Jambalaya

Jambalaya - 7

I can’t remember the last time I went out for some good Creole food. There’s even a popular New Orleans restaurant that’s pretty close by, but for one reason or another I’ve still never been there. So, one night I decided to take matters into my own hands and make jambalaya. To my surprise, it really wasn’t that hard at all…most of the time required to make it is spent letting the broth cook down and thicken, and aside from stopping by to stir it occasionally, you can go off and do laundry, watch TV, or whatever else you feel like doing while your dinner essentially cooks itself. And, even though I’m kind of a wimp when it comes to spicy stuff, this dish instantly became a new favorite of mine. I was even able to sneak in some extra nutrients by using brown rice, although you can certainly use white rice instead. I think this dish is best served with light and fluffy dinner rolls so that you can soak up all the broth. Enjoy!

Chop the bacon into 1″ pieces and the chorizo into 1/2″ pieces. I like spicy chicken chorizo, but you can use pork as well.

Jambalaya - 1

Jambalaya - 2

Jambalaya - 3

In a large sauce pan, add the bacon and sautรฉ until just beginning to crisp. Add in the chorizo, onion, and pepper. Cook just a few minutes until the vegetables have softened.

Jambalaya - 4

Add in all of the spices, as well as the tomatoes, tomato sauce, and chicken broth.

Jambalaya - 5

Bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook until thickened (about 45 minutes to an hour), stirring occasionally.ย Stir in the shrimp and rice and then cook for a few minutes longer before serving.

Jambalaya - 6

Posted by on May 25, 2011.

Tags: , , ,

Categories: dinner

1. Oh yum, so I am so in the mood for jambalaya tonight! Looks wonderful!

by Amanda on May 25, 2011 at 12:08 pm

2. Josh would love this! I will have to show him the recipe:)

by Maria on May 25, 2011 at 1:01 pm

3. I wish I could smell that right through my screen!! I was surprised how much I love gumbo because I am also a bit of a spice wimp, but now I have courage to try this too. ๐Ÿ™‚

by JenniferA on May 25, 2011 at 1:19 pm

4. Yum! I have all the ingredients except sausage…I think I will find a substitute and make this for supper tonight!

by Marie Baars on May 25, 2011 at 3:15 pm

5. I’ve never made this! A must-try ๐Ÿ™‚

by Katrina on May 25, 2011 at 3:22 pm

6. I’ve never had jambalaya! It looks really good, I think I’d like it, I’m not a spicy person either but if you can handle it then I’m sure I can. ๐Ÿ™‚

by Christina @ This Woman Cooks! on May 25, 2011 at 4:52 pm

7. I love dishes that do most of the cooking while you go off to do other things. This looks so good, Tracy!

by Cookin' Canuck on May 25, 2011 at 6:12 pm

8. This just looks fantastic. I love jambalaya and have not made it in forever. This recipe is a must do.

by carolinaheartstrings on May 25, 2011 at 7:42 pm

9. I was just thinking the other day that I might actually get James to eat shrimp if I put it in a spicy jambalaya. It’s like you *knew* I needed this recipe.

by Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies on May 26, 2011 at 9:31 am

10. Yum! I love recipes that you can walk away and forget about while they simmer on the stove. I haven’t made jambalaya for about 6 years–the last time was when I was freshly out of college and just learning how to cook. Now I’ve got the hankering for it. I love Cajun food!

by Jenna on May 26, 2011 at 11:08 am

11. Ooh! This looks fantastic! My kids are going to grandparents next week and I plan on making all kinds of interesting food (read: what my kids won’t eat, the losers) while they’re gone. This will go in the queue!

by Karenpie on May 27, 2011 at 1:57 pm

12. Absolutely looks incredible.!! I think this cook be dinner one night this week. Thanks for a great recipe. I love anything spicy and tasty!

by teri@thefreshmancook on May 30, 2011 at 2:03 am

13. This looks so good! thanks for sharing this recipe i may need to try it now!

by brandy on Jun 22, 2011 at 8:57 am

14. I made this! It was so delish! I used regular sausage and less spice because we don’t like too much heat, but it was perfect! I will definitely be making this again!

by Marie Baars on Jul 9, 2011 at 12:16 pm

15. How many people will this feed? If I’m cooking for 4 or 5 big hungry/hairy men will this make enough?

by Jenny on Dec 21, 2011 at 4:05 pm

16. Jenny – Haha! The recipe serves about 4, so I would probably double or at least “1 1/2 it” for 4-5 big hairy men. ๐Ÿ˜‰

by Tracy on Dec 21, 2011 at 4:48 pm