Spicy Dark Chocolate-Coffee Cupcakes with Cardamom Buttercream

Spicy Dark Chocolate Cupcakes - 8

Back in October, I received a generous surprise package in the mail from Scharffen Berger. Not only did it contain several chocolate bars, but there was also a flyer describing their Chocolate Adventure contest. Last year’s contest was all about cupcakes…the rules for entering were simply that you had to create a recipe using Scharffen Berger chocolate and at least one of their adventure ingredients. It sounded like fun, so I thought, why not? I came up with a cupcake recipe and submitted it. And, even though I wasn’t one of the winners (apparently they were big on stout beer, and that wasn’t one of the ingredients I chose), I still had fun making them – they are definitely the most unique cupcake I’ve made yet! The combination of chocolate, coffee, and cardamom is a match made in heaven – and the chili pepper gives them just enough of a kick to make things interesting. If you’re feeling adventurous too, give them a try!

For the frosting:

To make the cupcakes, preheat the oven to 325 degrees and line a non-stick muffin pan with cupcake liners. Combine the butter and chocolate in double boiler and melt, or place in a microwave-safe bowl and heat at 50% power for 30 second increments until melted.

Spicy Dark Chocolate Cupcakes - 2

In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, pepper flakes, and coffee grounds.

Spicy Dark Chocolate Cupcakes - 3

In another small bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar. Stir in the vanilla extract and yogurt. Add the chocolate mixture and stir until combined, and then add in the flour mixture half at a time until well-combined.

Spicy Dark Chocolate Cupcakes - 5

Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups. Bake 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove to a wire rack to cool before frosting.

Spicy Dark Chocolate Cupcakes - 6

To make the frosting, beat the butter, vanilla extract, and cardamom until smooth. Add in the powdered sugar gradually until all of it has been incorporated. Beat until fluffy and then decorate the cupcakes as desired.

Spicy Dark Chocolate Cupcakes - 7

Posted by on March 28, 2011.

1. These look gorgeous! I can’t believe Scharffen Berger didn’t choose yours as a finalist. I demand a recount! 😉

by JenniferA on Mar 28, 2011 at 9:29 am

2. The addition of cardamom has certainly grabbed my attention. I’ve only recently started using it and have fallen in love with the flavor. I’ve only used it with savory but I’ll bet it’s great in sweets too. Thanks for the recipe!

by Renee (kudos kitchen) on Mar 28, 2011 at 9:30 am

3. Those cupcakes look amazing! I love that you used cardamom. Delicious and so fancy!

by Lindsay @Eat, Knit, Grow on Mar 28, 2011 at 9:37 am

4. *Faint* thunk!

by RJ Flamingo on Mar 28, 2011 at 9:42 am

5. Tracy, you’ve really outdone yourself here. Spicy cupcakes, creamy cardamom buttercream? I die. I seriously die, and I want one of these cupcakes for breakfast!

by Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies on Mar 28, 2011 at 9:45 am

6. How interesting! I’m a big spicy chocolate fan. But I never thought about adding cardamom to the mix! Thanks for sharing 🙂

by DessertForTwo on Mar 28, 2011 at 9:54 am

7. I am surprised you did not win with these wonderful cupcakes. They sound delicious with the chocolate and spicy pepper…wow..and the buttercream with cardamom sounds amazing.

by Raina on Mar 28, 2011 at 10:04 am

8. Love these! What a great combo!

by Jenny Flake on Mar 28, 2011 at 10:55 am

9. Great combination!

by Maria on Mar 28, 2011 at 10:58 am

10. Love your site. The cupcakes look amazing, I wish mine always turned out so beautiful. Yum, yum and more yum!

by maggie on Mar 28, 2011 at 11:33 am

11. I love the addition of Cardamon – what a delicious cupcake!

by Kristen on Mar 28, 2011 at 11:44 am

12. Your baked creations never fail to make me hungry! These look amazing!!

by Fuji Mama on Mar 28, 2011 at 12:03 pm

13. Those look wonderful. I bet they taste amazing.

by carolinaheartstrings on Mar 28, 2011 at 12:38 pm

14. LOVE cardamom- good idea tucking it inside of buttercream!

by Lori @ RecipeGirl on Mar 28, 2011 at 1:02 pm

15. I love cardamom! These look incredible.

by Jessica @ How Sweet on Mar 28, 2011 at 1:51 pm

16. for some reason, i can’t recall the flavor of cardamom. but these cupcakes are too cute! i’ll have to buy a jar and give them a shot.

