Nutella Cookies with Sea Salt

Nutella Cookies with Sea Salt - 5

I’ve never in my life tried nutella until a couple weeks ago. I was talking to Katie, a good food blogging friend of mine, about food allergies because her son has a severe peanut allergy like I do. She mentioned that he could have nutella, which intrigued me…somehow, I never knew that nutella is processed in a peanut-free facility. I was still a little nervous about eating it because I wasn’t sure whether or not I was allergic to hazelnuts themselves, but I decided to give it a try since I’ve had plenty of hazelnut-flavored foods in the past (don’t worry, I had an EpiPen nearby just in case!). I started with just a little bit and worked up to a spoonful, and I had no reaction of any kind. Not only that, but this stuff is amazingly delicious! Seriously, I’m now addicted to it. Of course, I couldn’t wait to bake with it. The first thing I baked were these nutella cookies with sea salt to satisfy my craving for something sweet and salty, and they definitely hit the spot. I hope you enjoy them too – and you can expect to see a lot more nutella recipes on my blog in the future!

• 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/3 cup cocoa powder
  • 1 stick butter, softened
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/3 cup Nutella
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • Sea salt, for sprinkling

Whisk together the flour, baking powder, and cocoa powder. Set aside.

Nutella Cookies with Sea Salt - 1

Using an electric mixer or stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar. Add in the vanilla extract and nutella, mixing until smooth.

Nutella Cookies with Sea Salt - 2

Add the dry ingredients half at a time alternately with the milk until well-combined. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and let chill in the refrigerator 15 minutes before baking.

Nutella Cookies with Sea Salt - 3

When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and roll the dough into 1″ balls. Place 2″ apart on the parchment paper. Press down gently and sprinkle with sea salt.

Nutella Cookies with Sea Salt - 4

Bake 10-12 minutes until just starting to set. Let cool for a few minutes on the baking sheet before removing to a cooling rack to cool completely. Makes about 3 dozen cookies.

Nutella Cookies with Sea Salt - 5

53 Responses to “Nutella Cookies with Sea Salt”

1. 1 Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies Says:
    April 25th, 2011 at 12:07 pm

Tracy, these look FANTASTIC. Absolutely fantastic. I’m so glad you can enjoy Nutella. A whole new chocolately hazelnutty world has opened up to you :)

2. 2 Liz @ BLog is the New Black Says:
    April 25th, 2011 at 12:18 pm

Love ANYTHNIG With Nutella… these are no exception!

3. 3 Allison @ Novice Life Says:
    April 25th, 2011 at 12:24 pm

Ok I have read SO MANY recipes and food blog posts with Nutella in them and I guess it is high time I try it for myself as well!

4. 4 Jessica @ How Sweet Says:
    April 25th, 2011 at 12:42 pm

Sweet and salty – my favorite combo!

5. 5 Katrina Says:
    April 25th, 2011 at 12:51 pm

I’m so glad you know you can eat Nutella now. These cookies look amazing and I look forward to more Nutella-filled recipes :)

6. 6 Laura Says:
    April 25th, 2011 at 12:59 pm

Yum! Always looking for something new to do with Nutella. Will definitely be trying these. Thanks for sharing!

7. 7 My Kitchen in the Rockies Says:
    April 25th, 2011 at 2:51 pm

Great, another Nutella recipe to try. We LOVE it. I invite you to visit my blog for several yummy Nutella treats like, Nutella cake, Nutella cookies with hazelnuts or hazelnut sandwich cookies with Nutella cream filling.
    I will have to try your salty version. Thanks so much. Kirsten

8. 8 Jenna Says:
    April 25th, 2011 at 3:06 pm

Oh, those look evil and wonderful! You know what else is amazing (now that you’ve entered the world of nutella)–a nutella-smeared crepe fresh off the press. They served those in Paris when I studied abroad there–that’s my kind of street food. =)

9. 9 Amanda Says:
    April 25th, 2011 at 3:54 pm

What beautiful cookies!! Great job!!

10. 10 Robyn | Add a Pinch Says:
    April 25th, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Gorgeous cookies! Love these!

11. 11 Lucy@The Sweet Touch Says:
    April 25th, 2011 at 4:20 pm

Those food allergies can be really scary! I’m glad the Nutella worked for you. These cookies look delicious – I love sea salt on anything sweet!

