Brussels Sprouts with Garlic, Onion, and Bacon

Bacon, Onion, and Brussels Sprouts - 4

I don’t remember ever eating brussels sprouts as a kid. When I first started to cook, whenever I thought of brussels sprouts, I always thought of the kind you get in the frozen section of the grocery store…and boiling them up for dinner just never sounded like a good idea to me. But when I came across some fresh ones in the produce section not too long ago, they looked so good that I just had to try them. Instead of boiling them like their frozen counterparts though, I decided to sauté mine with some sweet onions and garlic. The flavor was amazing, and I couldn’t believe how good they tasted! Now I have a new side to add to my meal rotation – and I’m looking forward to changing things up a bit and grilling them in the summer, too. If you’ve always steered clear of brussels sprouts, I hope that you’ll give this recipe a try!

In a skillet over medium heat, add the bacon and fry until browned. Remove to a paper towel to drain, and then add the onions and garlic to the pan and sauté until the onions are tender.

Bacon, Onion, and Brussels Sprouts - 2

Quarter the brussels sprouts and add to the pan. Sauté until browned. Season with salt and pepper if desired.

Bacon, Onion, and Brussels Sprouts - 3

Cook 2-3 more minutes and then transfer to a bowl to serve. Crumble the cooked bacon into pieces and sprinkle over the top. Serves 2 as a side.

Bacon, Onion, and Brussels Sprouts - 5

Posted by on April 4, 2011.

Tags: , ,

Categories: soups, salads, & sides

1. Mmmm! I love brussels sprouts!

by Maria on Apr 4, 2011 at 11:42 am

2. I’ve tried. I’ve really tried. I just can’t. I even tried them the way everyone says they are so good – roasted with olive oil. Nope. Just can’t do it.

Yours look beautiful though – makes me wish I liked them! 🙂

by JenniferA on Apr 4, 2011 at 11:49 am

3. Tracy, these look so good! You know what else is really good on sprouts? Nutmeg. I would add just a little bit of nutmeg to your recipe, and it would send me into sprouts euphoria.

by Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies on Apr 4, 2011 at 11:54 am

4. I love brussels sprouts!! I’ve loved them since I was a kid. If only I could get the rest of my family to eat them…

by Cookbook Queen on Apr 4, 2011 at 11:54 am

5. Guess what’s in my fridge right now? Yep, brussels sprouts and bacon! Hurray – I”ll make this 🙂 xo

by Michelle (What's Cooking with Kids) on Apr 4, 2011 at 12:00 pm

6. If this has garlic onion and bacon, I’d eat the whole dish! Looks delish!!

by Jenny Flake on Apr 4, 2011 at 12:07 pm

7. Tracy, I LOVE brussel sprouts. Pan roasting is my go to way to prep them. They never fail to disappoint but I like your addition of onion and bacon.

by Wendi @ Bon Appetith Hon on Apr 4, 2011 at 12:18 pm

8. How did you manage to make brussel sprouts look GOOD?? Great job girl!

by Amanda on Apr 4, 2011 at 12:28 pm

9. This looks like a fantastic recipe for brussel sprouts. Cannot wait to give it a try.

by carolinaheartstrings on Apr 4, 2011 at 12:45 pm

10. I love brussels sprouts but have only ever roasted them, I’m looking forward to trying your sauté method!

by Karis' Kitchen on Apr 4, 2011 at 1:01 pm

11. I love brussels sprouts and I love onions! Bookmarked!

by Keeley on Apr 4, 2011 at 1:37 pm

12. I’m with Jennifer – I REALLY want to like them for the sake of being “adult” and all, but they’re just not for me. Yours, however, look like they could convert to a brussels sprouts lover, for sure. Thanks for sharing and making me think twice, Tracey! 🙂

by Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking on Apr 4, 2011 at 2:35 pm

13. I’m a huge fan of roasting them! And if you peel them all apart you can make chips out of them in the oven, so tasty!

