Strawberries and Cream Risotto

Strawberries and Cream Risotto - 6

I know, I know. Strawberries in risotto seems kind of weird. Each of the other types of risotto I’ve made have been very much on the savory side, so the thought of tossing in fruit had even me wondering if it was really a good idea. As soon as the scent of strawberries simmering on the stove filled my kitchen though, I knew that it was going to turn out okay. And, much like the light orange hue of the butternut squash risotto, the strawberries dye the rice a lovely light pink color that I just love. Instead of the cheese I normally use in savory versions, I added cream, which gave it an extra velvety texture. Now, my head is filled with ideas for new fruit risottos to try – I’m especially excited for when blueberries are in season. If you love risotto, give this sweet version a go…and if you’re on the fence like I was, be adventurous and give it a try!

In a small pot, bring the broth to a simmer. In a medium sauce pan, melt the butter over medium heat, and then add in the onion. Cook until softened.

Strawberries and Cream Risotto - 1

Add in the strawberries, and cook until they soften as well.

Strawberries and Cream Risotto - 2

Pour in the rice, and then cook 1-2 minutes. Add in the wine.

Strawberries and Cream Risotto - 3

Bring to a simmer, stirring frequently, until the rice has absorbed most of the wine. Continue this process with the broth, adding it 1/2 cup at a time until the rice has absorbed all of the broth. Cook until al dente, and then remove from the heat.

Strawberries and Cream Risotto - 4

Stir in the cream, and garnish with additional strawberries if desired. Serve warm.

Strawberries and Cream Risotto - 5

Posted by on May 27, 2011.

Categories: dinner, lunch, soups, salads, & sides

1. wow…wow! didn’t think i could love risotto any more. this looks delicious!

by Jessica @ How Sweet on May 27, 2011 at 9:50 am

2. This whole recipe just totally blew my mind! As soon as I saw the picture when I opened the page I just gasped, “whoa!” I’ve never seen such a thing. And then I thought it was a dessert risotto until I read the recipe and I said WHOA again! How unusual. I bet it’s fantastic though – I love strawberries with onions in a salad so why not?

by JenniferA on May 27, 2011 at 10:02 am

3. Whoa! Echoing Jennifer’s comment up there, you’re blowing my mind! Fruit risotto . . . wow. The onion threw me off a little, but I trust your taste. What if you stirred in extra chopped berries at the end? I bet that would be amazing . . . especially with a little dollop of mascarpone on top. Mmmm.

by Jenna on May 27, 2011 at 12:00 pm

4. Talk about trying something new! I trust that you would never steer us wrong, it must be quite tasty!

by Christina @ This Woman Cooks! on May 27, 2011 at 12:54 pm

5. Loooove this! So pretty!!

by Katrina on May 27, 2011 at 1:52 pm

6. I’ve never made a risotto before, mostly because I’ll the recipes I’ve seen involve vegetables I don’t like (ie pea, mushroom) but this is one I can’t wait to try. We’re going strawberry picking this weekend. Perfect timing!

by Cat Davis on May 27, 2011 at 2:20 pm

7. That looks just wonderful. I can almost smell it and taste it. Great picture.

by carolinaheartstrings on May 27, 2011 at 3:22 pm

8. Wow, what a fun recipe. You’re right, it sounds a little strange at first. I expected it to be dessert! But it looks worthy of giving a go!

by Lori @ RecipeGirl on May 27, 2011 at 7:07 pm

9. Looks amazing!! Sort of reminds me of rice pudding…which is one of my favorite things in all the land. 🙂 xoxo

by Cookbook Queen on May 27, 2011 at 7:17 pm

10. When I first saw the title, I thought this was going to be more of a rice pudding than a risotto, but whoah it’s not! Now I’m totally intrigued to know what this tastes like.

by Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen on May 27, 2011 at 7:49 pm

11. I am totally trying this! I am in the middle of making your tiramisu, so I think that we are having Italian food this holiday weekend! 🙂 Pretty sure this is now on my menu!

by Karla on May 27, 2011 at 8:59 pm

12. I love strawberries. I love risotto. I would NEVER have thought to combine them! Your creativity is brilliant, and I can’t wait to give this a try!

by jess? on May 27, 2011 at 9:16 pm

13. The thought of strawberries in risotto seems fine…but the onion threw me off. Do you eat this as dessert or a side savory? dish…My guess after re-reading the recipe and noticing the lack of sweetener and the wine/vegetable broth is that this is not dessert. Interesting idea. Thanks for the new twist.

by Sandi on May 27, 2011 at 11:15 pm

14. This sounds wonderful, Tracy! I wonder what the flavor would be like if you caramelized the onions completely before moving on with the steps?

by Cookin' Canuck on May 28, 2011 at 7:14 pm

15. This recipe looks phenomenal! I love strawberries. I love risotto. Why not both together? The combination sounds exciting and delicious, and I can’t wait to make it. Thanks for a great post.

by teri@thefreshmancook on May 28, 2011 at 7:57 pm

16. Does not sound weird at all to me! I am a huge strawberry fan both for the taste and the nutritional value and I have bookmarked this delicious recipe. Hope you are having a great holiday weekend!

by Maris (In Good Taste) on May 28, 2011 at 8:10 pm

17. Yum, this sounds amazing! I’m going to have to try this once I go strawberry picking in a few weeks!

by Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) on May 29, 2011 at 8:15 am

18. This looks so pretty and sounds delicious. Perfect dish for this time of year.

by Raina on May 29, 2011 at 8:46 am

19. This was amazing!! Thanks for sharing!

by Karla on May 29, 2011 at 9:52 pm

20. What an awesome idea! I love the idea of mixing in fruit. I’m gunna have to experiment with this idea using a brown rice base.

by kate on May 30, 2011 at 6:07 pm

21. Oh, very interesting… This is definitely a recipe I will have to try!

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Jun 1, 2011 at 3:19 pm