Nutella Cookies with Sea Salt

Nutella Cookies with Sea Salt - 5

I’ve never in my life tried nutella until a couple weeks ago. I was talking to Katie, a good food blogging friend of mine, about food allergies because her son has a severe peanut allergy like I do. She mentioned that he could have nutella, which intrigued me…somehow, I never knew that nutella is processed in a peanut-free facility. I was still a little nervous about eating it because I wasn’t sure whether or not I was allergic to hazelnuts themselves, but I decided to give it a try since I’ve had plenty of hazelnut-flavored foods in the past (don’t worry, I had an EpiPen nearby just in case!). I started with just a little bit and worked up to a spoonful, and I had no reaction of any kind. Not only that, but this stuff is amazingly delicious! Seriously, I’m now addicted to it. Of course, I couldn’t wait to bake with it. The first thing I baked were these nutella cookies with sea salt to satisfy my craving for something sweet and salty, and they definitely hit the spot. I hope you enjoy them too – and you can expect to see a lot more nutella recipes on my blog in the future!

Whisk together the flour, baking powder, and cocoa powder. Set aside.

Nutella Cookies with Sea Salt - 1

Using an electric mixer or stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar. Add in the vanilla extract and nutella, mixing until smooth.

Nutella Cookies with Sea Salt - 2

Add the dry ingredients half at a time alternately with the milk until well-combined. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and let chill in the refrigerator 15 minutes before baking.

Nutella Cookies with Sea Salt - 3

When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and roll the dough into 1″ balls. Place 2″ apart on the parchment paper. Press down gently and sprinkle with sea salt.

Nutella Cookies with Sea Salt - 4

Bake 10-12 minutes until just starting to set. Let cool for a few minutes on the baking sheet before removing to a cooling rack to cool completely. Makes about 3 dozen cookies.

Nutella Cookies with Sea Salt - 5

Posted by on April 25, 2011.

Tags: , ,

1. Tracy, these look FANTASTIC. Absolutely fantastic. I’m so glad you can enjoy Nutella. A whole new chocolately hazelnutty world has opened up to you :)

by Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies on Apr 25, 2011 at 12:07 pm

2. Love ANYTHNIG With Nutella… these are no exception!

by Liz @ BLog is the New Black on Apr 25, 2011 at 12:18 pm

3. Ok I have read SO MANY recipes and food blog posts with Nutella in them and I guess it is high time I try it for myself as well!

by Allison @ Novice Life on Apr 25, 2011 at 12:24 pm

4. Sweet and salty – my favorite combo!

by Jessica @ How Sweet on Apr 25, 2011 at 12:42 pm

5. I’m so glad you know you can eat Nutella now. These cookies look amazing and I look forward to more Nutella-filled recipes :)

by Katrina on Apr 25, 2011 at 12:51 pm

6. Yum! Always looking for something new to do with Nutella. Will definitely be trying these. Thanks for sharing!

by Laura on Apr 25, 2011 at 12:59 pm

7. Great, another Nutella recipe to try. We LOVE it. I invite you to visit my blog for several yummy Nutella treats like, Nutella cake, Nutella cookies with hazelnuts or hazelnut sandwich cookies with Nutella cream filling.
    I will have to try your salty version. Thanks so much. Kirsten

by My Kitchen in the Rockies on Apr 25, 2011 at 2:51 pm

8. Oh, those look evil and wonderful! You know what else is amazing (now that you’ve entered the world of nutella)–a nutella-smeared crepe fresh off the press. They served those in Paris when I studied abroad there–that’s my kind of street food. =)

by Jenna on Apr 25, 2011 at 3:06 pm

9. What beautiful cookies!! Great job!!

by Amanda on Apr 25, 2011 at 3:54 pm

10. Gorgeous cookies! Love these!

by Robyn | Add a Pinch on Apr 25, 2011 at 3:59 pm

11. Those food allergies can be really scary! I’m glad the Nutella worked for you. These cookies look delicious – I love sea salt on anything sweet!

