Beef and Bean Enchiladas

Beef and Bean Enchiladas - 6

I know yesterday was Cinco de Mayo, but I can’t help but share one of my new favorite recipes in the spirit of “better late than never.” I’ve made enchiladas many times before, but I’ve always used corn tortillas – and I confess that I haven’t quite been able to master getting all of the corn tortillas to wrap nicely without splitting down the middle or breaking in half altogether. Perhaps I fry them too long, or maybe not enough; in any case, I have some tips that I’m going to try on my corn tortillas the next time around. For this recipe though, I made things simpler – and healthier – by using whole wheat flour tortillas. These enchiladas make for an easy and quick weeknight meal, and are perfect served with a cold glass of iced tea or your favorite margarita.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. In a medium skillet over medium heat, cook the beef and onions until the beef is no longer pink. Drain.

Beef and Bean Enchiladas - 2

In a medium mixing bowl, mix together the beans and seasonings.

Beef and Bean Enchiladas - 1

Add in the meat, onions, and 1/2 cup of the cheese (I used white cheddar).

Beef and Bean Enchiladas - 3

Fill the tortillas with the beef and bean mixture, and then place them in a greased 8×12″ baking dish. Pour the enchilada sauce over the top of the tortillas and then top with the remaining cup of cheese.

Beef and Bean Enchiladas - 4

Bake 20-25 minutes or until heated through and the cheese is melted.

Beef and Bean Enchiladas - 5

Posted by on May 6, 2011.

Tags: , ,

Categories: dinner

1. When we next get together, we’re going to have a tortilla frying session so I can help you lick this issue. Until then, these look pretty darn delicious.

by Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies on May 6, 2011 at 10:55 am

2. looks amazing ! definitely trying this as soon as I get the chance

by maggiecz on May 6, 2011 at 11:27 am

3. I love enchiladas! These look so delish!

by Jenny Flake on May 6, 2011 at 11:27 am

4. These look sooo good . . . I just got back from a business trip to Guadalajara and it’s given me the craving for Mexican food. Yum.

by Jenna on May 6, 2011 at 12:12 pm

5. Those look terrific. Just perfect for my weekend.

by carolinaheartstrings on May 6, 2011 at 2:36 pm

6. Love enchiladas! These look delish!

by Jessica @ How Sweet on May 6, 2011 at 2:40 pm

7. Oh MAN these look good. It never fails – I don’t realize how hungry I am until I get my daily Sugarcrafter fix!

by Karenpie on May 6, 2011 at 4:13 pm

8. These look great! Enchiladas are one of my hubby’s all time favorite foods… I will have to make these!

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on May 6, 2011 at 10:52 pm

9. My family would go crazy for these. Wonderful simple meal for a celebration or weeknight meal.

by Cookin' Canuck on May 7, 2011 at 12:22 am

10. I adore enchiladas and love this recipe!

by Katrina on May 7, 2011 at 3:14 am

11. I am so craving Mexican food now! These enchiladas look fabulous! I have to give these a try! 😀

by Christina @ Sweet Pea's Kitchen on May 7, 2011 at 8:22 pm

12. I have yet to master the whole corn tortilla wrapping issue…I think we both need a lesson from Amber! These look delish!

by Jamie | My Baking Addiction on May 8, 2011 at 7:07 pm

13. Can’t wait to try this out! I shared your recipe on my Must Try Tuesday post….

Thanks!

by Wende on May 11, 2011 at 4:54 pm

14. I save calories and rarely have a split corn tortilla when making enchiladas. I layer the tortillas on a microwave safe plate with a teeny splash of water between each layer. Top with a second plate to seal in the steam and microwave on high until they are nice and steamy (I usually start with about a minute and then give them a check – ymmv depending on your microwave}

And now I want enchiladas and nary a tortilla in the house. 😀

by Blondie on May 15, 2011 at 2:06 pm

15. canned enchilada sauce? what brand do you use? and anyone have a recipe for home made enchilada sauce?

by keri on Jan 2, 2012 at 4:21 am

16. Keri – I used the Old El Paso brand in this recipe. Hope that helps!

by Tracy on Jan 3, 2012 at 1:42 pm

17. These are soooo yummy! Thanks for the recipe! I made these for my daughter’s 2 yr bday party and the grown ups loved them! (I had hot dogs for the kids) I’m even thinking of making these for Christmas.

by Linda Gonzalez on Dec 21, 2013 at 2:33 pm