Strawberry-Rhubarb Fool

Strawberry-Rhubarb Fool - 3

It may be April Fool’s day, but I’m not fooling you with this delicious dessert – promise! One of my favorite things about April is that rhubarb, which happens to be one of my favorite things to bake with, begins trickling in at the farmer’s market as one of the first sure signs of spring’s arrival here in upstate NY. While I haven’t seen any on the stands just yet, I decided I couldn’t wait any longer…so I raided my freezer for some of the rhubarb I froze last year. This simple and elegant dessert is perfect for welcoming the arrival of fresh fruits and vegetables, longer days, and warmer weather. Happy April!

For the strawberry whipped cream:

For the rhubarb:

To make the strawberry purée for the whipped cream, blend the berries in a food processor until smooth. Add in the lemon juice and sugar and pulse until combined. Let chill in the refrigerator while preparing the whipped cream.

Strawberry-Rhubarb Fool - 2

In a large bowl, beat the heavy cream until soft peaks form. Add in the powdered sugar and then the berry purée, and beat to combine.

In a small sauce pan over medium heat, combine the rhubarb, 1/4 cup water, and 1/3 cup granulated sugar. Cook until the rhubarb softens and the mixture thickens, about 10-15 minutes.

Strawberry-Rhubarb Fool - 1

Remove from the heat and pour the rhubarb mixture into a small bowl. Refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour (or if you’re impatient like me, stick it in the freezer until chilled). When ready, in wine or dessert glasses, layer the rhubarb alternately with the raspberry whipped cream. Refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour, before serving. Serves 2.

Strawberry-Rhubarb Fool - 4

Posted by on April 1, 2011.

1. Not only is it gorgeous, it looks delicious!

by Jessica @ How Sweet on Apr 1, 2011 at 9:24 am

2. It is essential that I get some rhubarb over here. These treats look wonderful! xo

by marla {family fresh cooking} on Apr 1, 2011 at 9:29 am

3. How pretty!! I have never ever had Rhubarb…but I’ve always been curious about it!! Reminds me of pink celery 😉

by Cookbook Queen on Apr 1, 2011 at 10:29 am

4. Fun recipe for April Fool’s Day!

by Lori @ RecipeGirl on Apr 1, 2011 at 10:46 am

5. I am a big fan of rhubarb and pudding! That fool looks beautiful and divine.

Cheers,

Rosa

by Rosa on Apr 1, 2011 at 11:08 am

6. I love rhubarb. This looks gorgeous-perfect for spring and a for lighter dessert.

by naomi on Apr 1, 2011 at 12:46 pm

7. Wow, loving this and the gorgeous color! Yummy!

by Jenny Flake on Apr 1, 2011 at 12:47 pm

8. Growing up, my dad was big on taking our family to hotel buffet-style hotel brunches. My favorite one was the Marriott, mainly for one reason: the sweets table. My favorite was the mousse in wine glasses that looked just like your Strawberry-Rhubarb dessert.

I absolutely have to try this recipe, both for deliciousness and nostalgia’s sake.

by Ali @ Three Baking Sheets on Apr 1, 2011 at 1:04 pm

9. I love love love rhubarb and this looks like a wonderful recipe. I am looking for some at our farmer’s market so I can try this.

by carolinaheartstrings on Apr 1, 2011 at 1:24 pm

10. Looks wonderful!

by Amanda on Apr 1, 2011 at 3:00 pm

11. If this is how you fool, then count me in! I am so excited for strawberry and rhubarb season.

by Cookin' Canuck on Apr 1, 2011 at 6:37 pm

12. My mom looooves rhubarb – I’ll have to make this for her!

by Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) on Apr 1, 2011 at 10:19 pm

13. I am ready for strawberries and rhubarb, too! This is so pretty. What a fun treat to serve.

by Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles on Apr 1, 2011 at 11:24 pm

14. Love, love, love rhubarb! I’m going to see if I can find any yet, I’m dying to start making rhubarb desserts like this.

by Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen on Apr 2, 2011 at 8:55 am

15. I love that you froze rhubarb! Such a great idea…one that I am going to adapt as soon as rhubarb appears here in NYC! These fools are anything but foolish…in fact, I could go for one right now…at 9AM. Mid-morning snack? I think YES.

by Joanne on Apr 2, 2011 at 9:04 am

16. Great idea and use of rhubarb. This is going to make a wonderful summer treat on hot days.

by Tickled Red on Apr 2, 2011 at 3:34 pm

17. This looks fantastic! I’m so excited to see rhubarb recipes coming back again. Winter is over!!

by Katrina on Apr 2, 2011 at 4:18 pm

18. Such a pretty dessert! I can’t wait until our rhubarb is ready!

by Maria on Apr 2, 2011 at 4:55 pm

19. What a treat! I have never seen a dish like this but know I would love it. It looks beautiful and delicious:)

by Raina on Apr 2, 2011 at 10:20 pm

20. So pretty! I wish Spring would hurry up and show itself around here!

by Christina @ This Woman Cooks! on Apr 3, 2011 at 3:24 pm

21. I’m not sure how I missed the other day, but I’ve got some rhubarb hanging out in my freezer right now that this would be perfect for. I think I’ll make this for James when he comes home tomorrow!

by Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies on Apr 4, 2011 at 9:57 am

22. Love strawberry rhubarb desserts, and this looks so fresh and light.

by Shaina on Apr 5, 2011 at 5:10 pm

23. I am so glad to see rhubarb recipes!!! It’s one of my favorites and I love finding new ways to use it and this “fool” sounds absolutely perfect!!!

by Nancy@acommunaltable on Apr 6, 2011 at 9:52 pm

24. This looks so good! I’ve been waiting for some local rhubarb around here, but I haven’t seen any yet. I wish I had been smart enough to freeze some last year.

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Apr 7, 2011 at 2:33 pm