by Lucy@The Sweet Touch on Apr 25, 2011 at 4:20 pm

12. I loooove nutella and so does the hubby, way more than I do actually. He’d be all over these.

by Christina @ This Woman Cooks! on Apr 25, 2011 at 4:31 pm

13. Tracy, these cookies are calling my name! They look absolutely delicious and I love that you topped ‘em with sea salt, too. Thanks for sharing and making me drool over your delicious recipe and photos!

by Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking on Apr 25, 2011 at 5:21 pm

14. Oh cool, glad I have no allergies to worry about but happy you found this! They look great

by Jennifurla on Apr 25, 2011 at 5:26 pm

15. Yum! This looks like a match made in heaven!

by paddleattachment on Apr 25, 2011 at 6:00 pm

16. Now you’re done for! There’s no resisting Nutella once you’ve tasted it for the first time. Your cookies sound fantastic.

by Cookin' Canuck on Apr 25, 2011 at 7:47 pm

17. Nutella in anything is wonderful. These sound delicious.

by Nichol on Apr 25, 2011 at 8:29 pm

18. Yeah, join the Nutella fan club! It’s good stuff and these look amazing. So glad you can enjoy it with no bad effects.

by Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen on Apr 25, 2011 at 8:48 pm

19. Wow. Those look fantastic.

by carolinaheartstrings on Apr 25, 2011 at 8:52 pm

20. Mmmmmm! Love a good Nutella cookie!

by Jenny Flake on Apr 25, 2011 at 9:01 pm

21. How cool!! I am so glad you were able to figure that out–a peanut allergy would really suck.

Your cookies look and sound amazing!!

by Cookbook Queen on Apr 25, 2011 at 9:11 pm

22. all of these nutella recipes i’ve been seeing on the internet are killing me!!
    this one is about to push me over the edge, it looks sooo good!! :)

by what katie's baking on Apr 25, 2011 at 11:30 pm

23. I love Nutella! Your cookies look wonderful…sea salt is the perfect garnish :)

by Baking Serendipity on Apr 26, 2011 at 12:11 am

24. These are fab! I have to try these!

by faithy on Apr 26, 2011 at 12:42 am

25. Hey, these look great! In fact I’m trying it out right now, but I’ve got a question. The ingredients list only mentions the salt for sprinkling, but the directions say to mix the salt with the dry ingredients. Is there supposed to be more salt in the recipe, or was that just an error? Thanks!

by Galen on Apr 26, 2011 at 5:19 am

26. These look delish!

by Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. on Apr 26, 2011 at 9:19 am

27. I have to make these!

by Maria on Apr 26, 2011 at 10:36 am

28. Found your blog because of these great cookies! Can’t wait to try them (love the salty sweet combo) and see what else you’re making.

by Lindsey@Lindselicious on Apr 26, 2011 at 11:30 am

29. Please answer soon the question about additional salt as I need to make these soon. It is Galen #24

by sherry Bocek on Apr 26, 2011 at 5:05 pm

30. Galen / Sherry – It was just a typo; there is no additional salt in the recipe. I have updated the recipe accordingly. Thanks!

by Tracy on Apr 26, 2011 at 5:16 pm

31. These look just wonderful! I just checked, I’ve got 1/3 cup of Nutella on hand. These will be made this week. :-)

by Kathy - Panini Happy on Apr 26, 2011 at 8:23 pm

32. We love Nutella in this household and love new Nutella recipes. I like the add sea salt on top!

by Megan on Apr 27, 2011 at 12:27 am

33. Made these cookies today and they were wonderful!! They were soft and sweet and salty…YUM!!! Just one question though, how did you get yours to look so nice and puffy? Mine flattened a bit but none the less, they were still delicious!

