Grapefruit Cherry Marmalade

Grapefruit Cherry Marmalade

The busiest time of the year for canning is almost upon us, and I couldn’t be more excited! Even though we’re still a few months away from berries being in season here in upstate NY, which I love to use to make jams and jellies, the local markets are already beginning to carry a larger variety of fresh fruits and vegetables, including rhubarb, one of my favorites. I’m also on a mission to use up things I have in the freezer from last year so that I can make some room, one of which was a large bag of fresh-picked cherries. I had a lot of cherry juice on my hands after they defrosted, so I decided to put it to good use in this grapefruit marmalade. The resulting preserves are bright and cheery, full of both winter and summer flavor. I hope you love it as much a I do! And, I hope you’ll join me in gearing up for canning season – getting started is easier than you think! Feel free to check out my post on canning basics to get you started, and you can always send any questions you have my way…there will be lots of canning going on here in the near future!

Cut off the tops and bottoms of the grapefruits and score the peel of each one lengthwise into quarters. Remove the peel and set aside the fruit. Place the pieces of peel into a large sauce pan and fill with water until covered. Bring to a boil over medium-low heat and boil for 10 minutes. Cover with cold water again and return to a boil for another 10 minutes until the peel softens. Drain. Using a spoon, scrape the pith (the white stuff) from the peel. Cut the peel into thin strips. Using a knife, cut the membrane off the grapefruit segments. Place the fruit in a sauce pan and squeeze the membrane over the pan to extract as much juice as possible before discarding the membrane.

Add the cooked peel and the cherry juice and water to the fruit, and then bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat and boil gently for about a half hour or until the peel is very soft. Remove from the heat and measure 9 cups of the fruit mixture, adding water if necessary.

When ready to can, prepare your supplies. Bring the temperature of the glass jars up by processing them in hot water for several minutes. Heat a few cups of water in a small saucepan for the lids. In a large sauce pan, bring the fruit mixture to a boil over medium-high heat. Add in the sugar gradually, maintaining the boil. Boil hard, stirring constantly, until the mixture reaches gel stage, 25-30 minutes. When you reach gel stage, skim off the foam and ladle the hot marmalade into the hot jars, leaving 1/4″ headspace. When ready to can, prepare your supplies. Bring the temperature of the glass jars up by processing them in hot water for several minutes. Heat a few cups of water in a small saucepan for the lids. When the jars are ready, fill them with the marmalade and place the lids and bands on top, screwing on the bands just to fingertip-tight. Place the full jars back into the boiling water and boil 10 minutes. Remove from the water and place the jars on a towel, and let the jars cool. The seals should suck down (you’ll hear a popping noise as they do). Makes 8 eight-ounce jars.

Posted by on April 20, 2011.

Categories: canning

1. What a great post. Thanks for all the direction. I am gonig to try canning this year!!!!

by carolinaheartstrings on Apr 20, 2011 at 12:25 pm

2. So fun, Tracy! I love the flavor combination.

by Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies on Apr 20, 2011 at 12:39 pm

3. two of my favorite flavors!!

by Jessica @ How Sweet on Apr 20, 2011 at 12:53 pm

4. Lovely!!

by Jenny Flake on Apr 20, 2011 at 12:56 pm

5. Sounds like a great combination – two of my favorite flavors. I just might get the courage with help from your posts to can something soon!

by JenniferA on Apr 20, 2011 at 1:14 pm

6. I admire your ability to do this… I haven’t tried canning since I was in the kitchen with my mom many moons ago. This looks so good though.. inspiring!

by Kristen on Apr 20, 2011 at 2:55 pm

7. I also admire your canning passion–I tried it once and though it wasn’t a disaster, it was much more challenging than I expected. Probably in part that was because I lacked the proper equipment that would have made things easier. Anyway, I plan on mastering canning at some point, so I’m eager to follow you along in your adventures!

by Jenna on Apr 20, 2011 at 3:30 pm

8. This sounds wonderful! I am so putting this on some homemade bread 🙂

by Katrina on Apr 20, 2011 at 4:13 pm

9. I used to make jam when I was a cihld with my grandma but I haven’t made it since. Now you make me want to start making jam again! I LOVE the flavors of this marmalade. What a great idea to pair cherry juice and grapefruit. And I love that you used two different kinds of grapefruit. 🙂

by Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels on Apr 20, 2011 at 5:25 pm

10. I’m very interested by this flavor combo. I would love to try canning this year!

by Lucy @ The Sweet Touch on Apr 20, 2011 at 5:26 pm

11. I have never done home canning but your beautiful marmalade has inspired me!

by Maris (In Good Taste) on Apr 20, 2011 at 7:20 pm

12. Great flavor combo! Once again you have inspired me to try canning:)

by Raina on Apr 20, 2011 at 9:50 pm

13. Holy yum! I am so ready to get started on some canning this year… This looks like the perfect recipe to start with.

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Apr 20, 2011 at 10:06 pm

14. I didn’t know you were a big canner, Tracy! I’m going to be picking your brain.

Gorgeous marmalade. Do you ship? 😉

by Aimee @ Simple Bites on Apr 20, 2011 at 10:36 pm

15. What a great idea for a flavor combination, I’ve never seen grapefruit and cherries together before.

by Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen on Apr 21, 2011 at 3:42 am

16. Great ideea adding cherry juice .. I need to empty my freezer too!

by Ari's simple cake recipes on Apr 21, 2011 at 4:46 am

17. This looks so delicious! I could go for a jar of this on toast this morning.

by Robyn | Add a Pinch on Apr 21, 2011 at 8:34 am

18. I have never ever “canned” anything! I do believe it is about time! I would be in heaven if I had some of this on bagel right this very minute.

by Wenderly on Apr 21, 2011 at 3:55 pm

19. This sounds so good! I can’t wait to get into canning myself! 🙂

by Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker on Apr 21, 2011 at 10:21 pm

20. I have vowed to start canning this season, so thanks for the inspiration!

by Jamie | My Baking Addiction on Apr 22, 2011 at 11:33 am

21. I’ve never canned with grapefruit before – this sounds delicious!

by Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles on Apr 23, 2011 at 7:58 pm

22. I was given a jar of grapefruit cherry marlalade as a gift; do you by any chance have any recipes to use it in?

by BJ Larson on Jan 30, 2013 at 9:29 pm