Farmer’s Market Frittata

Farmer's Market Frittata - 4

If you know me at all by now, you know that I am a huge fan of breakfast any time of the day, including dinner…or as we like to call it, brinner. Last week, I was looking over all the goodies I bought at the farmer’s market, and I decided that I finally needed to break out my cast iron skillet and make frittata. Not only had I never touched my cast iron skillet despite the fact that I got it for Christmas last year, but I’ve never made frittata before, either. Fortunately, it turns out that both hurdles were much easier to overcome than I thought. I simply followed the instructions on Lodge’s website to prepare my skillet for use, and I was good to go. And, I used Jen’s helpful tips on making frittata to whip up this simple and fresh frittata in no time at all. We definitely have a new favorite in our house now, no matter what time of the day it’s served!

Preheat your broiler to 350 degrees. In a 10″ cast iron skillet, heat the oil over medium heat on the stove. Dice the onion, green pepper, scallions, bacon, and tomato.

Farmer's Market Frittata - 1

In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk. Toss the onion and green pepper into the warm skillet and cook until soft. Add in the bacon, basil, and salt and pepper; cook 1-2 minutes longer.

Farmer's Market Frittata - 2

Remove the pan from the heat and pour in the egg mixture and diced tomato, and then give everything a quick stir. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cover. Cook 6-8 minutes. Sprinkle with the cheddar cheese, and then move the skillet to the oven and cook bake about 20 minutes longer or until puffed and golden.

Farmer's Market Frittata - 3

Slices into wedges and serve immediately.

Posted by on May 12, 2011.

Categories: breakfast & brunch

1. That looks just delicious. I love breakfast for dinner too!

by carolinaheartstrings on May 12, 2011 at 11:19 am

2. This looks delish! I’m totally craving a frittata for lunch now. Glad you enjoyed it!

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on May 12, 2011 at 11:19 am

3. Looks absolutely delicious!

by Courtney on May 12, 2011 at 11:35 am

4. I love frittata and yours looks so tasty! That bacon wants me to pluck it right out of that picture and nibble it now. I can tell. ;-)

by JenniferA on May 12, 2011 at 11:38 am

5. Love frittatas! This looks wonderful!

by Liz @ BLog is the New Black on May 12, 2011 at 11:41 am

6. I’m glad you’ve discovered the joys of cast iron! My cast iron pans are my favorite things to cook with. They seem virtually indestructible.
    And ‘brinner’–hah! Love it.

by Jenna on May 12, 2011 at 1:21 pm

7. I love eggs for dinner :) And making a frittata is the perfect easy dinner! beautiful :)

by megan @ whatmegansmaking on May 12, 2011 at 2:07 pm

8. Yum! Frittata’s are so tasty. Great recipe!

by Katrina on May 12, 2011 at 4:50 pm

9. What an awesome looking fritata! There is nothing better to make on a Sunday morning. I have to give this one a try. Oh yeah…and “brimmer” is the best! ;)

by Christina @ Sweet Pea's Kitchen on May 13, 2011 at 9:56 am

10. How beautiful! Love everything about this recipe!

by Jenny Flake on May 13, 2011 at 1:20 pm

11. I can’t wait until our farmers market opens! I will have to make this with my finds:)

by Maria on May 13, 2011 at 1:48 pm

12. These are fabulous pictures that make me excited to make this frittata

by Maris (In Good Taste) on May 14, 2011 at 6:18 am

13. Looks so delicious. Can’t wait to try it!

by Veronica on May 15, 2011 at 8:45 pm

14. I’ve had such a frittata craving lately. This looks like it’d hit the spot!

by Katie on May 16, 2011 at 10:14 am

15. Fritattas are a staple in our house and I can’t wait until the farmer’s market opens in my town! I’ll have to make a garden fresh fritatta with the spinach, radishes and chives from my garden. Yum! Thanks for the inspiration.

by Alison@cookingwithfriends on May 16, 2011 at 6:57 pm