12. 12 Christina @ This Woman Cooks! Says:
    April 25th, 2011 at 4:31 pm

I loooove nutella and so does the hubby, way more than I do actually. He’d be all over these.

13. 13 Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking Says:
    April 25th, 2011 at 5:21 pm

Tracy, these cookies are calling my name! They look absolutely delicious and I love that you topped ‘em with sea salt, too. Thanks for sharing and making me drool over your delicious recipe and photos!

14. 14 Jennifurla Says:
    April 25th, 2011 at 5:26 pm

Oh cool, glad I have no allergies to worry about but happy you found this! They look great

15. 15 paddleattachment Says:
    April 25th, 2011 at 6:00 pm

Yum! This looks like a match made in heaven!

16. 16 Cookin' Canuck Says:
    April 25th, 2011 at 7:47 pm

Now you’re done for! There’s no resisting Nutella once you’ve tasted it for the first time. Your cookies sound fantastic.

17. 17 Nichol Says:
    April 25th, 2011 at 8:29 pm

Nutella in anything is wonderful. These sound delicious.

18. 18 Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen Says:
    April 25th, 2011 at 8:48 pm

Yeah, join the Nutella fan club! It’s good stuff and these look amazing. So glad you can enjoy it with no bad effects.

19. 19 carolinaheartstrings Says:
    April 25th, 2011 at 8:52 pm

Wow. Those look fantastic.

20. 20 Jenny Flake Says:
    April 25th, 2011 at 9:01 pm

Mmmmmm! Love a good Nutella cookie!

21. 21 Cookbook Queen Says:
    April 25th, 2011 at 9:11 pm

How cool!! I am so glad you were able to figure that out–a peanut allergy would really suck.

Your cookies look and sound amazing!!

22. 22 what katie's baking Says:
    April 25th, 2011 at 11:30 pm

all of these nutella recipes i’ve been seeing on the internet are killing me!!
    this one is about to push me over the edge, it looks sooo good!! :)

23. 23 Baking Serendipity Says:
    April 26th, 2011 at 12:11 am

I love Nutella! Your cookies look wonderful…sea salt is the perfect garnish :)

24. 24 faithy Says:
    April 26th, 2011 at 12:42 am

These are fab! I have to try these!

25. 25 Galen Says:
    April 26th, 2011 at 5:19 am

Hey, these look great! In fact I’m trying it out right now, but I’ve got a question. The ingredients list only mentions the salt for sprinkling, but the directions say to mix the salt with the dry ingredients. Is there supposed to be more salt in the recipe, or was that just an error? Thanks!

26. 26 Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. Says:
    April 26th, 2011 at 9:19 am

These look delish!

27. 27 Maria Says:
    April 26th, 2011 at 10:36 am

I have to make these!

28. 28 Lindsey@Lindselicious Says:
    April 26th, 2011 at 11:30 am

Found your blog because of these great cookies! Can’t wait to try them (love the salty sweet combo) and see what else you’re making.

29. 29 sherry Bocek Says:
    April 26th, 2011 at 5:05 pm

Please answer soon the question about additional salt as I need to make these soon. It is Galen #24

30. 30 Tracy Says:
    April 26th, 2011 at 5:16 pm

Galen / Sherry – It was just a typo; there is no additional salt in the recipe. I have updated the recipe accordingly. Thanks!

31. 31 Kathy - Panini Happy Says:
    April 26th, 2011 at 8:23 pm

These look just wonderful! I just checked, I’ve got 1/3 cup of Nutella on hand. These will be made this week. :-)

32. 32 Megan Says:
    April 27th, 2011 at 12:27 am

We love Nutella in this household and love new Nutella recipes. I like the add sea salt on top!

33. 33 Mary Says:
    April 27th, 2011 at 1:10 am

Made these cookies today and they were wonderful!! They were soft and sweet and salty…YUM!!! Just one question though, how did you get yours to look so nice and puffy? Mine flattened a bit but none the less, they were still delicious!

34. 34 Heather Says:
    April 27th, 2011 at 11:38 am

Oh my! I LOVE Nutella! It’s even better than peanut butter, lol. I’m so glad you can enjoy it!