by stephchows on Apr 4, 2011 at 2:59 pm

14. I actually LOVE brussels!!

by Jessica @ How Sweet on Apr 4, 2011 at 3:43 pm

15. Wow they look awesome. I have just awarded you a Stylish Blogger Award. Check it out here.

by Kate on Apr 4, 2011 at 10:02 pm

16. I usually roast them with carrots, potatoes and what ever veggies I have. These look so good I’m going to try them this way next time!
    Thanks 🙂

by Desiree on Apr 4, 2011 at 10:37 pm

17. Yes, please. These sound delicious!

by Robyn | Add a Pinch on Apr 4, 2011 at 11:29 pm

18. It’s such a shame that Brussels sprouts get a bad rap, they just need a little love and caramelization to bring out their goodness.

by Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen on Apr 5, 2011 at 2:25 am

19. Another thing I just started doing to sprouts is adding olive oil and balsamic vinegar when I saute- the balsamic adds a sweet tang

by Alexis @ There She Goes on Apr 5, 2011 at 7:55 am

20. I have the strangest feelings on brussels sprouts – I historically have hated all-things-cabbage, but I’m actually warming up to the little ones! I love the addition of onion & bacon!

by Liz on Apr 5, 2011 at 8:28 am

21. I love Brussels Sprouts and these look amazing! Can’t wait to try them!

by Anne at Flour Box Bakery on Apr 5, 2011 at 8:40 am

22. Those look awesome! My older sister likes to roast them- just drizzle some olive oil, salt, pepper, and maybe a little balsamic vin- it’s really really good. 🙂

by Sarah on Apr 5, 2011 at 9:39 am

23. This is the way to enjoy Brussels sprouts – so much better than the boiled version I had as a kid. I also like to shred, then saute them, which gives them a really nice texture.

by Cookin' Canuck on Apr 5, 2011 at 12:15 pm

24. I looove brussels sprouts! This is an awesome recipe.

by Katrina on Apr 5, 2011 at 1:18 pm

25. I love anything with brussel sprouts, tonight we are having shredded & roasted brussel sprout quesadillas with onions and cheese.

by Jennifurla on Apr 5, 2011 at 1:59 pm

26. I now have a craving for a massive bowl of brussels sprouts. They look great!

by Shaina on Apr 5, 2011 at 3:31 pm

27. I only at brussels sprouts for the first time this past fall. And I, too, fell in love with them. I’ve now been collecting recipes using them! 🙂

by Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles on Apr 5, 2011 at 3:40 pm

28. My husband loooooves Brussel Sprouts. I like them, too, but never the frozen ones. Blech. Only fresh, and sauteed as you have done them here.

by Karen @ Oldfangled on Apr 6, 2011 at 12:34 pm

29. low carb deliciousness!

by Gemma on Apr 6, 2011 at 8:43 pm

30. Oh my goodness, my surfer is just going to loooove this recipe. Brussels Sprouts are one of his favorite veggies 🙂

by Tickled Red on Apr 6, 2011 at 10:52 pm

31. Yum! I love Brussels sprouts and I’ve been making them a lot lately. These look fabulous.

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Apr 7, 2011 at 2:00 pm

32. I’ve always loved brussels Sprouts. We’re in Massachusetts right now, and I just ordered a special side dish at dinner the other night- Brussels Sprouts w/ Bacon. They looked just like this!

by Lori @ RecipeGirl on Apr 8, 2011 at 9:19 am

33. Like yourself, I never liked brussels sprouts. The pictures however look very delicious, so I might give them one last chance!

by Andy on Apr 11, 2011 at 5:10 am

34. I’ve never sauteed brussel sprouts. But I can’t wait to try it now! They look delish this way!

by naomi on Apr 12, 2011 at 2:51 pm

35. I remember deciding as a child that I didn’t like brussels sprouts, but I think it must have been the way they were made! It is one vegetable that I have never prepared myself, but I think I’d like to using this yummy-looking recipe!

by Beth on Mar 25, 2013 at 10:50 pm