Nutella Cinnamon Rolls

Nutella Cinnamon Rolls - 6

There are some days that I just lose my appetite. It might be because of my mood, or that nothing sounds good, or that I’m in a food rut again and need to spice things up a bit. When my appetite comes back though, what I’m inevitably craving is some sort of comfort food. Yesterday happened to be one of those days, and by the end of the day all I could think about was a warm cinnamon roll fresh from the oven. Fortunately, over the weekend I whipped up a batch of my go-to recipe…only this time, I halved the recipe so that I’d only get 3 pans of rolls instead of 6. And, rather than the usual cinnamon rolls, I made this version with nutella. As a new convert, I can say that I think pretty much anything tastes better with nutella, and these cinnamon rolls were no exception. I froze the remaining two pans of rolls baked but unfrosted – just thaw them out, warm them in the oven for 15-20 minutes, and then pour on the glaze while they’re still warm!

For the glaze (for three 8″ pans of rolls):

In a large pot, whisk together the milk, vegetable oil, and sugar. Scald the mixture (heat until just about to boil), and then turn off the heat. Let cool 45 minutes to an hour. When the mixture is lukewarm, whisk in the yeast and let it begin to dissolve. Stir in 4 1/2 cups of the flour, and then cover and let rise at least an hour.

Nutella Cinnamon Rolls - 1

Next, add in the baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Turn out on to a floured surface and gently knead in the extra cup of flour. Form the dough into a rough rectangle and roll thin, maintaining the rectangular shape. In a small bowl, add the nutella. Cut the butter into chunks and then add it to the bowl as well. Microwave on low heat just until the butter melts. Stir until smooth.

Nutella Cinnamon Rolls - 2

Spread the nutella and butter mixture over the rolled out dough and follow with a sprinkling of cinnamon.

Nutella Cinnamon Rolls - 3

Starting at the opposite end, begin rolling the dough toward you, keeping it as tight as possible. Pinch the seam to seal it at the end. It’s okay if some of the filling oozes out.

Nutella Cinnamon Rolls - 4

Spray three 8? round foil cake pans with cooking spray. Cut the rolls approximately 3/4? to 1? thick, and lay them in the pans. Let rise 20-30 minutes.

Nutella Cinnamon Rolls - 5

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and bake the rolls 15-18 minutes or until light golden brown. To make the glaze, mix together the powdered sugar and milk and stir until smooth; it should be thick. Split the glaze between the three pans and generously drizzle it over the warm rolls.

Nutella Cinnamon Rolls - 6

Posted by on May 10, 2011.

Categories: breakfast & brunch, desserts & sweets

1. Great idea to put nutella on these! One thing is for certain…I have not had enough nutella in my life! :)

by megan @ whatmegansmaking on May 10, 2011 at 10:44 am

2. Mmmm, that would really hit the spot right now with my cup of tea!

by JenniferA on May 10, 2011 at 10:53 am

3. Everything really does taste better with Nutella. I dipped potato chips in it once and it was good.

by Erin on May 10, 2011 at 10:55 am

4. These look deadly good! Such a great (yet dangerous!) idea to put nutella in cinnamon rolls. I want to try these so badly…

by Jeanne on May 10, 2011 at 10:56 am

5. Just when I thought cinnamon rolls couldn’t get any better!

by Jessica @ How Sweet on May 10, 2011 at 11:00 am

6. No matter what kind of mood I’m in, Nutella always sounds good! These look delicious :)

by DessertForTwo on May 10, 2011 at 11:11 am

7. These look amazing! They were great, and then you added Nutella to make them FANTASTIC!

by Liz @ BLog is the New Black on May 10, 2011 at 11:21 am

8. 6 pans??? man you don’t mess around with your go to recipe LOL even 3 is a lot! hehe YUMMMM

by stephchows on May 10, 2011 at 11:23 am

9. Tracy, they’re so beautiful!! I want nutella cinnamon rolls RIGHT now.

by Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies on May 10, 2011 at 11:26 am

10. The rolls are beautiful! But man oh man, as if my hips hasn’t seen enough Nutella yet, it tastes good on so many things! Thanks for this, the husband will love ‘em.

by Connie on May 10, 2011 at 11:49 am

11. Um, are you serious?! These look amazing. AMAZING! Cinnamon rolls are of course fabulous on there own, but adding Nutella?!! GENIUS!

by The Blue-Eyed Bakers on May 10, 2011 at 12:06 pm

12. I’m DROOLING! You can’t ever go wrong with nutella!

by natalie (the sweets life) on May 10, 2011 at 12:09 pm

13. Those cinnamon rolls sound awesome. I love the idea of putting Nutella into them.

by Lisa on May 10, 2011 at 12:19 pm

14. wow! I have to make these. ASAP!

