Italian-Style Dog Biscuits

Riley - 4 months

Riley is getting big! I haven’t done a puppy update in a while, and I’m amazed by how much he’s grown since I posted the recipe for SunButter and bacon dog biscuits back in March. He’s looking less like a puppy and more like a teenager, and he’s becoming lanky and clumsy with his long legs and floppy paws that he’s working on growing into. His favorite thing is being outside, whether it’s to go for a walk or to chase around his toys in our backyard. We also started his training early with some classes specifically for puppies, so he’s well on his way to becoming a well-behaved gentleman…or so I hope! He also loves towels, as you can see in the picture (I have no idea why) and any type of soft dog treats…so I decided to whip up a new kind for him to enjoy, and he went crazy for them. I hope your pup enjoys these as much as Riley did!

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, whisk together the flours.

Italian-style Dog Biscuits - 1

Add in the rest of the ingredients, kneading with your hands to form a rough dough.

Italian-style Dog Biscuits - 2

Italian-style Dog Biscuits - 3

Roll out on to a lightly floured surface about 1/4″ thick. Cut out shapes with a cookie cutter. Place the cookies on a parchment-lined cookie sheet.

Italian-style Dog Biscuits - 4

Bake 20-25 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack. Store in an airtight container at room temperature or in the refrigerator for about a week.

Italian-style Dog Biscuits - 5

As always, while it is fun to experiment with ingredients in recipes, it’s important to understand what ingredients can be poisonous to our pets. Please make sure to consult the appropriate sources before changing the ingredients!

Posted by on May 4, 2011.

Tags:

Categories: pets

1. Oh my goodness, he’s SO cute!! I’ll bet he loves these cookies. I’m sure my doggie will too.

by Sara on May 4, 2011 at 11:40 am

2. Oh, he is just adorable and so are these treats! I bet my dog would love them too – he LOOOVES cheese!

by JenniferA on May 4, 2011 at 11:42 am

3. What a lucky (and adorable) puppy you have. I’ll have to try this for our dog.

by Cookin' Canuck on May 4, 2011 at 12:02 pm

4. Oh, I know Yellowdog would LOVE these :)

Riley is such a cutie… I love when they get to the “teenager” stage. They’re just so goofy!

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on May 4, 2011 at 12:03 pm

5. tracy ! i love this dog post :) riley is cute :D i’ve always wanted a dog but yet to get one. happy baking !

by thepickyeater on May 4, 2011 at 12:04 pm

6. my heart is melting! could he be ANY cuter?!

by Jessica @ How Sweet on May 4, 2011 at 12:16 pm

7. how inventive, what a gorgeous dog too

by Jennifurla on May 4, 2011 at 12:36 pm

8. He is SO SO SO cute! I want a puppy:)

by Maria on May 4, 2011 at 1:05 pm

9. What a cutie Riley is! Miley and Howie would love these biscuits!

by Amanda on May 4, 2011 at 1:10 pm

10. I want to kiss that sweet little puppy face!! I just had a reader ask me about dog biscuits. Will have to direct her to you!

by Lori @ RecipeGirl on May 4, 2011 at 1:14 pm

11. This makes me wish we had a dog to make biscuits for. Gorgeous, Tracy!

by Shaina on May 4, 2011 at 1:54 pm

12. what a great idea! my puppers would love these. (we used to have the same frog friend! he lasted longer than any other stuffed friend we had for the little monsters.)

by emily @ the happy home on May 4, 2011 at 2:53 pm

13. Oh my gosh, I love your dog treats! You could open a doggy bakery, so cute!!

by Jenny Flake on May 4, 2011 at 3:00 pm

14. Your puppy is too cute for words :)

by Katrina on May 4, 2011 at 3:07 pm

15. thanks for posting this Tracy!! I’m making some dog treats today, will make these next time!!

by TidyMom on May 4, 2011 at 3:53 pm

16. Okay, you’ve got my dog drooling. (In fact, he just came back into the room and is staring up at my computer as if he knows exactly what I’m reading.)

I think I know what I’m baking this weekend now … if I know what’s good for me!

(And your puppy is ADORABLE.)

by --Deb on May 4, 2011 at 4:28 pm

17. What a sweet looking dog. I am trying this recipe out on my little Zach!!!

by carolinaheartstrings on May 4, 2011 at 6:43 pm

18. He is so pretty! And lucky to have such yummy treats. They look pretty darn perfect:)

by Raina on May 4, 2011 at 7:45 pm

19. What a gorgeous and very lucky dog!

by Maris (In Good Taste) on May 4, 2011 at 9:15 pm

20. My dog LOVES these.
    I totally made some for her after I read the post.

Must invest in a bone shaped cutter though, apparently I dont have one in my collection.

Thanks for the recipe.

by Miranda on May 4, 2011 at 9:22 pm

21. I’m melting he’s so adorable. I just want to go and cuddle up with him and his soft fluffy ears!

by Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen on May 4, 2011 at 9:37 pm

22. Oh my goodness!! Riley is absolutely adorable!! It makes me miss the puppy years of our golden. I can’t wait to try these for our golden Parker.

by Heather @ Multiply Delicious on May 4, 2011 at 10:04 pm

23. Awwww. Thanks so much for the updated photo. Since I blog for SunButter, I’m always looking for proof that it’s good fuel. Riley looks like it is! Since we also have a growing puppy (spring spaniel) at our house, I love your perspective, and can’t wait to try this recipe adaptation for him (and our old girl dog too). Take care!

by Elizabeth, blogger for SunButter on May 5, 2011 at 8:49 am

24. I have always wanted to make dog biscuits for my pups! Riley is gorgeous!

by Jamie | My Baking Addiction on May 6, 2011 at 2:30 pm

25. That Riley pup is one lucky guy. I hope he knows it!

by Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies on May 9, 2011 at 9:04 am

26. Your little Riley is gorgeous! I have a one year old golden retriever called Lily, I’m going to have to make these treats for her, they look great! She also loves towels…maybe it’s a golden thing ;)

by Livvy on May 10, 2011 at 5:06 am

27. What a great recipe, I’m adding it to my facebook page right now. Woof!

by Doggy Dessert Chef on May 16, 2011 at 4:35 am

28. What a great recipe! I just made these for my dogs today and they loved them! It feels good to be able to make them something homemade. They made the kitchen smell delicious too! Thank you!

by Chrystin on May 26, 2012 at 1:41 pm