Earth Day Virtual Picnic – Apple Hand Pies

Apple Hand Pies - 5

Happy Earth Day! Today, in the spirit of the Nature Conservancy’s Picnic for the Planet, I’m linking up with some fabulous fellow food bloggers to celebrate the day with a virtual picnic. We’re all bringing something different, whether it be a side dish, snack, dessert or drink, so be sure to check out all of the links below to get in on all the fun. I’m bringing these apple hand pies, which were easy to make with homemade pie crust that I had stashed in the freezer…but if you’re running short on time, you can use store-bought pie crust as well. Either way, make sure you get out today and enjoy a picnic of your own!

Simple Bites | Pressed Sandwiches
My Baking Addiction | Mixed Berry Cheesecakes in a Jar
Bluebonnets & Brownies | Nanny’s Potato Salad
Gourmande in the Kitchen | Honey Ginger Lemonade
Dine & Dish | Sangria
Add A Pinch | Herbed Tortellini Salad
Bakers Royale | Fruit Recipe Roundup
Three Many Cooks | Black and White Caviar
Food for My Family | Homemade Potato Chips and Avocado Ranch Dip
Tickled Red | Tangy Potato Salad
What’s Cooking with Kids | Kale Chips
Confessions of a Cookbook Queen | Mini Lemonade Cakes
TidyMom | Picnic Pies in a Jar

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. To make the filling, combine the diced apples, flour, sugars, cinnamon, salt, and bourbon or rum. Stir until well-coated.

Apple Hand Pies - 1

Roll the pie crust out to about 1/4″ thick. Using a 4″ cookie or biscuit cutter, cut out circles. Drop 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoon of the filling on to each circle of dough.

Apple Hand Pies - 2

Fold the top of the dough over the bottom, and seal the edges.Β Place the pies on the baking sheet and brush with the egg wash. Cut a small slit in the top of each pie.

Apple Hand Pies - 3

Bake 30-40 minutes or until golden brown.

Apple Hand Pies - 4

Makes about 10 pies.

Apple Hand Pies - 5

Posted by on April 22, 2011.

1. Apple pie is one of my most favorite desserts!! These look fabulous!! xoxo

by Cookbook Queen on Apr 22, 2011 at 8:11 am

2. these look fantastic Tracy…….hand pies are on my list to make soon! Thanks for the recipe!

by TidyMom on Apr 22, 2011 at 8:18 am

3. These are adorable, I’m so glad that you chose these for dessert…yummy! Wish we were closer today πŸ™‚ Happy Earth Day!

by Tickled Red on Apr 22, 2011 at 9:16 am

4. We are celebrating Mother’s day early….think these need to be on the menu

by Camille on Apr 22, 2011 at 10:34 am

5. I love apple pies! These look delicious and so beautiful, Tracy.

by Robyn | Add a Pinch on Apr 22, 2011 at 10:54 am

6. Yum! I love apple pie, and this looks like an awesome and fun variation.

by Jenna on Apr 22, 2011 at 11:23 am

7. Tracy, these are so so adorable!! I would love to have these at any picnic.. and would probably stuff myself silly with them first, before anything I *should* be eating.

by Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies on Apr 22, 2011 at 11:33 am

8. How cute are these! They look just wonderful πŸ™‚

by Amanda on Apr 22, 2011 at 12:03 pm

9. You are right – these are the perfect picnic fare! My kids would love these, for sure.

by Kristen on Apr 22, 2011 at 12:19 pm

10. Hand pies make me swoon! I especially like this apple variety. Happy Earth Day to you!

by Katrina on Apr 22, 2011 at 12:28 pm

11. I love making mini-pies. Interesting addition of the bourbon/rum, I’ll have to try that next time.

by Monica on Apr 22, 2011 at 1:06 pm

12. what a great idea. My kiddos would love these!

by G. on Apr 22, 2011 at 2:55 pm

13. Love hand pies! They are the quintessential picnic food.

by Shaina on Apr 22, 2011 at 3:16 pm

14. Those pies are the cutest! I’ll need to give those a try!

by Wenderly on Apr 22, 2011 at 4:07 pm

15. Now who wouldn’t adore these hand pies at a picnic! Great idea & seem simple to put together in a pinch.

by marla {family fresh cooking} on Apr 22, 2011 at 5:10 pm

16. I am so ready for this picnic. Been reading everyone’s posts and I’m about ready to hop in the car and visit all of you to partake in the fabulous food. I would never think of hand pies for a picnic dessert but it’s a natural! Perfect for any occasion and all ages.

by Nancy @SensitivePantry on Apr 22, 2011 at 8:00 pm

17. Portable apple pies! Yum, I love how simple they are to make too.

by Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen on Apr 22, 2011 at 8:59 pm

18. These are so cute! They appeal to me because I always like to eat with my hands πŸ™‚ I bet you could put a lot of seasonal fruits in there too.

by Maggy@ThreeManyCooks on Apr 22, 2011 at 9:28 pm

19. Love the idea of the virtual picnic. These hand pies are a fantastic dessert idea for a picnic. So fun!

by Cookin' Canuck on Apr 22, 2011 at 10:29 pm

20. These are just perfect in every way, Tracy. I wouldn’t be bringing any home with me after the picnic, that is for sure.

Thanks for joining us! Happy Earth Day!

by Aimee @ Simple Bites on Apr 23, 2011 at 7:29 am

21. I am a sucker for anything miniature, so these hand pies are absolutely my type of picnic food!

by Jamie | My Baking Addiction on Apr 23, 2011 at 9:16 am

22. What a great idea! Just like McDonalds, but I bet wayyyy better πŸ™‚

by shelly (cookies and cups) on Apr 23, 2011 at 9:41 am

23. I want one! They are so cute!

by Christina @ This Woman Cooks! on Apr 23, 2011 at 10:29 am

24. These are adorable and so easy to eat!

by Maris (In Good Taste) on Apr 24, 2011 at 1:16 pm

25. Those really are the cutest little pies ever! Love them πŸ™‚

by Jenny Flake on Apr 25, 2011 at 9:09 pm

26. EEEK- So freaking adorable! I love these pies.

by naomi on Apr 28, 2011 at 12:24 pm

27. I love this post – it is the perfect blueprint for anything in season. And it’s hard to resist hand-held food…especially if it’s little πŸ™‚

by Michelle (What's Cooking with Kids) on Apr 28, 2011 at 2:58 pm

28. These are just darling, Tracy!!!

by bridget {bake at 350} on Apr 30, 2011 at 3:52 pm

29. Just made these this afternoon for our big cookout this weekend. They are really easy to make and delicious! I’ve made several of your recipes and have loved all of them.

by The Food Allergy Mom on May 27, 2011 at 6:01 pm

30. These look so yummy that I had to pin them. I hope you don’t mind.

by Jennifer on Jan 6, 2014 at 10:35 pm

31. Ok. I didn’t see the copyright details before I pinned. I have deleted it. I am so sorry.

by jennifer on Jan 6, 2014 at 10:43 pm