by Shelby on May 10, 2011 at 1:06 pm

15. Mmm, these look fantastic!! I’ve never made homemade cinnamon rolls – must try!

by Lucy@The Sweet Touch on May 10, 2011 at 1:06 pm

16. That’s such a great idea! I want to make some right now!

by Cherry on May 10, 2011 at 1:22 pm

17. Oh, I definitely want to try this–but preferrably in a situation with lots of hungry people present so that I’m not left alone with all those nutella rolls. I don’t think I could be trusted.

by Jenna on May 10, 2011 at 1:25 pm

18. Oh my this sound and look incredible. Deliciousness.

by Christina on May 10, 2011 at 2:29 pm

19. I’ve been on a cinnamon roll kick lately – these look awesome! Cinnamon rolls. Nutella. How can they be bad?

by Mike on May 10, 2011 at 4:24 pm

20. aaaaaand i will be making these this weekend! so simple, so delish!

by Molly @ Craving Collective on May 10, 2011 at 6:06 pm

21. Nutella cinnamon rolls?! You are a genius! Thank you SO much for this recipe. It’s exactly what I’ve needed!

by The Teenage Taste on May 10, 2011 at 9:04 pm

22. Okay, that’s not fair, you put Nutella in them! Now I’m jealous, send me one pretty please :-D

by Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen on May 10, 2011 at 9:23 pm

23. Amazing. I’m truly in love.

by Katrina on May 10, 2011 at 11:55 pm

24. Who would’ve thought… Nutella + Cinnamon Rolls must equal absolute breakfast heaven!!

by Kylie on May 11, 2011 at 12:29 am

25. Oh yum! These sound amazing and look even better!

by Jessica on May 11, 2011 at 2:00 am

26. two of my favorite things together-chocolate and cinnamon. these look outrageously good!

by Maris (In Good Taste) on May 11, 2011 at 4:40 am

27. Cinnamon rolls AND nutella? These look amazing!

by Therese on May 11, 2011 at 9:26 am

28. ok, this is just crazy. Two of my favorite things in the whole world… I’m in trouble! I’d eat them ALL!

by Lori @ RecipeGirl on May 11, 2011 at 10:15 am

29. I’m off to make these right now!
    Looks delicious and the kids will be over the moon when they come home from school today! Waht a treat!
    Krista

by Krista Dolan on May 11, 2011 at 10:16 am

30. Perfection!! Nutella is my favorite, nice job girl!!

by Jenny Flake on May 11, 2011 at 10:21 am

31. Will you get the same results using skim milk??

by Breanna on May 11, 2011 at 10:40 am

32. Pure bliss!

by Maria on May 11, 2011 at 11:20 am

33. Oh heaven help me. These look fantastic. I could eat one whole pan myself right now.

by carolinaheartstrings on May 11, 2011 at 1:04 pm

34. You are Nutella-crazy, Tracy. It’s a good way to be. These cinnamon rolls sound and look fantastic.

by Cookin' Canuck on May 11, 2011 at 2:02 pm

35. Wow!! These looks fabulous

by Sylvia on May 11, 2011 at 5:24 pm

36. I agree; everything is better with Nutella. These sound amazing. Super creative to think to put Nutella in them:)

by Raina on May 11, 2011 at 8:58 pm

37. Oh, I bet the addition of Nutella to the cinnamon rolls was just perfect! Yum :)

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on May 12, 2011 at 4:28 pm

38. Those look so delicious!! I know I have been saying it forever, but I really need to get over my yeast fear :)

by shelly (cookies and cups) on May 13, 2011 at 10:29 am

39. These look amazing! I am curious I would love to make them tonight to be able to have for breakfast tomorrow when my family gets here. Do you have any advice for making them ahead of time. If I do make the dough tonight can I put them in the pans and then hold them in the fridge and bake in the morning? I am just curious I think I would have to get up at 5am to be able to make these fresh for the morning …. Thanks for your advice in advance!

by Stephanie Higgins on May 13, 2011 at 1:02 pm

40. Wow. I never thought cinammon rolls could get any better, but you proved me wrong. Can’t wait to try them.

by Psychiatrist in Sacramento on May 17, 2011 at 5:23 pm

41. oh my heaven. this is genius!!!

by Aggie on May 19, 2011 at 6:49 pm

42. I am a bit afraid to admit it but I’m not a Nutellaholic like many others. The thought of downing a whole spoonful does not make me drool; there is a different reflex I would suffer I’m certain.