by emily @ the happy home on Mar 28, 2011 at 2:15 pm

17. Oh wow… Cardamom buttercream sounds just incredible! Can’t wait to try this out.

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Mar 28, 2011 at 2:43 pm

18. *sigh* They look like first place to me!!!

by bridget {bake at 350} on Mar 28, 2011 at 2:45 pm

19. Jaw is dropping! Love this creative combo 🙂

by Amanda @ Kevin & Amanda on Mar 28, 2011 at 2:50 pm

20. I just got some cardamom and was wondering what to do with it, and when I saw this post on twitter, I clicked right over! They look so good!!

by megan @ whatmegansmaking on Mar 28, 2011 at 3:22 pm

21. These look so tasty! Great recipe. I love learning new cupcake recipes 🙂

by Katrina on Mar 28, 2011 at 4:19 pm

22. i’m wary of spicy/sweet combos, but you’re winning me over with this one!!

by what katie's baking on Mar 28, 2011 at 4:27 pm

23. Tracy, you hit a home run with this icing. I can imagine how good the cardamom tastes.

by Cookin' Canuck on Mar 28, 2011 at 4:28 pm

24. Love. Interesting flavors!

by Christina @ This Woman Cooks! on Mar 28, 2011 at 6:02 pm

25. This sounds like a beautiful combination of flavors – I would love to have one right now!!

by Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles on Mar 28, 2011 at 8:27 pm

26. LOVE cardamom. I buy the green pods and grind it myself; it’s incredible.

You are genius to put this flavor profile together.Now I’m craving some.

by Aimee @ Simple Bites on Mar 28, 2011 at 8:59 pm

27. I’ve had spicy hot chocolate and spicy chocolate bars but never a spicy chocolate cupcake! And that cardamom buttercream sounds fantastic!

by Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen on Mar 28, 2011 at 9:37 pm

28. I love all your recipes, and this one just confirms it!

by Sherry Greek on Mar 28, 2011 at 10:46 pm

29. What a great sounding cupcake! I don’t think I’ve ever had cardamom before.

by Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen on Mar 28, 2011 at 11:48 pm

30. Haha I KNEW I recognized those cupcake liners from somewhere! I’ve got a few sitting in a basket behind me…and I think they are going to need to be made into these cupcakes. That cardamom frosting…sounds divine. Cardamom is one of my favorite flavors to incorporate into baked goods!

by Joanne on Mar 29, 2011 at 7:09 am

31. OOh Cardamom Buttercream sounds like the best thing ever.

by Megabite on Mar 29, 2011 at 9:37 am

32. These looks YUMMY! I could eat them up this morning.

by Robyn | Add a Pinch on Mar 29, 2011 at 11:00 am

33. SO beautiful! I am a big fan of anything flavored with cardamom!

by Jamie | My Baking Addiction on Mar 29, 2011 at 7:00 pm

34. These look and sound AMAZINGLY delicious!!

by Mo'Betta on Mar 29, 2011 at 9:31 pm

35. Love the combo of flavors and I’m a huge lover of dark chocolate so these are already on my list to try soon. These look and sound amazing!!

by Heather @ Multiply Delicious on Mar 30, 2011 at 4:59 am

36. Wow…chili pepper flakes in cupcakes! I am intrigued! I bet they are delicious…especially with the cardamom buttercream! Mmm… 🙂

by Christina @ Sweet Pea's Kitchen on Mar 30, 2011 at 11:54 pm

37. This is a great recipe for winter!!! Yummy yum. I want to try making them but I’m wondering….how many grams/ounces is one stick of butter?

by Freya on Apr 1, 2011 at 8:56 pm

38. Wow! Now this is an amazing recipe. Such unique flavors. With your permission, I’d like to post the recipe on my chocolate blog. My readers will go nuts!

by Annmarie Kostyk, Chocolate Goddess on Apr 2, 2011 at 11:52 am

39. wow–i fell in love with cardamom about a year ago!!! i cant wait to make these!!!

by WenDee Riffe on Apr 11, 2011 at 8:13 pm

40. I can’t wait to try these! They sound awesome!

by Bre Mahaney on Jan 5, 2012 at 8:09 pm