by Mary on Apr 27, 2011 at 1:10 am

34. Oh my! I LOVE Nutella! It’s even better than peanut butter, lol. I’m so glad you can enjoy it!

by Heather on Apr 27, 2011 at 11:38 am

35. this is so much on my tastes, I definitely need to buy some nutella

by Ari's simple cake recipes on Apr 27, 2011 at 6:08 pm

36. Will work for cookies-you know I LOVE Nutella! Great recipe.

by naomi on Apr 28, 2011 at 12:34 pm

37. So glad Katie helped you discover the deliciousness that is Nutella! These cookies look amazing.

by Jamie | My Baking Addiction on Apr 28, 2011 at 5:43 pm

38. These look just perfect… I especially love the addition of the sea salt on top. So pretty!

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Apr 28, 2011 at 11:50 pm

39. Mmmm. Tracy, these look su-weet! I love the salt sprinkles on top.

by Nancy @SensitivePantry on May 1, 2011 at 7:41 am

40. These look very tasty! We are major nutella eaters around here… my recent favorite is warming it in a bowl and dipping bananas or other fruit like fondue. Amazing!

by Emily on May 1, 2011 at 2:25 pm

41. These look so chewy and chocolatey. I can’t wait to try them.

by Shaina on May 1, 2011 at 9:20 pm

42. I have been thinking about trying some Nutella cookies as well and this recipes looks great (very similar to one posted by Two Peas and Their Pod).

In that recipe 1 1/4 cups flour and 2/3 cup cocoa is used but I’m thinking that this version might address the cocoa overpowering the hazelnut flavour issue by some bloggers in that blog (even though she used the hard to find hazelnut extract as well). So I will probably try this version first.

I am still wondering though about the absence of egg in the ingredients. I make gingersnaps quite often and egg is called for in those types of recipes and the pictures for this cookie looks very much like a finished gingersnap.

Any suggestions or comments from Tracy or anyone would be much appreciated.

by Ted on May 4, 2011 at 1:25 pm

43. I love cookies. I love nutella. Nutella cookies? I definitely have to try them!

by Gaby on May 5, 2011 at 12:54 am

44. Ted – Maria’s recipe does look similar to mine, and although I can’t speak for her recipe, there is definitely no egg called for in mine. Hope that helps.

by Tracy on May 5, 2011 at 5:25 pm

45. Hi Tracy – I made these cookies today and they were delicious! I loved that there was no egg – since I am pregnant, that meant I could sample the batter. :) I also made your Nutella Gingerbread this morning, but wasn’t as successful. I think I filled the pan too much, so will need to remedy that next time around. Thanks for your great recipes! Sarah

by Sarah on Dec 6, 2011 at 8:58 pm

46. I have made these twice and people LOVE them. So decadent. So delicious. Thank you!

by G on Jan 7, 2012 at 8:29 pm

47. Sounds delicious and easy to make. Will try with my holiday baking.. Try wonton wrappers with Nutella. Palce a teaspoon of Nutella in the center of a wonton fold into a trianle and seal edges. Place on a cookie sheet sprayed with cooking spray, bake at 350 for abot 5 min and turn over for 3 min. remove from oven and sprinkle with powdered sugar.

by Retta VanDriessche on Sep 11, 2012 at 3:48 pm

48. I was so excited to make these, but was a little disappointed. They came out tasting fine, but not at all like Nutella.

by Ashley on Nov 4, 2012 at 8:41 pm

49. I tried them and they were absolutely delicious! I loved that they were sweet and salty

by Marilou Simard on Nov 11, 2012 at 8:41 pm

50. Just made these and they are AMAZING!!! Thanks for sharing!

by Lori on Dec 3, 2012 at 12:07 am

51. Making these now for a cookie exchange tomorrow and they’re turning out great! New favorite cookie recipe :)

by Tara on Dec 4, 2012 at 3:04 pm

52. I’m a Croatian girl and grew up with Nutella. I’m making these for a Christmas potluck at work this week. Can’t wait to try them. My co-workers can’t wait.

by Maja on Dec 11, 2012 at 12:20 am

53. These cookies are very easy and fabulous !!! Making for cookie exchange and I did make two batches to get 48 cookies. They are a nice size and arrange perfectly in 13×9 Rubbermaid. Thanks for sharing!!!!

by Kim Edgae on Dec 16, 2012 at 5:04 pm