BUT I love it when mixed with bread or cookies or cake and this fits that bill…oh so fits that bill! I feel like I’m asking you to go steady but really…just pinned. :)

by Barbara | Creative Culinary on May 20, 2011 at 3:37 pm

43. Mmmm, those look incredible! I wish I were eating them right this very second :-)

by Rachel on May 21, 2011 at 5:14 pm

44. What an insanely great idea. I never would have thought of putting nutella in cinnamon rolls. But now I’ll be making these this weekend! Thanks!

by Relationship Lover on May 24, 2011 at 9:01 pm

45. What type of yeast should be used? Active Dry or Instant?

by Mark on May 28, 2011 at 10:02 pm

46. Mark – I used active dry yeast. Hope that helps!

by Tracy on May 29, 2011 at 10:05 am

47. I’d say leave off the cinnamon and at least TRIPLE the nutella part of this recipe…maybe sprinkle a few pecans over ‘it, but definitely triple the nutella part!

by Dorothy J. Lewis on Jun 1, 2011 at 7:42 pm

48. awesome stuff, hungry just looking at this

by patrick on Jun 7, 2011 at 1:28 am

49. Help! What is a stick of butter!? Quarter cup?

by Beth L. on Jun 9, 2011 at 6:52 pm

50. Would this come out just as good if I buy the dough already made from the bakery?

by Melissa on Jun 17, 2011 at 1:00 pm

51. Melissa – I don’t see why not! Go for it! :-)

by Tracy on Jun 20, 2011 at 1:35 pm

52. i stick butter = 1/2 cup

by rikkiedon on Jun 25, 2011 at 12:11 am

53. Wow!! If you thought of this on your on it is a genius idea.. I am so ready to make these right now!! You really have talent. I wish that I had to ability to think of these awesome food ideas

by Jimmy on Jun 25, 2011 at 11:24 am

54. I’ve been craving cinnamon rolls for days and I LOVE NUTELLA! This is the best combination EVERRR!! Thank you so much for sharing, I am bookmarking this recipe, you totally made my day with this. =]

by FreeSpiritEater on Sep 8, 2011 at 11:25 am

55. darn it! why didn’t i think about nutella!! smart move!! thanks for sharing!

by jenjenk on Sep 18, 2011 at 1:48 am

56. Great idea. Though I’ll have to sub peanut butter and melted chocolate. (I’m allergic to hazelnuts, they give me migraines.)

by Mary on Sep 25, 2011 at 2:09 am

57. I just pulled these out of the oven and tried the first one with a bit of the icing. powdered sugar and milk just does not do them justice. I’m glad I tried it before pouring it all over the rest of them. Not a big fan. The rolls themselves are awesome. They’re not overwhelmingly sugary like most cinnamon rolls. The dough was so easy to work with. Probable the most effortless cinnamon roll recipe I’ve ever used. Nutella. Pure genius. I am going to go to the store to get the ingredients to make a cream cheese frosting for the rest of them. I used a lot more than 1/2 a cup of the Nutella but next time I will add even more. I’d like them to be just a little more gooey.

by Meagan on Oct 9, 2011 at 6:25 pm

58. Oh my gosh! These looks amazing! I’m in a bit of a baking binge right now and I think this may be next on my list of things to make for the weekend! Inspired!

by Brittani Hinman on Oct 12, 2011 at 3:22 pm

59. I made them and they are delicious! I love the frosting although I read someone’s comment that they didn’t. I mailed them today to a friend and it should get there in three days… I hope they don’t go bad by then.. guess I’ll see

by Anonymous on Nov 4, 2011 at 10:51 am

60. I want to marry these.

by Kara on Nov 17, 2011 at 1:55 pm

61. Made a batch with part Nutella and the other part regular. My Nutella boy was nuts over them! Little pointer: don’t add melted butter to the Nutella as it seized up the chocolate. Make sure you melt them together. Other than that- turned out just like I expected. Thanks

by Mindy W on Jan 30, 2012 at 2:15 pm

62. I have a question, can the whole milk be substituted with rice milk/almond milk? and so forth?

by Tatania on Feb 14, 2012 at 1:35 pm

63. Tatania – You certainly can, but the resulting cinnamon rolls may not be as rich. Hope that helps!

by Tracy on Feb 22, 2012 at 1:07 pm

64. I split between two pans and freeze one and bake the other. That way I have fresh rolls for a different day! Just put the frozen rolls in the refrigerator the night before you want to enjoy them and allow them to thaw and double then bake.

Yum!

by Connie on Mar 11, 2012 at 12:49 pm

65. Can’t go wrong with nutella! Yum!

by Lisa @ Snappy Gourmet on Mar 17, 2012 at 8:32 pm

66. This looks amazing!!

by Jenn @therebelchick on May 16, 2012 at 9:27 pm

67. Love nutella so can’t wait to try these, they look so yummy!

by jill on May 18, 2012 at 5:10 pm

68. Wow cinnamon and nutella together. Heaven. Thank you for sharing this.

Simon