Nutella Cinnamon Rolls

Nutella Cinnamon Rolls - 6

There are some days that I just lose my appetite. It might be because of my mood, or that nothing sounds good, or that I’m in a food rut again and need to spice things up a bit. When my appetite comes back though, what I’m inevitably craving is some sort of comfort food. Yesterday happened to be one of those days, and by the end of the day all I could think about was a warm cinnamon roll fresh from the oven. Fortunately, over the weekend I whipped up a batch of my go-to recipe…only this time, I halved the recipe so that I’d only get 3 pans of rolls instead of 6. And, rather than the usual cinnamon rolls, I made this version with nutella. As a new convert, I can say that I think pretty much anything tastes better with nutella, and these cinnamon rolls were no exception. I froze the remaining two pans of rolls baked but unfrosted – just thaw them out, warm them in the oven for 15-20 minutes, and then pour on the glaze while they’re still warm!

For the glaze (for three 8″ pans of rolls):

In a large pot, whisk together the milk, vegetable oil, and sugar. Scald the mixture (heat until just about to boil), and then turn off the heat. Let cool 45 minutes to an hour. When the mixture is lukewarm, whisk in the yeast and let it begin to dissolve. Stir in 4 1/2 cups of the flour, and then cover and let rise at least an hour.

Nutella Cinnamon Rolls - 1

Next, add in the baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Turn out on to a floured surface and gently knead in the extra cup of flour. Form the dough into a rough rectangle and roll thin, maintaining the rectangular shape. In a small bowl, add the nutella. Cut the butter into chunks and then add it to the bowl as well. Microwave on low heat just until the butter melts. Stir until smooth.

Nutella Cinnamon Rolls - 2

Spread the nutella and butter mixture over the rolled out dough and follow with a sprinkling of cinnamon.

Nutella Cinnamon Rolls - 3

Starting at the opposite end, begin rolling the dough toward you, keeping it as tight as possible. Pinch the seam to seal it at the end. It’s okay if some of the filling oozes out.

Nutella Cinnamon Rolls - 4

Spray three 8? round foil cake pans with cooking spray. Cut the rolls approximately 3/4? to 1? thick, and lay them in the pans. Let rise 20-30 minutes.

Nutella Cinnamon Rolls - 5

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and bake the rolls 15-18 minutes or until light golden brown. To make the glaze, mix together the powdered sugar and milk and stir until smooth; it should be thick. Split the glaze between the three pans and generously drizzle it over the warm rolls.

Nutella Cinnamon Rolls - 6

Posted by on May 10, 2011.

Categories: breakfast & brunch, desserts & sweets

1. Melissa – I don’t see why not! Go for it! 🙂

by Tracy on Jun 20, 2011 at 1:35 pm

2. i stick butter = 1/2 cup

by rikkiedon on Jun 25, 2011 at 12:11 am

3. Wow!! If you thought of this on your on it is a genius idea.. I am so ready to make these right now!! You really have talent. I wish that I had to ability to think of these awesome food ideas

by Jimmy on Jun 25, 2011 at 11:24 am

4. I’ve been craving cinnamon rolls for days and I LOVE NUTELLA! This is the best combination EVERRR!! Thank you so much for sharing, I am bookmarking this recipe, you totally made my day with this. =]

by FreeSpiritEater on Sep 8, 2011 at 11:25 am

5. darn it! why didn’t i think about nutella!! smart move!! thanks for sharing!

by jenjenk on Sep 18, 2011 at 1:48 am

6. Great idea. Though I’ll have to sub peanut butter and melted chocolate. (I’m allergic to hazelnuts, they give me migraines.)

by Mary on Sep 25, 2011 at 2:09 am

7. I just pulled these out of the oven and tried the first one with a bit of the icing. powdered sugar and milk just does not do them justice. I’m glad I tried it before pouring it all over the rest of them. Not a big fan. The rolls themselves are awesome. They’re not overwhelmingly sugary like most cinnamon rolls. The dough was so easy to work with. Probable the most effortless cinnamon roll recipe I’ve ever used. Nutella. Pure genius. I am going to go to the store to get the ingredients to make a cream cheese frosting for the rest of them. I used a lot more than 1/2 a cup of the Nutella but next time I will add even more. I’d like them to be just a little more gooey.

by Meagan on Oct 9, 2011 at 6:25 pm

8. Oh my gosh! These looks amazing! I’m in a bit of a baking binge right now and I think this may be next on my list of things to make for the weekend! Inspired!

by Brittani Hinman on Oct 12, 2011 at 3:22 pm

9. I made them and they are delicious! I love the frosting although I read someone’s comment that they didn’t. I mailed them today to a friend and it should get there in three days… I hope they don’t go bad by then.. guess I’ll see

by Anonymous on Nov 4, 2011 at 10:51 am

10. I want to marry these.

by Kara on Nov 17, 2011 at 1:55 pm

11. Made a batch with part Nutella and the other part regular. My Nutella boy was nuts over them! Little pointer: don’t add melted butter to the Nutella as it seized up the chocolate. Make sure you melt them together. Other than that- turned out just like I expected. Thanks

by Mindy W on Jan 30, 2012 at 2:15 pm

12. I have a question, can the whole milk be substituted with rice milk/almond milk? and so forth?

by Tatania on Feb 14, 2012 at 1:35 pm

13. Tatania – You certainly can, but the resulting cinnamon rolls may not be as rich. Hope that helps!

by Tracy on Feb 22, 2012 at 1:07 pm

14. I split between two pans and freeze one and bake the other. That way I have fresh rolls for a different day! Just put the frozen rolls in the refrigerator the night before you want to enjoy them and allow them to thaw and double then bake.

Yum!

by Connie on Mar 11, 2012 at 12:49 pm

15. Can’t go wrong with nutella! Yum!

by Lisa @ Snappy Gourmet on Mar 17, 2012 at 8:32 pm

16. This looks amazing!!

by Jenn @therebelchick on May 16, 2012 at 9:27 pm

17. Love nutella so can’t wait to try these, they look so yummy!

by jill on May 18, 2012 at 5:10 pm

18. Wow cinnamon and nutella together. Heaven. Thank you for sharing this.

Simon