35. 35 Ari's simple cake recipes Says:
    April 27th, 2011 at 6:08 pm

this is so much on my tastes, I definitely need to buy some nutella

36. 36 naomi Says:
    April 28th, 2011 at 12:34 pm

Will work for cookies-you know I LOVE Nutella! Great recipe.

37. 37 Jamie | My Baking Addiction Says:
    April 28th, 2011 at 5:43 pm

So glad Katie helped you discover the deliciousness that is Nutella! These cookies look amazing.

38. 38 Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction Says:
    April 28th, 2011 at 11:50 pm

These look just perfect… I especially love the addition of the sea salt on top. So pretty!

39. 39 Nancy @SensitivePantry Says:
    May 1st, 2011 at 7:41 am

Mmmm. Tracy, these look su-weet! I love the salt sprinkles on top.

40. 40 Emily Says:
    May 1st, 2011 at 2:25 pm

These look very tasty! We are major nutella eaters around here… my recent favorite is warming it in a bowl and dipping bananas or other fruit like fondue. Amazing!

41. 41 Shaina Says:
    May 1st, 2011 at 9:20 pm

These look so chewy and chocolatey. I can’t wait to try them.

42. 42 Ted Says:
    May 4th, 2011 at 1:25 pm

I have been thinking about trying some Nutella cookies as well and this recipes looks great (very similar to one posted by Two Peas and Their Pod).

In that recipe 1 1/4 cups flour and 2/3 cup cocoa is used but I’m thinking that this version might address the cocoa overpowering the hazelnut flavour issue by some bloggers in that blog (even though she used the hard to find hazelnut extract as well). So I will probably try this version first.

I am still wondering though about the absence of egg in the ingredients. I make gingersnaps quite often and egg is called for in those types of recipes and the pictures for this cookie looks very much like a finished gingersnap.

Any suggestions or comments from Tracy or anyone would be much appreciated.

43. 43 Gaby Says:
    May 5th, 2011 at 12:54 am

I love cookies. I love nutella. Nutella cookies? I definitely have to try them!

44. 44 Tracy Says:
    May 5th, 2011 at 5:25 pm

Ted – Maria’s recipe does look similar to mine, and although I can’t speak for her recipe, there is definitely no egg called for in mine. Hope that helps.

45. 45 Sarah Says:
    December 6th, 2011 at 8:58 pm

Hi Tracy – I made these cookies today and they were delicious! I loved that there was no egg – since I am pregnant, that meant I could sample the batter. :) I also made your Nutella Gingerbread this morning, but wasn’t as successful. I think I filled the pan too much, so will need to remedy that next time around. Thanks for your great recipes! Sarah

46. 46 G Says:
    January 7th, 2012 at 8:29 pm

I have made these twice and people LOVE them. So decadent. So delicious. Thank you!

47. 47 Retta VanDriessche Says:
    September 11th, 2012 at 3:48 pm

Sounds delicious and easy to make. Will try with my holiday baking.. Try wonton wrappers with Nutella. Palce a teaspoon of Nutella in the center of a wonton fold into a trianle and seal edges. Place on a cookie sheet sprayed with cooking spray, bake at 350 for abot 5 min and turn over for 3 min. remove from oven and sprinkle with powdered sugar.

48. 48 Ashley Says:
    November 4th, 2012 at 8:41 pm

I was so excited to make these, but was a little disappointed. They came out tasting fine, but not at all like Nutella.

49. 49 Marilou Simard Says:
    November 11th, 2012 at 8:41 pm

I tried them and they were absolutely delicious! I loved that they were sweet and salty

50. 50 Lori Says:
    December 3rd, 2012 at 12:07 am

Just made these and they are AMAZING!!! Thanks for sharing!

51. 51 Tara Says:
    December 4th, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Making these now for a cookie exchange tomorrow and they’re turning out great! New favorite cookie recipe :)

52. 52 Maja Says:
    December 11th, 2012 at 12:20 am

I’m a Croatian girl and grew up with Nutella. I’m making these for a Christmas potluck at work this week. Can’t wait to try them. My co-workers can’t wait.

53. 53 Kim Edgae Says:
    December 16th, 2012 at 5:04 pm

These cookies are very easy and fabulous !!! Making for cookie exchange and I did make two batches to get 48 cookies. They are a nice size and arrange perfectly in 13×9 Rubbermaid. Thanks for sharing!!!!