jun 3, 2011 at 12:03 pm

7. Oooh yum! Love your cast iron scone pan πŸ™‚

by DessertForTwo on Jun 3, 2011 at 12:16 pm

8. These look lovely and delicious! I’m definitely going to try them. If you have time, check out my blog–I’m just getting started… curlygirlkitchen.blogspot.com

by Heather on Jun 3, 2011 at 12:19 pm

9. Scones are the best! I love the scone pan. I have never seen that before! Have a nice weekend.

by Maris (In Good Taste) on Jun 3, 2011 at 12:28 pm

10. Gorgeous! What a perfect breakfast or brunch!

by Jenny Flake on Jun 3, 2011 at 1:10 pm

11. The perfect thing to munch on all weekend long if you ask me.

by Jennifurla on Jun 3, 2011 at 1:30 pm

12. These look gorgeous! I made strawberry scones once that were a disaster, so I am excited to try again using this recipe!

by Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker on Jun 3, 2011 at 1:38 pm

13. Great. I broke a nail trying to reach through the screen on my laptop. Could these look any more scrumptious? No… I don’t think so. I want one right now.

by NanaBread on Jun 3, 2011 at 2:03 pm

14. I am in love with your scone pan! So cute. These sound lovely. I’m excited to try the recipe!

by Katrina on Jun 3, 2011 at 2:19 pm

15. Your scones look incredible. Love that you used vanilla bean. I’ll bet it adds so much more flavor than just the extract. I’m going to have to get myself one of those scone pans too. I like the way they’ll brown up on all sides that way. Great post Tracy!

by Renee @kudoskitchen on Jun 3, 2011 at 3:39 pm

16. I really should get a scone pan since I make them all of the time. Thanks for the reminder! These look great!

by Maria on Jun 3, 2011 at 3:56 pm

17. I’m with Maria– I need a scone pan too! Love this flavor combo!

by Lori @ RecipeGirl on Jun 3, 2011 at 11:08 pm

18. I’ve never used a scone pan before! I love how nice and tall the scones are.

by Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen on Jun 4, 2011 at 4:08 am

19. How ironic! I posted strawberry scones today on my blog as well! I found the recipe on another blog and was intrigued by the inclusion of basil. It really works! Try it sometime. πŸ™‚

by Paula at Dishing The Divine on Jun 4, 2011 at 3:54 pm

20. I love strawberries in scones! So fresh and summery πŸ™‚ Your scone pan is awesome! I don’t make scones too often, but have a feeling I would make them more if I had one of those! Wishing you a fantastic summer weekend πŸ™‚

by Baking Serendipity on Jun 4, 2011 at 4:07 pm

21. Yum! Do you think these would work with rhubarb? Tis the season, you know! Love the scone pan. . .

by Karenpie on Jun 4, 2011 at 4:55 pm

22. I am looking forward to baking these. They look wonderful!
    Thanks for a great blog!

by teri@thefreshmancook on Jun 5, 2011 at 2:23 am

23. Oh wow, so original! perfect for the summer.

by jess white on Jun 7, 2011 at 5:36 am

24. These look lovely… I will have to make these with some of our CSA strawberries this week (if I can convince Darron to let me near the kitchen!). Love that scone pan, too!

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Jun 7, 2011 at 3:40 pm